Spam E-Mail

jc2

In the last 4-6 weeks, I've had a noticeable daily increase from 4 to as many as 8 spam e-mails from purported skp members,(who are usually indicated as new members)covering a multitude of subject matter, ie; skin care, body building/sculpting, hair products, etc. I just mark those as spam mail and the names don't reappear again but the next day, new names/subject matter show up in new e-mails. Has anyone else been having the same problem? :angry:

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

I didn't know if others were getting this trash, so just stopped watching this forum for a half a year, went back and there was less but starting up again may have to move on.

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Even though the spam e-mails are irritating, the excellent info that is received here from other forum members far out weighs this. Beside , I just took advantage of the current low price and extended my membership to Dec-2016. :D

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

If you don't put your e-mail in your profile the spammers won't be able to find it to send you spam. Sadly that is the best method of keeping that from happening.

If you are getting mail from the Escapees server about PM spam messages you should use the report button on the PM to report the spam. You can also turn off the e-mail notification about new PMs so you don't get the spam by e-mail too, on your next visit the forum will still show you the "new pm" icon when you have one so it won't be missed. If it was a spam PM it will be deleted if the spammer is reported and someone has time to act on the report.

There are a number of folks working to keep down the spam posts as we (weekend moderators) look at the forums and when we find them we can ban the spammer.

You as a member can report the post spam you see, that will often get the spam blocked faster than waiting for one of us to see it. The only way PM spam can be dealt with is if it is reported.

You can also help if you notice a member with a spam profile, pushing pills or whatever. Take a few seconds to click the report link there and help get their spam deleted.

Spam reports are sent to the admin team to be dealt with, sadly we don't have a dedicated crew to cover this 24x7 so it is done as time is available.

I don't think you can see the deleted spam posts or banned users but there are probably about a dozen posts hidden as spam daily, the number of banned users varies but it is usually several per day up to a couple dozen. The forum also auto-bans some folks based on their IP or e-mail address.

The only thing that will reduce the amount of spam is folks reporting it so it can be deleted and the posters banned. If a spammer manages to get their profile or a post up with a spam link and it stays for an hour it was worth their effort.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The problem may not be SPAM email from the Escapee forum rather that you have subscribed to have each post emailed to you. We moderators and the admin crew both work to remove those posts but there is nothing that we can do to prevent you from setting up to receive each post by email as it is made. If you subscribe to any forum to get all posts by email, you will have the exact same problem but most forums do not allow you to do this.

If you will just go to the button at the upper right of each of the forums that is marked "Follow This Forum" and click on it you will see that it is checked in "Receive notification instantly." If you will remove that check and leave it that way for each forum you won't get the spam and we who do the work will have the opportunity to remove it before you you ever see it in most cases. Give that a try and you may be pleasantly surprised!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

SPAM is just the 'cost' of being on the internet today. Sort of like the Sunday and Monday fillers in the papers of yesterday. Delete and move on.

Sorry Bill, I have to disagree. I refuse to be held hostage by fillers, spammers and other unsolicited email AND adverts on web pages.

First, I use Chrome (yea, I know) or FireFox because they both integrate with AdBlock Plus (knocks out most advertisements on web pages). My email addresses are all piped through the providers' spam filters and I use Thunderbird as my client so I can create whitelists which eliminates email from anyone I don't know. Both the wife and I accept PM's from folks on the forums we participate in and will swap email addresses (including them in our whitelists) when the occasion arises.

As for the OP, its what Kirk says, probably subscribed to a discussion where the spammers posted, hence they got it in email. Fortunately, getting spam that way doesn't mean your email address was compromised.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Archived