Gas/Diesel Prices

coachmac9

It's really pretty simple, the oil companies charge what they can get away with. They know we have to have it ,and they charge what they want. No one can make them do any different, they are the most powerful industry and that includes our government!

Oil companies do not set the price of oil (it can be effected by amount of production to some degree). Oil prices are set on the open market by commodity traders. Oil companies make " a lot" of money because of the sheer volume of oil sold, but your state and federal government make MUCH more money off of a gallon of gas then oil companies do and the government has no cost involved...free money.

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really pretty simple, the oil companies charge what they can get away with. They know we have to have it ,and they charge what they want. No one can make them do any different, they are the most powerful industry and that includes our government!

Why do you "have to have it"? Cut them off, go off the grid, go green, drop out. Personally, I am extremely grateful for the luxury and convenience of an affordable and reliable source of energy which makes my life easier and more comfortable than any other society in history. But, that's just me.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I have no complaint at all when the prices of fuel are below $3.00 a gallon, be it gas or diesel. I have used gas buddy when I was traveling as well as AllStays.com for lodging or camping. I feel really pleased that the prediction of fuel was to be above $5.00 gl. as we know if its has any to do with luxury or recreation; it cost more to play!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

In reality we shouldn't be looking at the current price. But rather the 'affordability' of fuel. I haven't got the data but my bet is that a gallon of fuel now costs far less, as a percentage of wages, than it has since they discovered the darn stuff. (Google would get the figures). Look at the cost of a gallon of fuel as a percentage of the 'average' wage. Then start a new debate.

regards

In reality we shouldn't be looking at the current price. But rather the 'affordability' of fuel. I haven't got the data but my bet is that a gallon of fuel now costs far less, as a percentage of wages, than it has since they discovered the darn stuff. (Google would get the figures). Look at the cost of a gallon of fuel as a percentage of the 'average' wage. Then start a new debate.

regards

You may be right. However, I do remember as a teen working in a minimum wage type job making $.65 per hour, I was paying $.15 to $.19 per gallon for gasoline. That's pretty close to today's $8.25 per hour paying $2.50 per gallon.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

You may be right. However, I do remember as a teen working in a minimum wage type job making $.65 per hour, I was paying $.15 to $.19 per gallon for gasoline. That's pretty close to today's $8.25 per hour paying $2.50 per gallon.

How much was the house you lived in worth when you made .65 an hour? What is that same house selling for today? I have to admit I hate to see the price of fuel go up just like anyone else, but in the grand scheme of things (inflation) we have been lucky for a long time. When I made $3.35 an hour gas was abut .77 a gallon...then Valdez happened and it went over a buck for a while. Minimum wage here is $9.25 an hour so the ratio is as good or better now as when you were a kid then what it was when I was a kid.

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

One of the 'problems' now days is not the cost of 'stuff'. It's the fact that we want more 'stuff'. So we are trying to divide our money pie into smaller pieces to have more 'stuff'. Also once upon a time we drove our cars for limited 'critical' tasks such as the driving theater, drive in hamburger hang out, cruising and the occasional burnout. OK maybe not so occasional burnout! Now we drive our cars all the time. So we are using more fuel. Therefore spending more on fuel and thus feeling the cost pressures more.

regards

• 2 weeks later...

On the trip from Florida to Iowa there were many stations across Alabama, Mississippi and Missouri with gas prices equal to or HIGHER than Diesel Fuel. Hopefully it's a trend to what we had before diesel fuel lower in price than gasoline.

Rod

ps bought fuel for $2.48 today in Missouri between Sikeston and St. Louis.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

attachicon.gifgas.jpgToday in Spring, Texas

Hahaha that is $1.03 a gallon for diesel less than the station down the street from my house and $.60 less than the cheapest station closest to my house. Incredible!!

My Other vehicle is a Chevy Volt which I use very little fuel. So it's almost a wash..... Almost..

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

• 1 month later...

Diesel currently here is running about $2.20 to $2.29.

Gasoline is at $2.15 at most stations in the area of Lindale & Van, TX. We are along I-20 about exit 540 to 556.

There is a new Buckee's station on I-20 in Terrell, TX (along with Murphy, Brookshires, & QuikTrip) that are selling both for $1.99.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Gas prices here in Metro Detroit have jumped as well - we're up in to $2.90+ in my neighborhood. Fortunately, the price of diesel has remained constant with $2.69 being pretty common. First time in years that I recall diesel being significantly less than gasoline! I'm definitely liking my diesel pusher this week! :D

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Filled up the motorcycle this morning at $2.45 and same station on way home tonight $2.59. It had been $2.69 a few days before when 90 miles away it was $2.44. NO rhyme or reason for this other than someone playing with the market. Will we ever learn?

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Filled up yesterday here in Nova Scotia $1.079 / liter. Best I've seen it here is $.98.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Are we complaining again or just pleased that the prediction about a year back stated $5.00 a gallon! :huh::huh: Some won't ever be happy; :(:( . Here in the Nashville Tn. area the price of 87 octane has been at 2.15.9/10 for a week now; diesel has been about 249.9/10. Enjoy this while it lasts as OPEC most likely will put the brakes on shortly. B)B)

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Archived