Parallel parking a motor home?

OK! Lets get down to what one has been asked to do by the DPS Officer:

1. Pull your rig up along side of a curb where there are no other vehicles, OR

2. Pull your rig and park it between cars (vehicles) that are actually in front and behind where you will be parking your rig?

Which of THESE have you ACTUALLY been asked to do?

Please and Thank You!

In Livingston TX in 2006, it was "1. Pull your rig up along side of a curb where there are no other vehicles," for me ...as I recall the tires had to be w/i apx 8" of the curb.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

When I took my class A CDL they marked off a space 15' longer than the semi and trailer. Had to parellel park in that spot. They allowed one chance to pull forward is all. I have parked the 5er like that only a couple of times. I prefer a spotter.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

IMHO if you cannot back up your rig properly regardless if it is a 5th wheel or bus you should not be driving it, period, as you shows your skill set for driving is lacking and you do not take your responsibilities as a driver serious.

There are vehicles which can not be safely backed. In the RV world it is a motorhome with a vehicle on a tow-bar but any vehicle that is towed on a tow-bar can't be safely backed. So are you telling us that nobody should be allowed to drive with a vehicle on a tow-bar?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On backing RVs:

It has been my experience working in campgrounds for almost 15 years that about 30% of the trailer owners I encounter are "backing challenged" and about 20% or less of the MH owners. Those are "non-scientific" guesses/opinion. But even if my numbers are off, MH drivers tend to be way better in my observation than trailer drivers.

I personally doubt if 5% of the trailer drivers could parallel park a trailer with only 15' of room to do so.(over the trailer length).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In Arizona required CDL - A and had to straight back. offset back. and parallel park. With practice ti is not so bad lime most things. It is right the location of the axles on a RV is different location than a commercial trailer and I think makes the RV a little harder. For course if the commercial trailer is a spread axle it is a different beast. Practice so you can do it and if they don't test awesome if they do test you good to go as well. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Long before the CDL came into being, the retired OTR driver who taught me to drive, back, and park a tractor-trailer began with this "anyone who can drive a car can drive a semi down a highway, parking and backing is where you make your money". That was so long ago I wouldn't know how to start a semi today.

IMO, backing and parking a MH is much easier than our 40' 5er was.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived