Installing Jackalopee with Hayes controller ?'s

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to install a Jackalopee and a Hayes brake controller. I am a rookie at doing this kind of work. I was hoping that the Jackalopee can help with the install of the Hayes controller wires. There are three wires coming off of the Hayes controller. A blue, red, and black wire. I understand that the black wire goes to the positive side of the battery. Or could I pick up 12 volts off of the Jackalopee ? The blue wire goes to the connector for the trailer brakes. Can I pick up this source from the Jackalopee ? The red wire goes to the mechanical stoplight switch. Can I pick up this source also from the Jackalopee ? I am also planning to put in some terminal blocks to help install the Jackalopee this way I can isolate any problem that I might have. I got this idea from Jim of Jim & Alie. Is there anything that I am missing ? I need to have this work finished before the '16 ECR. I don't like how the brakes react on the trailer.

Thank you for any and all help,

Al

I have also looked at the resource guide with no luck. If I have passed something up please point me in the right direction.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

AL,

If I recall the Jackalopee has all you need. Here is the installation manual, see if it answers your question.

http://rvhaulers.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Jackalopee-Manual1.pdf

I think page 5 may be what you need.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Alan- you should be able to connect the "red" wire to the brake light terminal on your terminal strips. Put a fuse in line on the black power wire near the battery. The "Blue" connects straight to the Jackalopee. The Jack takes care of it from there.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hi Guys,

This info is going to help. If I have more questions later, I will post them. But for now things look good.

Thanks for the help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived