One of these days... The HDT's Big Brother

bmzero

If you don't mind it's terrible fuel mileage, horrible ride, low top speed, terrible interior, difficulty to get parts, and expensive/loud tires this would make for an awesome RV tug.

I will probably spend way too much time trying to rationalize buying one of these. I'm afraid, despite the terrible logic, I REALLY want one. Being a Marine, I'm familiar with these trucks, so I should definitely know better.

http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Trucks-Conventional-Tractor-1994-Oshkosh-M1070-8x8-HET-Truck-New-Mexico/668542

24184985464_413290d6c9_o.jpg

24813167255_9c63c1dbac_o.jpg

It would probably handle my toy hauler pretty well.

24696237492_3eeb831daa_b.jpg

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Even as young as you are, one trip to Cali in it you will be selling it wanting your Volvo back! He heck with the fuel mileage your body will revolt

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Even as young as you are, one trip to Cali in it you will be selling it wanting your Volvo back! He heck with the fuel mileage your body will revolt

That's a fact, but oh man would it be cool!

Just use the fact that you only have to buy 8 tires in lieu of 10 to justify it. Or drop an axle and only make it 6 wheel drive.

A little paint and chrome with a modular bed to make it look nice.

An air ride seat and nice stereo to make the ride better and drown out the noise from the tires

Yep, we want one!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

But think, 8 wheel drive, no more getting stuck on wet grass!

That just might do it right there! That's one of my biggest issues with the Volvo. We do a lot of camping in fields and off road race parks. They're not known for their asphalt. Generally I would be in Johnson Valley right now for King of the Hammers. That's literally a large dry lake bed and would wreak havoc on the Volvo's traction-ability. I doubt it would be a problem for the HET. :D

Yep, we want one!

See, they're growing on you.

Build it out into a motorhome ( truck convertion) and pull a stacker

That would definitely be the plan, but not just any buildout and not just any stacker, but a bonafide off grid sustainable tactical machine. Think of it as the Kira Van's evil twin. It would be built to "deploy" two RZR's and a street vehicle.

You see, I am already spending too much time thinking about this. Not good.

I would definitely remove the back axle. I mean, come on, 8 tires would just be excessive. :lol:

I remember looking at these on Gov Liquidation several years ago, I had to pick something up at Fort Riley and saw fields of them. I did a bit of research on them, it seems all the ones for sale are the older NTC powered ones. The newer ones will cruise at 65 and get 30% better fuel consumption.

I had a Unimog for a while and like the HET it would go anywhere, just not get there very quickly. To cover a lot of ground they don't make sense. If you think a couple tires short is a good deal, wait until you need some new shoes for that baby!

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

If you don't mind it's terrible fuel mileage, low power, horrible ride, terrible interior, difficulty to get parts, and expensive/loud tires this would make for an awesome RV tug.

All those things make the project more "fulfilling". Projects without adversities are BORING. 7K miles, it's not even broken in.

Successful engineers live for adversities and thrive on adversities. The rest of the world (normal folks) think that each one of us has a few screws missing, but are usually to polite to tell us this.

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me it couldn't be done.

I feel like this forum is very accepting of my *issues* (ie screws missing). :D Most of us are driving class 8 trucks around. I think we all fit into this category just a little bit.

Aren't these thing over 102" wide? As in have to be permitted on highway? I know the military doesn't have to worry about such things, but us mere mortals would.

If that is not an issue, why not go the whole route and design a trailer fitting for such use? The military has all sorts of specialty trailers that would be ripe for conversion. Let me know when you pull into the next unsuspecting campground, I want to see the reaction on the managers face...

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Aren't these thing over 102" wide? As in have to be permitted on highway? I know the military doesn't have to worry about such things, but us mere mortals would.

If that is not an issue, why not go the whole route and design a trailer fitting for such use? The military has all sorts of specialty trailers that would be ripe for conversion. Let me know when you pull into the next unsuspecting campground, I want to see the reaction on the managers face...

According to the Internets, they're 102" wide.

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/hets.htm

There would obviously be some "challenges" with one of these as a RV. However, surprised park managers would probably rank low on the list. Good point, though.

Archived