HDT commercial to private truck status change

Lance Williams

Just got off the phone with az dmv too try and find out what is required to change a commercial truck to private for a toter. They tell me I need a cdl and it would still remain a commercial registration etc. Unless the combined weight was under 26000 lbs. Is this correct?? Are there other options in other state's ?? I have a f350 ford dually that has a Max combined weight of 20000. The fiver gross weight is 17999. Which is more than I can legally tow. I want to find a hdt for my hauler. I've driven dump trucks etc for years but all off road and never needed a cdl. Can some one please help me clear Thu up?? I'm stuck! Lancewilliams767@gmail.com Thanks

You need to go to the HHRV Resource Guide and do some reading in The HDT Decision.

Just a quick answer on 26,000 lbs. A 16,000 truck could only pull a 10,000 trailer.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Just got off the phone with az dmv too try and find out what is required to change a commercial truck to private for a toter. They tell me I need a cdl and it would still remain a commercial registration etc. Unless the combined weight was under 26000 lbs. Is this correct?? Are there other options in other state's ?? I have a f350 ford dually that has a Max combined weight of 20000. The fiver gross weight is 17999. Which is more than I can legally tow. I want to find a hdt for my hauler. I've driven dump trucks etc for years but all off road and never needed a cdl. Can some one please help me clear Thu up?? I'm stuck! Lancewilliams767@gmail.com Thanks

Do more checking from my discussions with the Arizona Commercial DMV said you can specify registration weight. Which i did under 26,000 lbs because of Blue Sky insurance they would call the truck a MDT not and HDT and then could insure it. In addition to titling my tandem axle Frightliner a private truck itself or GVW had to be under 26,001 lbs which I did. In addition all vehicles in Arizona 3/4 ton or larger are registered as commercial. That does not mean it cannot be titled a private truck. I was told once to think of it as a vehicle capable of commercial use but is not.

Finally as to drivers license it is true if the Combines weight is over 26,001 lbs you need a class A CDL. Also and this I suspect there is a lot of pickup truck drivers driving out of class a CDL needed if trailer is over 10,000 lbs. as far as I know this has not been enforced and if it need be a B or A CDL depends on if the combined weight is over or under 26,001 lbs.

Confused yet? Other states have other requirements including no CDL required just the same drivers license as need to drive you passenger car. Hope this helps though did not fix you problem for Arizona.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Wow, I'm confused with all the weight and tech talk regarding Trucks, recreational use, and licensing. Visited the Tampa RV Show and it seemed a "Non Issue" for the $2.3 million Prevost Coach that is 45 feet long, 13.5 feet tall, weighing 54K lbs that can also tow a vehicle.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Wow, I'm confused with all the weight and tech talk regarding Trucks, recreational use, and licensing. Visited the Tampa RV Show and it seemed a "Non Issue" for the $2.3 million Prevost Coach that is 45 feet long, 13.5 feet tall, weighing 54K lbs that can also tow a vehicle.

Anytime you step outside the box it can be a hassle. Most state regulators suffer from a (well deserved) case of tunnel vision. Sometimes that is the only way they can survive. Some states licensing a HDT as an RV is smooth if done right, some a bit of a hassle, others impossible to do.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I just posted all the info for Arizona in another forum..... here ya are!

Policy13.2.3

signed into law May 1, 2004 under "MOTORHOME"

Arizona Revised Statue

28-101

28-1095

28-2097

28-4301

32-1172

41-2142

Listen.... I live in Phoenix, talked to 5 different officers, some were DPS, and not one knew of this law letting you convert to an RV. I have my truck registered in South Dakota...... I wish I would have found this earlier. My friend from Wllcox sent the info to my yesterday after talking to the DMV there.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

It becomes very important to differentiate between Gross Weight (translation: the numbers you see on a scale receipt, comprising the actual "gross" weight of the dry vehicle, fluids/fuel, and driver) and Gross Weight Rating (translation: manufacturer's official statement of maximum safe weight for the vehicle, beyond which you'll have a Very Bad Day if an incident happens and the insurance people get involved).

I have a LLC in Montana, and have my truck, 5th wheel and a gooseneck trailer tagged there.

I used Bennet Law Office to set this up, LLC cost was about 1200.00, and has a 150.00 a year maintenance fee, but with no sales tax, personal property tax this is cheep for me.

I did this because Montana has no sales tax, no personal property tag, and a life time tag for my truck was about 225.00, I think the same for the trailers, but just don't remember at this point.

I got insurance with National interstate for both the Hdt and 5er with Destination Financial Services in Montana also. .

Not for all but does work well for me.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

All this LLC workaround is for Full-Timers. If you are not a Full-Timer and going to keep the truck where you live, then the state you are in will not care who owns the truck (you or the LLC), it is still "garaged" (usually 30 days) in your state and subject to your state registration rules. Full-timers can keep moving to prevent the "garaged" status.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

MT - save the LLC attorney fees - become a MT resident. Not difficult.

(Degree of difficulty may vary depending on county.).

BTW the "LLC Workaround" *may* create problems with no solutions (w/documented grief) in *some* states.

Glitch = LLC .....Limited Liability *COMPANY*.

COMPANY and COMMERCIAL *may* be synonymous terms to the "powers that be".

Your job to prove you are *not* commercial - which may be easy or difficult.

(The MT LLC attys only represent you in MT)

Your dice to roll... :)

~

MT - save the LLC attorney fees - become a MT resident. Not difficult.

(Degree of difficulty may vary depending on county.).

Part of the reason people form a MT LLC is to keep their current residency while avoiding sales tax on high dollar items. Same states have caught on to this and have gone after the people who do it to avoid the taxes. I read one story of FLORIDA RESIDENT being prosecuted and lost a lot more than what they gained.

(edited to specify the person was a Florida resident & owned property in Fla, not just someone in Florida)

Part of the reason people form a MT LLC is to keep their current residency while avoiding sales tax on high dollar items. Same states have caught on to this and have gone after the people who do it to avoid the taxes. I read one story of a person in Florida being prosecuted and losing a lot more than what they gained.

This is true, but in my case I use a X bro-in-laws address that's in a gated community for a permanent address, I as well as another forum member live at a RV sales and repair facility, so when I am in town I am in for service.

This works for me.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Archived