Finally pulled the trigger on an HDT!

RoadWarrior420

I would like to thank this forum for the INVALUABLE wealth of knowledge you have provided for me in helping pick out and purchase the right HDT. I looked at 780's, 670's and finally found a 730. I live in NY (Long Island) and made two trips one to Chicago and the other to Nashville. There were countless phone calls, several deposits on trucks throughout the US and Canada pending oil analysis and inspections and MANY hours on the internet late into the night researching and asking questions. I am going to have more questions I am sure!

Here is the link

2013 Volvo VNL 730 D13 IShift 455,000 miles

https://goo.gl/photos/BN1f1SAzy6r752Tt9

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking truck. Congratulations!

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Congrats. Nice looking 730. Can you tell me how you ended up finding it?

We are just starting our search for a 730 also.

Thanks

I found that one in Nashville. They got 5 of them and there are 3 left. You can call Nacarato Volvo and ask for Bryan Sasser. I did extensive searching on the web, tons of research and even made two trips to see trucks. I am picking mine up on Tuesday and driving it back. 730's are tough to find.

Can't wait to see some inside photos. Do you plan to post any?

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Congratulations on your purchase. We expect to see you at an HDT rally now.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

RoadWarrior, Steve in Huntington here. Congratulations! Can't wait to see your new Rig. Couple of questions. How will you register your truck here in NY or will you register elsewhere? Also, do you have a CDL? Those two items are the only thing holding me up from pulling the trigger here in the land of NO.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

RoadWarrior, Steve in Huntington here. Congratulations! Can't wait to see your new Rig. Couple of questions. How will you register your truck here in NY or will you register elsewhere? Also, do you have a CDL? Those two items are the only thing holding me up from pulling the trigger here in the land of NO.

Hi Steve,

I am going to attempt to register it as a motorhome (adding porta potty, microwave and sink), my insurance company is rating me as an over the road for now (6k per year ouch)BUT I have to get a non CDL "R" endorsement. I have the permit for that already and am bringing a friend with CDL to go pick it up. Just to be safe. I won't be stopping at any weigh stations on way up as im told i don't have to. Then I have to take a road test and I'll be good. I already removed the commercial hitch and have Private Coach Not For Hire decals being put on.

I am REALLY rooting for you to succeed! My reading of the DMV stuff is that over 26000# tandem is a CDL required truck. Please keep us informed as if you succeed, I'll be right behind you. Funny thing I bought my Smart from a fellow forum member about 10 miles from the dealership you bought from in Murfreesboro TN. It's a beautiful part of the country to drive home through.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I am REALLY rooting for you to succeed! My reading of the DMV stuff is that over 26000# tandem is a CDL required truck. Please keep us informed as if you succeed, I'll be right behind you. Funny thing I bought my Smart from a fellow forum member about 10 miles from the dealership you bought from in Murfreesboro TN. It's a beautiful part of the country to drive home through.

I went to both DOT and NYS DMV. Anything over 26,000 lbs being used personally is a non cdl R endorsement.

I'm a little partial to the 730's myself. Good looking truck you have.

I drove mine back solo about 10 hours. No CDL and no weigh station stops. No issues. Now registered as a RV in Alabama.

Also, I wouldn't rule out the potential to add a Smart or other vehicle on the bed. You never know what the future will hold. We also pull a toy hauler with my wife and 2 kids with usually a RZR in the trailer. I use the Smart often to run out to the grocery store or other similar errands.

Good luck with the build.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Archived