ALASKA 2016

jags1fan

Yup, reservations are open early this year. Rick may be able to confirm, but I don't think there are any overnight pull-outs on the Ice Fields Parkway, and pull-outs in the Banff and Jasper regions are limited.

Edit to add: Get your butt in gear, and get reservations made. You're looking at the unofficial opening of camping season in very busy campground.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Rick.

How do you think Lake Louise will be during this time period? Wish we could make reservations for LL.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

Thanks Rick.

How do you think Lake Louise will be during this time period? Wish we could make reservations for LL.

I think it will be very busy and probably full as Darryl mentioned being the opening weekend and a holiday long weekend. This is always our first outing of the season. I just checked and there are a few sites left at Tunnel Mtn Trailer Court for that weekend Section C #436 may even get satellite reception if needed.

Rick, what about the gas station @ Saskatchewan Crossing?

Darryl.

We have stopped there but never stayed overnight there. Just went to the Saskatchewan Crossing (51°58'24.7"N 116°44'48.0"W) website and it does mention overnight RV parking.

Thanks Rick and Darryl,

I heeded your advice and booked 2 sites for Tunnel Mtn. We are traveling with another couple who have a Class A towing a car so we could not afford to get shut out of sites. We will be in 443 and they will be across from us in 344.

Now we know why the reservation site crashed the morning of January 13 when it opened for business and we also now know why we could not get the 3 days at Whistler in Jasper we wanted. Busy time of year up there, ay?

Looking forward to see this magnificent area!

Cheers,

Les

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

Rick,

We will be at Tunnel arriving 5/19 and departing 5/23. We are taking our time on this trip to Alaska as we would rather say there is nothing else to see so let's sit and relax or maybe let's go revisit an area than to say wish we had more time to see this area or we short changed ourselves.

Thanks again for the heads up....

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone adding insights and information to this thread. I'm ready to "hit the road", but we have 1 more month at home base in FL to finish up some things. Crossville TN for April and then we will begin heading West! Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new friends at the ECR. Still have not decided where we plan to cross into Canada this year. In 2014, we crossed just North of St Mary, Montana (East Glacier side) and that was a great experience. On our return trip we picked a crossing too close to Vancouver (because we were heading to Seattle area) -- you can bet we won't do that again. 1 hour wait - but no holdups once we were at the "crossing guard window".

Really would like to see some of Saskatchewan this time, Lake Louise/Banff area, Prince Rupert - but again, haven't decided if that on the way going or coming.

THANK YOU, JEMSTONE, for reminding everyone to get a copy of the Milepost. We found that invaluable on the 2014 trip. 2016 Milepost is out off the press now! Got our copy last week.

Hope to cross paths with everyone this summer in Canada or Alaska, or along the way. Post as often as you can, so we can find each other. MAYBE we should use this thread to continue the posts of where we are and what wonderful sights your are seeing???

There is a TRUCKER Fuel stop we always use in Whitehorse. Talk to the owner and he'll give you a discount...and mention our name (Raymond/Janet Church) we used him both ways in '14 and told him we'd share the information. Felt comfortable using a fueling stop where truckers go....sure to get fresh fuel, right? Dawson Creek had a Flying J (or something) -- I will get Raymond to post the information on this thread about fuel stops we found.

Safe travels to all. Enjoy your adventures all along the way!

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

• 2 months later...

Let's stay in touch on this. Would be great to travel with another HDT.

We are also planning a trip to Alaska in 2017. Would love to keep up with you and Jack for the trip. Will also follow this thread closely!

Ed and Teresa Haagsma

Ed & Teresa Haagsma

2016 New Horizons 45' custom. New Horizons ambassador

2009 Volvo 780 "Remington". Converted by RVHaulers

2015 Smart "Remora"

Just noticed some 2017 travelers on this thread. Our daughter lives just NE of Fairbanks, we plan a summers visit in & around that area in 2017. I'll start paying more attention to the post & see if we can't travel with or catch up to some of you next year.

Todd & Beth

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Archived