Lowliner.......A HDT That Can Fast Food Drive Through with the Pickups

Dollytrolley

OK it is a beater but.........with a couple tons of $$$ it could be a slinky .........ride...

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5350184375.html

00k0k_5ILDKm0yBkD_50x50c.jpg

Or........... Go SHORT & Low......

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/hvd/5349423785.html

01414_gGUtJSGpuUM_600x450.jpg

Drive on.........(How Short & Low........can U go......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I would stay away from sleeper low cab forwards. Almost all of the were set up for car hauler configurations, a very expensive conversion. Any company that had them ran them for a ton of miles, sold them to increasingly cheaper companies who skimped on maintenance until they just couldn't go. Same thing that is happening to the Argosy's set up for car hauling now.

If anyone has the hots for a cabover there are still relatively clean ones kicking around.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I would stay away from sleeper low cab forwards. Almost all of the were set up for car hauler configurations, a very expensive conversion. Any company that had them ran them for a ton of miles, sold them to increasingly cheaper companies who skimped on maintenance until they just couldn't go. Same thing that is happening to the Argosy's set up for car hauling now.

If anyone has the hots for a cabover there are still relatively clean ones kicking around.

Indeed Jeff,

As the old ads used to say........:"Ask the man that owns one"....... great insights....

Your Argosy is a "Hard-Working-Show-Machine" and this is obvious from the photo's in your album......and you are correct in that the vast majority of Cabovers are not show truck at all and many are overworked and under-maintained .........likely a money-pit for sure......

The short Nine-Foot-Eleven-Inch wheelbase of the truck in second listing would be a "heck-of-a-ride" bobtailing down old Hyw 99 in central California (wear your dirt-bike-kidney-belt) ...........sorta reminds me of a copilot I knew that used to hit the bars pretty hard and then cram a bunch of pesos into the "magic-fingers"-bed-vibrator in the cheap / sleazy hotels on the overnites in Uruguay.........he said the rough-ride just helps to tire you out so you can......sleep better..........(no I always upgraded to the better crash-pads.....without "magic-fingers"....).

For sure the car-haulers are a special breed of animals but they seem to garner pretty good prices for their work.....just do not seem to spend too much on their trucks.....

"Grumps" was able to "steal" a low-mile COE FWD Wagner HD 4 X 4 super-short surplus "Ordinance-mule" (bomb-hauler) at a gvt-surplus sale.....the thing had springs right out of a Baldwin Locomotive and the wheel-base was about the same as a ........shopping cart........"Grumps

turned it into a service-rig for working on the dozers in the woods.......the driven steer axle did not turn too sharp but the very short wheel base made up for it.......but.......the gvt buyer forgot to eqip the mule with power steering so it was a adventure to herd-around in the woods........what a ride........not much seat-time.....you just hung onto the wheel and flailed around inside the gvt-gray cab.....

Oh the old-dayzzz......

Drive on...........(Hang on.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• 1 month later...

So I've read all the negatives of the older COE's as a toter but I can't help drooling over. And then I happened into this....1989 freightliner fla, Cummins big cam 400, 500k, asphalt tank truck driven seasonally, well maintained, 200". My biggest concern has been the short wheel base, and forget removing a set. But this looks like it's begging for a flat bed, and with a 3.42 it would fly.https://goo.gl/photos/s68NWYNdGV6cTYLV6

Archived