Winter Wanderings

rickeieio

Phil, thanks for the tip on Houston. I normally try to avoid big towns. Been bit a few times, the worst being downtown Calgary on a Friday afternoon.

Rick, to expand on what Phil D said, I live on the east of Houston and need to cross through town, to the west, to head for San Antonio tomorrow. I hope to be on the road by 4:30 am (5 at the latest) to avoid traffic.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On the eastern side, 77 south to 281 which is just past Corpus Christi is a nice drive. It continues down to the RGV

But to get to US 77, he'll have already been through Houston. Actually, even the US 59 segment isn't too bad once you're south of Sugar Land, even better after Rosenberg, and usually clear sailing once you're out of Fort Bend County (except for the small towns along 59 & 77, and they're nothing like driving in Harris and Fort Bend Counties.

The trick in getting through those small towns without incident is remembering that they're dead serious about their speed limits, and before you leave town you're almost certainly going to pass a local cop somewhere that's waiting for someone that isn't paying attention.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I'm looking at picking up 77 at Waco. I'd much rather meander through farm land than get stressed in traffic.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I've driven 77 between Waco and Victoria once. There are quite a few small towns, but the road is decent. South of Victoria it's divided four-lane highway, except in the small towns. There's a little bit of construction between Robstown and Kingsville, but nothing to be concerned about (both US 77 from Victoria to Brownsville and US 281 from Three Rivers to Pharr are being upgraded to Interstate specs, after which they'll be designated as I 69E and I 69C respectively).

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 2 weeks later...

So, we're in Retama Village, enjoying the weather, surroundings, and friendly people. We spent the afternoon and evening with Phil and Kathy D., and Kathy made a great supper for us.

After the ice cream, Phil and I were discussing my recent brake controller issues. He asked what controller I put in to continue the trip after the max-brake failed, and I replied that we got a cheap NAPA unit, which isn't very effective, but it at least gives me the option of using the slide bar if things get ugly.

We discussed the merits of Blue Dot, since I already have hydraulic discs. I might be the way to go.

So, between spoons of Blue Bell, I mentioned that with Blue Dot, ant commercial truck could pull my trailer, but the lights would still be a problem. More ice cream............. Why does no one mount the Jackalopee on the trailer? Any commercial truck could hook up ad save the day if we have problem.

This may require more ice cream. Pass the syrup, please.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

There are many merits to BluDot. The presentation that I used to give at the HDT Rally is HERE. It is also probably on the Rally website.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

So, after nearly a week at Retama, we're planning to pull out in the morning and head for Big Bend, where there won't be as many friendly folks, but the roads have some curves, and the landscape has some texture.

Our stay here has been great. There's been no shortage of tour guides, help on projects, and just good company. We look forward to coming here again. A special thanks goes to Phil D. and Kathy for providing us a place to park, and Bill B. and Cecil for helping with projects and running our behinds all over for parts. We've also had the pleasure of meeting the Bruss's of Resource Guide fame. It so nice to put faces to the names.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Sorry we are going to miss you, Rick. We get there Monday.

If you want to rent for a season I have sites.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Kathy and I were pleased and happy to have been able to host you folks during your all too brief stay. It's always great to be able to greet good friends, especially ones that we've not yet met, as was the case this time.

Safe and happy travels to you and Susan on the rest of your "Practicing for Retirement Tour", and may the remaining segments be far less eventful than was the first one.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

ET Air Hitch

Thanks for the kind words.

We pulled into Big Bend Resort yesterday, and in a nutshell, it's culture shock. Sorta rough around the edges, and down the middle too. But, there are friendly folk, so it's not all bad.

For anyone heading this way, ignore your gps and don't come through the park. Seventy miles of 45mph is a bit much.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rocky,

I was watching for you, hoping to meet yet another friendly face from this crowd.

We're still in Big Bend. Weather and scenery are great. Biggest breakdown in the past week has been a drippy shower valve.

There's another hdt here from Arkansas. An older IH pulling a Teton, pulling a flat trailer. Gold Wing trio on the truck, a Jeep and quad on the flat trailer. He's 90' long. Said he usually winters in Q.

The folks here in Study Butte/ Terlingua are a bunch of fruit cakes. We fit right in.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...

We continue to meander the south-west, and we've arrived at Carlsbad KOA for a few days. It's too warm here for me, but it's better than shoveling snow.

We spent the past few days exploring the area around Alpine and Ft. Davis, TX. The McDonald Observatory is great, and the roads are motorcycle heaven.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived