Modular Smart Car Beds

bmzero

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corona is about 45 minutes from me. I would like to take a look.

That would be great, Jim. As I nail down the specifics, next week, I'll let you know. I hope to be in Corona on Thursday evening.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Looks real good.

Any wheel chocks,stops or cradles in the future or are you just going to go for the thrill ride?

I have bought some parts to build my wheel chocks with, but they won't be necessary to safely secure the car/RZR. I'm more interested in the front chocks being there so I'll know where to stop the vehicle so it will be aligned correctly.

Great design!! lots of fun watching it come together. If I hadn't already started our bed, we would have been your first customer. I am finding out how much work it is to build your own bed!!

1. Have you thought about powder coating then LineX?

2. What is the Length of the RZR?

I attached a picture of our Ramp storage compartment using UHMW angle hanging off bed. It is light, strong and easy to hang using tabs off the Bed frame.

Good luck

Bob

post-51394-0-26101200-1445868559_thumb.jpg

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Great design!! lots of fun watching it come together. If I hadn't already started our bed, we would have been your first customer. I am finding out how much work it is to build your own bed!!

1. Have you thought about powder coating then LineX?

2. What is the Length of the RZR?

I attached a picture of our Ramp storage compartment using UHMW angle hanging off bed. It is light, strong and easy to hang using tabs off the Bed frame.

Good luck

Bob

attachicon.giframps.jpg

Thanks, Rob. Yes, it's definitely a lot of work, especially when trying to design as a product and not a one off.

I like your UHMW idea. We use that stuff quite a bit in the off road racing world. It works great for skid plates. As I finalize my ramp design, I may look into that some more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Once the component designs are finalized, powdercoating may be an optional coating for someone ordering a bed. At this point, I used paint in case I needed to change something. I'll leave the coating decisions up to the buyer.

The RZR S 1000 overall length is 106", but don't tell anyone.

LOL!! That is impacting my UTV shopping. Honda has one that is 102.5, but only a 475cc engine. RZRs are twice that.

Looks like you would get a ticket either way, and if that's the case, I would rather get a ticket for a 1000cc RZR.

How is your schedule doing. Are you still planning on being in Corona?

We had a ton of trouble along the way and lost a day and a half. We had to go straight to Glamis. We're headed to Vegas tomorrow. Are you anywhere close? I would love to show you the bed.

Bmzero, are you camping in the trailer in Vegas and putting the truck in the SEMA show!

My son will be out there this week, I didn't have any more vacation time to be able to go.

Are you going for work and will be in the Comp booth in case he stops by to say hi?

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Bmzero, are you camping in the trailer in Vegas and putting the truck in the SEMA show!

My son will be out there this week, I didn't have any more vacation time to be able to go.

Are you going for work and will be in the Comp booth in case he stops by to say hi?

We will be camping in it at the KOA at Sam's Town.

I won't be in a booth. I'll be walking around in amazement and connecting with our web design clients.

Just a reminder that commercial advertising is not permitted here. We have a number of HDT members that sell HDT related products and they do not advertise in the forums. ET Hitches and Gregg's trucks come to mind immediately.

Look at the rules for advertising, please.

I realize this is of general interest to the population, including me. But to be fair to everyone direct sales should be avoided. But please keep posting on the bed progress.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Just a reminder that commercial advertising is not permitted here. We have a number of HDT members that sell HDT related products and they do not advertise in the forums. ET Hitches and Gregg's trucks come to mind immediately.

Look at the rules for advertising, please.

I realize this is of general interest to the population, including me. But to be fair to everyone direct sales should be avoided. But please keep posting on the bed progress.

I had no idea. I definitely don't want to violate any rules. Consider it handled, and thanks for the heads up.

I had no idea. I definitely don't want violate any rules. Consider it handled, and thanks for the heads up.

No problem at all, and as I said, keep up the informative posts on the bed build..... we are all interested. I just did not want you to get "warned" about it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I thoroughly tested the wheel baskets and the VersaTie track from Mac's over the West Coast trip. All of the components from Mac's are very high quality. For me, the build up of this vehicle is more of a quest than a project. I'm not interested in how many revisions of each component it takes to get to the final, best, solution. Parts evolve as the needs are realized. However, one thing is for sure, I am completely satisfied with the way the mounting system has turned out. I really like how the tracks are below the bed surface and I really like how versatile the track system is. This is the level of quality and fit I am striving for, on the truck as a whole. It may take me years, but I'll get it there.

I took an extra inverter generator to run while we were out on the rides. Having the ability to mount it anywhere on the bed was very handy.

22917329901_ae2482be9a_b.jpg

I ended up bringing along a couple of extra spares (it's a good thing, too). Having the ability to adapt the mounting points to fit the situation was priceless.

22917356991_b105253f31_b.jpg

Once we got to Las Vegas, we needed to transport the engine stand and crate engine to the convention center (I left the trailer connected at KOA). Again, the flexibility of this system made it possible.

22880276196_625ba85325_b.jpg

I should have my ramp design finalized this evening. Then, it's off to laser, hopefully to be in my hands by the weekend.

bmzero do you have a link to the wheel baskets and tie down rails. This is the way I need to tie down my RZR.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

bmzero do you have a link to the wheel baskets and tie down rails. This is the way I need to tie down my RZR.

Here's the track - http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/versatie-aluminum-track-series2-96/VersaTie

It's custom cut and drilled per your specs, so grab some good measurements first.

The tire baskets are also designed per your tire size and strapping needs. Here is the standard UTV kit - http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/utv-wheel-net-pack/WheelNets

Call and ask for Lizard. I have been working with him on this and he has been great to deal with.

Hi bmzero - saw your spares and had a "squirrel!" moment - when we brought our new to us toyhauler home I had to repair both wheel wells where blow outs had bashed up the sheet metal wheel well liner. Our Carriage trailer is not built with saving every nickel in mind - the sheet metal liner is reasonably heavy guage and was not destroyed but it got bent up and partly pulled out of the frame mounts. While fixing I dreamed that maybe a guy could design a blow out guard cage something or other made out of heat treated steel that has high tensile strength that would withstand the slappage of a tire coming apart and protect the body work and systems? Back to regular thread programming...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Hi bmzero - saw your spares and had a "squirrel!" moment - when we brought our new to us toyhauler home I had to repair both wheel wells where blow outs had bashed up the sheet metal wheel well liner. Our Carriage trailer is not built with saving every nickel in mind - the sheet metal liner is reasonably heavy guage and was not destroyed but it got bent up and partly pulled out of the frame mounts. While fixing I dreamed that maybe a guy could design a blow out guard cage something or other made out of heat treated steel that has high tensile strength that would withstand the slappage of a tire coming apart and protect the body work and systems? Back to regular thread programming...

That same thought has crossed my mind, quite a bit on this last trip. I had big problems with tires, mostly due to the tires on the trailer when I bought it being subpar.

22718248960_2356e73cd3_b.jpg

I am on the hunt for a better tire setup now. I haven't decided on going to 17" wheels, but that is also an option.

BMzero sez: I am on the hunt for a better tire setup now. I haven't decided on going to 17" wheels, but that is also an option.

Ahhh, the tire issue......again.

Two weeks ago we traded our trailer with the upgraded 17.5 tire/wheel combo and new axles, for a Newmar with three axles, and 16" load range E tires, and a date code of (xx08). Due to stud sizing, I couldn't do a tire swap, so now I need to get 6 new tires. Seriously considering just upgrading to load range G and keeping the 16"ers.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

BMzero sez: I am on the hunt for a better tire setup now. I haven't decided on going to 17" wheels, but that is also an option.

Ahhh, the tire issue......again.

Two weeks ago we traded our trailer with the upgraded 17.5 tire/wheel combo and new axles, for a Newmar with three axles, and 16" load range E tires, and a date code of (xx08). Due to stud sizing, I couldn't do a tire swap, so now I need to get 6 new tires. Seriously considering just upgrading to load range G and keeping the 16"ers.

A client of mine who owns a tire store and a trailer business (www.lbtrailers.com) is suggesting I stay with the 16's and just go with a higher ply rating.

We run Bridgestone Duravis steel casing R250 and stayed with 16in. The loaded axle weight of our trailer is 14,400lbs leaving around 4000lbs of tire capacity to spare. They are tall so you would need to measure the axle spacing and diameter carefully.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived