Directv - Message - must use component cables - DHCP fail

About two months ago I received a message on my TV 'must use component cables'. I have Directv with a Winegard satellite dish on the roof. We take our DVR from the house attach the coax cable from the box above the Winegard and attach an HDMI cable to the DVR and we have all our programing from home. But on the trip I took about two months ago I received this message (Friday and Saturday it worked fine, Sunday morning is when the message appeared).

I have called Directv (twice), on the call I was told my TV was failing the DHCP test and that component cables will fix the problem. I told them I have no way of connecting component cables I only have HDMI. They basically said sorry you will not be able to watch HD programing.

I have called Winegard, they say it's not their system, it is the 'switch' box which is not part of their system.

I bought an HDMI to component cable on Amazon, it does not work.

Has anyone had this issue?

RV is a 2014 Newmar, I emailed support but have not received a response.

Very frustrated,

Wahelee

It sounds like your TV is not capable of supporting the copy protection DirecTV uses.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/04/copy-protection-means-some-directv-subs-will-need-new-gear-to-watch-hbo/

How old is the TV?

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Usually the HDMI Copy Protection issue is with just a few channels, HBO being one of them.

Since this is a 2014 Newmar, I am assuming a 2014 TV.

Have you replaced the HDMI cable? The ends are on the fragile side, especially were RV manufacturers tend to put sharp strains behind the TV.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Connecting from the DVR directly to the TV using a good HDMI cable would be my first suggestion. Many HDMI switch boxes and splitters have issues with the HDMI - HDCP and won't pass the picture through.

If that works then the TV and DVR are compatible and you can go looking for a replacement for whatever box you are connecting through. I recommend www.monoprice.com for both cables and HDMI boxes as their quality is excellent, prices fair and warranty process a pleasure to work through. I have a lot of their cables and use their stuff when asked to help friends set up their new toys, same for their splitters we have 2x and 4x units that work flawlessly.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Usually the HDMI Copy Protection issue is with just a few channels, HBO being one of them.

Since this is a 2014 Newmar, I am assuming a 2014 TV.

Have you replaced the HDMI cable? The ends are on the fragile side, especially were RV manufacturers tend to put sharp strains behind the TV.

Yes the TV is new mostly a 2014 Sony Bravia. I have not tried a different cable. It is strange that it worked on one day, then the very next day I received the message. As for channels, it has effected all the HD channels (ESPN, Cartoon Network, etc; I do not have HBO or any other movie channels)

Connecting from the DVR directly to the TV using a good HDMI cable would be my first suggestion. Many HDMI switch boxes and splitters have issues with the HDMI - HDCP and won't pass the picture through.

If that works then the TV and DVR are compatible and you can go looking for a replacement for whatever box you are connecting through. I recommend www.monoprice.com for both cables and HDMI boxes as their quality is excellent, prices fair and warranty process a pleasure to work through. I have a lot of their cables and use their stuff when asked to help friends set up their new toys, same for their splitters we have 2x and 4x units that work flawlessly.

Thanks. Since the TV is built-in, I'm not sure if I can easily access where the HDMI cable connects but I will check and see.

I will also check out the web link you provided.

Have you tried connecting the cable to another port on the tv? If the problem is with the tv then I would think it is still under warranty since it's a 2014 model.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

Have you tried connecting the cable to another port on the tv? If the problem is with the tv then I would think it is still under warranty since it's a 2014 model.

I have not, the TV is mounted directly to the wall of the RV (above the windshield) and there are no exposed connections.

More than you ever wanted to know about HDCP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection (added bolding and cleaned up formatting, see link for original version of this snip

HDCP can cause problems for users who want to connect multiple screens to a device; for example, a bar with several televisions connected to one satellite receiver or when a user has a closed laptop and uses an external display as the only monitor. HDCP devices can create multiple keys, allowing each screen to operate, but the number varies from device to device; e.g., a Dish or Sky satellite receiver can generate 16 keys. The technology sometimes causes handshaking problems where devices cannot establish a connection, especially with older high-definition displays.

Edward Felten wrote "the main practical effect of HDCP has been to create one more way in which your electronics could fail to work properly with your TV," and concluded in the aftermath of the master key fiasco that HDCP has been "less a security system than a tool for shaping the consumer electronics market."
Additional issues arise when interactive media (i.e. video games) suffer from control latency due to the additional processing (encoding/decoding) required. Various everyday usage situation, such as live streaming or capture of game play, are also adversely affected.
There is also the problem that all Apple laptop products, presumably in order to reduce switching time, when confronted with an HDCP compliant device, automatically switch all output from the DVI / Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt connector port to HDCP compliant. This is a problem if the user wishes to record or use videoconferencing facilities further down the chain, because these are inherently forbidden by HDCP. This applies even if the output is not HDCP material, like a PowerPoint presentation.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived