How to get Dish Hopper when fulltiming

we've been told we can not get a Hopper because Dish will not install them in an RV. I know some full timers do have the Hopper but I can't seem to find how this happened by searching the archives.

1) please let us know how you were able to get the Hopper installed without having a stick and brick residence.

2) I have had some issues when I switch locals with my VIP722 DVR. Most of the time my scheduled recordings for locals in Dish pass do not work until the day after I have switched locals. It's as though the unit has to reset overnight. I think it may just be an problem with my box but I was wondering if this works smoothly with the Hopper.

3) are you happy with the Hopper and Joey?

We are not high tech people so can not just purchase a Hopper and install it ourselves so any suggestions would be appreciated.

1)

When I got my Hopper, Dish told me to contact a local Dish Retailer. I did and the installer was happy as I was the first Hopper install for him in the Valley. He had the equipment shipped to his facility and he hot-staged it.

The biggest thing is to have the cabling in place. Wiring RVs is not Dish Installers strong point.

The cabling has been discussed here in the Forum. I use switches for moving the Solo (a signal mux) between the Winegard Trav'ler roof dish and the ground tripod I use from time to time. I temporarily removed the switches and the installer worked just with the roof dish.

2)

Life get really good with the PTAT feature of the Hopper when it comes to recording. The channel numbers that change are the broadcast channels and with the Hopper, it records the evening broadcast channels regardless of the channel numbers and it records all four channels at once on just one tuner.

Last year we changed locations a lot. We used Dish Chat to process the moves and we would have the new Locals in just a few minutes. The guide update to the new channel number might be overnight but PTAT is recording without the need of the guide.

3) Very happy.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

x2 for Mark's comments -- my experience is similar to his.

I started with a Hopper and two Joeys, but replaced one of my Joeys with another Hopper because those extra 3 tuners come in handy.

If you don't want to wire your RV for a Hopper, see if a local sat dealer will do it.

For DISH RV wiring, check the link in my signature below.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We bought our Hopper and Joey since we did not want to be tied to a contract at the time. I have a Solo node attached to the portable tripod we use with our 1000.4 dish, so I only need to run a single RG6 cable to the coach when setting up. I can also feed our VIP211k receiver from the same dish using the third port on the LNB. If we had a Trav'ler on the roof, I would install another Solo for it, so I'd only need to switch one cable to go from roof to portable and back as needed. As it is, we only use the single LNB manual crank up we have on the roof occasionally for overnight stops instead of setting up the portable dish. I haven't tried using the single LNB dish with the Hopper though, just the VIP211k.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Wireless Joey solves the wiring problem.

Wiring the Joey is easy. Most RVs are wired with a cable that goes from the antenna in the living room to the bedroom TV. You use that cable.

Most roof dishes don't run the coax cables from the roof to one place for a Solo.

A Solo can be on the roof with the dish, but we also use a ground tripod for times when the trees are in the way. Getting the bedroom coax cable from the roof dish to the living room took some effort.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

We were going to have to switch from Dish {19 year customers} to direct because of losing our east & west coast feeds. They were the ones who told me I could use the Hopper and Joey. They had an installer come out and hook it up. Dutch installed the extra coax cable himself as we already had a hole on the roof and could snake it down into the cabinet and into our Hopper.

We stayed with the wired Joey so we would have 5 available tuners. If we went to the wireless Joey, we would only pick up 3 additional tuners. We record just about everything so having as many tuners as possible works better for us.

Once in awhile when changing my "service" address for locals, a rep will tell me I cannot have a Hopper, I just hang up and call back.

Try getting a supervisor or tier 2 level tech and you might get what you want. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Di, we have a Hopper, Joey, and 211k on our Dish account. Using the online customer service chat system, I've never had an issue changing the locals related to the Hopper.

Dutch

You need to be careful what type of satellite receiver you have. For example, we were told the only Winegard sat. that will work with the Hopper system is the Traveller. Dome types won't work.

Open-faced dishes (1000.2, 1000.4, Dish Pro 500) work as well.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

One thing I really missed during our 3-week shakedown was our hopper back at the SnB. We had the Tailgater but it turns out that a lot of what we like to watch is... um... rare and trying to find them amongst the Louisiana alligator people and the swamp folks and the amazing assortment of murderers and rapists was tedious, to say the least. We arrived back home and there were a "Vera", a new "Big Bang Theory" and the rest all waiting for us.

I don't think that the addition of a USB hard drive will solve that issue with the Tailgater and the 211 receiver. I don't think a Tivo will do it either. Maybe the only solution - other than to pony up the bucks for another Hopper - is to find a good WiFi connection and use Dish Anywhere now and then.

Has anyone any good ideas?

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

If you have the cabling in place, moving a Hopper from the SnB house to the RV isn't bad.

Once you have a Hopper and PTAT, a regular DVR (VIP211 & hard disk) pales in comparison.

A Hopper with a Sling adapter or a Hopper with Sling can record all your shows and forward them by the Internet but you have to be conscious of the bandwidth usage most mobile Internet connections have.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

• 8 months later...

What dish antenna are you folks using to use your Hopper. I spoke with Dish Network and they tell me that the Hopper isn't compatible with any of the automatic portables and will only work with the roof mount, 3 LNB model that retails for just over the moon . . .

If you use a manual dish, do you find setup particularly tedious?

Thanx,

Jim

We use a tripod mounted Dish 1000.4 triple LNB dish for both our Hopper and VIP211k. I modified the tripod and dish for a no tools needed setup and aiming, and my typical setup time is about 15 minutes, including leveling and anchoring the tripod. I use a smartphone app to make sure I have a clear view of the satellites, and a digital signal meter to dial in the optimum settings. Depending on the location and terrain, I can easily switch the LNB set for either arc as needed for the best view.

Dutch

The biggest thing is to have the cabling in place. Wiring RVs is not Dish Installers strong point.

Is the cabling anything special? By that I mean, would we need any cabling other than what we now have from the Trav'ler to our Dish 211k receiver?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I

What app do you use? I think I'm going with much the same setup you describe.

After trying several of the free sat finder apps, I found the paid "DishPointerPro" to be the most reliable on my Android phone. There's an iPhone version as well.

Dutch

Is the cabling anything special? By that I mean, would we need any cabling other than what we now have from the Trav'ler to our Dish 211k receiver?

The simplest wiring mod would be to add short jumpers from ports 1 & 2 on the Trav'ler LNB connected to a Dish "Solo Node" attached to the mount, with the existing single cable connected to the node output. No additional wiring to the inside would be needed in that case. If your Trav'ler was installed with two coax runs to the inside, you could install the Solo Node inside, or still install it outside, using the second wire to feed your VIP211 if you wanted to keep it in service for a bedroom or outside TV.

Dutch

• 3 weeks later...

What dish antenna are you folks using to use your Hopper. I spoke with Dish Network and they tell me that the Hopper isn't compatible with any of the automatic portables and will only work with the roof mount, 3 LNB model that retails for just over the moon . . .

If you use a manual dish, do you find setup particularly tedious?

Thanx,

Jim

i'm using the winegaurd travlr. the only one that the hopper will work with. unless you want to go out and buy a traditional dish and cabling and try to point it yourself :wacko::blink: . I prefer the travlr pus a button and it does all of the work for me :) . and it's just like watching tv at home. dish told me that I could buy a hopper at full retail from one of there dealers. or you might want to try e-bay as others have said there cheaper on there also. but be sure to ask for the units serial numbers and access card numbers you don't want anything that's been stolen or has money owed on it!! dish will NOT activate a receiver that's leased stolen or that has money owed on it. they will activate one that has money owed on it but only if you pay off the balance!! as well as you want to make sure that you have the most current version of the hopper also and not one that's outdated as dish pointed that out to me also. I found it entertaining when the sales rep didn't know what in the heck the travlr was :D

You have to come to grips that Dish CSRs are not trained on RV setups and their script says that a roof dish won't work. If you want to be an RVer, a certain amount of independence is necessary.

I would not buy a Hopper when Dish will give one to use free. I have no problem with a contract. The investment in an automatic roof dish and a good ground tripod setup is more than what the commitment of a contract entails.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

You seem to get different answers every time you call but it's pretty much like that at all CS desks anymore. That's wjy forums like this one are so helpful. We've bought a portable dish to use with the Hopper we use at home. It took about 20 minutes to set up the first time but some mods I'm making on the stand will cut that in half. The rooftop antennas are non starters for us since we spend most of our time in the forested eastern half of the US. None of the portable, self aligning dishes are currently compatible with the Hopper due to software differences but I expect a year or two should see that resolved.

In any case, thanks for the help. We enjoyed a full weekend of football in an area that got very poor OTA reception of the networks.

Thanx,

Jim

You seem to get different answers every time you call but it's pretty much like that at all CS desks anymore.

That's why I suggest folks contact a local sat installer instead of calling DISH, or DirecTV, directly.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived