Magnum networking problem any idea

Hi all.

I have an all Magnum solar setup as it was my first bout with rv anything.

I have 8x100 watts of renogy panels 12v run 2 strings 48v x 400w, a magnum msh3012m hybrid inverter, pt-100 charge controller, magnum bmk, (8)6v battery bank series parallel for 1320AH, me-arc 50 remote.

My problem is: I error out when connecting both the bmk and charge controller with any phone splitter plugging into the network port. I can have the bmk running to the inverter and work just fine or I can have the pt-100 connected to the inverter and run just fine with all controls through the me-arc50 but conneting the bmk and the pt-100 with a recommended splitter and plugged into the inverter, I error out.

Thanks for any answer in advance.

I'm not sure why you are getting an error. I will be installing a very similar set up in a couple of weeks. From everything I have read and from my experience with previous Magnum installations, what you describe should work. The inverter green network port should have a phone splitter plugged into the port. Then plug the ME-BMK and the PT-100 network cables into the two ports on the splitter. This is the proper procedure. The only thing I can think of is the splitter you are using is inoperative or is the wrong type of splitter. I would try a different splitter and see if you get the same results.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Here is an example from the manual of two different ways to connect multiple networked components to the inverter. These examples are showing a BMK and an AGS-N, but the principal should be the same for a BMK and a PT-100.

And here is a photo of my current trailer with an AGS-N and BMK to which I will be adding a PT-100. You can see the splitter plugged into the 3012 Hybrid inverter in the photo and the cables going to the AGS-N and BMK.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

Sounds like you have a bent pin or connector pad in your splitter. Visually inspect the "in" ports to ensure all pins are aligned properly and the male connector to ensure the contact pads are in place. You shouldn't be having any issue at all with that setup.

For the "in" ports, if anything is out of alignment, just use a small screwdriver, pencil, or such to realign the pins.

If all pins and contact pads appear to be in place then it's possible it could be an internal issue. Simply swap out your splitter.

Sounds like you have a bent pin or connector pad in your splitter. Visually inspect the "in" ports to ensure all pins are aligned properly and the male connector to ensure the contact pads are in place. You shouldn't be having any issue at all with that setup.

For the "in" ports, if anything is out of alignment, just use a small screwdriver, pencil, or such to realign the pins.

If all pins and contact pads appear to be in place then it's possible it could be an internal issue. Simply swap out your splitter.

Thank you for the ideas. I have tried 3 splitters. They all do the same thing and each component will work by themselves when plugged into the inverter alone.

I don't see how it would be pins if each component will work in any singular combination.

I'm going to try a couple of real short phone cables next for each component

My ARC-50 had an issue with the cable provided. I shortened the run as much as I possible could and was able to power the remote. My rig is only 26' total.

Good luck with yours.

Post more pictures I'll check back.

I don't see how it would be pins if each component will work in any singular combination.

My ARC-50 had an issue with the cable provided. I shortened the run as much as I possible could

If the pins in the splitter are not making a proper connection then it could disrupt the signal even though the component plug connects properly when connected directly.

That being said... seeing that you've tried 3 splitters...what might be a possibility is that when you shortened the run on your remote.. you might have miswired. It's a "passive" device so it may work when connected directly (even if you flipped the polarity), but is creating a conflict with your controllers control panel. Refer to your controller's and remotes owners manual to ensure wiring outputs are properly matched.

Your Maggie doesn't differentiate between multiple devices. It "reads" only a single device input/output regardless of the source device.

The only other possibility is a faulty AR-50, but if it operates normally when connected directly, and it doesn't appear to be a physical issue with the splitter.. my money would be on a miswire. That doesn't count out a faulty remote, however.

I'm not sure what issue you had with your remote before that it required shortening the run.. that's a new one for me. RF signal interference?

Chad that is a beautiful looking install

That bay area looks to be much like my next rig.

I'm looking at a 2013-14 coachmen Freelander.

I'm just trying to work out all the kinks on my current rig to ebay it.

Thanks. The trailer is a DRV 40KSSB4. It is sitting at Rolling Retreats waiting for me to pick it up. When I do, I will be adding 4 Fullriver DC260 batteries. Two will sit side by side in the little alcove below the inverter and the other two will sit lengthwise along the back side of the generator box. I will build a shelf/box and cover it in the same material as the other boxes already in the compartment to cover the batteries. When I get it home i will add the PT-100 and solar panels and a few other parts to connect everything up properly.

Good luck figuring out what your issue is.

event.png    

That being said... seeing that you've tried 3 splitters...what might be a possibility is that when you shortened the run on your remote.. you might have miswired. It's a "passive" device so it may work when connected directly (even if you flipped the polarity), but is creating a conflict with your controllers control panel. Refer to your controller's and remotes owners manual to ensure wiring outputs are properly matched.

My ARC-50 had an issue with the cable provided. I shortened the run as much as I possible could and was able to power the remote. My rig is only 26' total.

When you shortened the wire to your ME-ARC 50 did you use a crossover cable or a standard telephone cable. The remote requires a twisted pair cable. Here is a link to what I mean from the ME-ARC manual. If you didn't use a twisted pair cable, this could be your issue.

event.png    

I did use just a standard phone cord from Home Depot.

That does appear to be the most logical sounding solution. I will try to purchase a twisted pair cable to connect my inverter to the remote in the proper length and ensure the others are twisted pair as well.

I will update soon. I dropped my rig off for some maintenance yesterday. I did about 6700 miles MA to IL all of RTE 66 to Santa Monica, CA and back to MA.

Never had to plug in for 2 weeks

When you shortened the wire to your ME-ARC 50 did you use a twisted pair cable or a standard telephone cable. The remote requires a twisted pair cable. Here is a link to what I mean from the ME-ARC manual. If you didn't use a twisted pair cable, this could be your issue.

I used the wrong term here. (I fixed it in the original post above.) It is a Crossover Cable where the pins are wired in the opposite order between the two plugs. Twisted pair cabling is a type of wiring in which two conductors of a single circuit are twisted together for the purposes of canceling out electromagnetic interference (EMI) from external sources. All the cables are twisted pair and some of them are Cross Over cables.

I did use just a standard phone cord from Home Depot.

That does appear to be the most logical sounding solution. I will try to purchase a twisted pair cable to connect my inverter to the remote in the proper length and ensure the others are twisted pair as well.

I will update soon. I dropped my rig off for some maintenance yesterday. I did about 6700 miles MA to IL all of RTE 66 to Santa Monica, CA and back to MA.

Never had to plug in for 2 weeks

The "never had to plug in" is what I am going for as well (other than to run the air conditioners). I'm going to have 6 235 watt Canadian Solar panels (for 1410 watts total) in three parallel strings of two series panels and they will be feeding my 4 DC-260 batteries (with a total capacity of 1040 amp hours) through the PT-100.

event.png    

Sounds awesome

I just ordered some phone cords 6p4c reverse wired

They'll arrive tuesday night so I'll post next week if that was the issue.

Double check the various manuals for your components to see which ones use which cables. From my quick glances at the various manuals I think only the remote uses a cross over cable.

event.png    

• 3 weeks later...

you can make your own 4 wire data/phone cable. Difference is the cable is flipped. holding the 2, connectors up. Notice the wire color left to right. On phone, wire color is flipped, data they are the same.

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 8:32 AM, Chad Heiser said:

Update!!!! 

You guys were correct it was the wire 

so the amazon wires 6p4c reverse wires worked. 

Thanks so much. !!!!

On 2/5/2017 at 8:32 AM, Chad Heiser said:

When you shortened the wire to your ME-ARC 50 did you use a crossover cable or a standard telephone cable. The remote requires a twisted pair cable. Here is a link to what I mean from the ME-ARC manual. If you didn't use a twisted pair cable, this could be your issue.

Glad you got it working.

event.png    

Archived