Propane tank initial recertification now 10 years

Kyle

The DOT has changed the age limit for initial recertification of propane tanks to 10 years instead of 12. This went into effect on Jan 23rd, 2017. The changes were part of a Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) rulemaking titled HM-233F, which was published as a final rule on Jan. 21, 2016.

2007 Airstream Classic 34

2006 Dodge Ram 2500

I found out about this today when I went to have my 10 year and 2 month old tanks refilled. And no, no propane for me.

So I came home and looked up the new ruling.

2007 Airstream Classic 34

2006 Dodge Ram 2500

Here's a link to Greg Gerber's RV Daily Report with info on the recertification info:

http://rvdailyreport.com/industry/rules-change-for-lp-tank-recertification/

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Fairly new to RV life. What is involved in recertification of a motorhome's propane tank?

Motorized vehicles all use ASME tanks that have a different design standard and do not require recertification.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If your tank is bolted to the frame, this news doesn't have any effect on you, regardless of motorized or not. This is only to do with portable bottles.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Kirk, so if i got this correct. My 2000 RV DP. don't need to do anything Correct?.

That is correct. While the way the tank is mounted has little to do with the issue, permanently mounted tanks in motorized vehicles have been required to be ASME for many years. I'm not sure when that was made a part of the law but I do know that it was that way prior to the 70's when I had a vehicle converted to burn propane. Federal highway codes state that all permanently mounted propane tanks in motorized vehicles must be ASME. I don't know for sure about towable RVs but suspect that would be true if they are permanently mounted but have never seen one that way to check.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

http://www.propanetankstore.com/dot-asme-tank-differences/ should be helpful on the topic of LP cylinders and ASME tanks.

LP tanks for vehicles are not specified, but the same inspection info applies to all ASME tanks.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Having worked in propane for a big chunk of my life, the recertification dates and stamps are a joke.  All that is required is a leak check of the valve (with soap) and a visual inspection of the tank itself for any corrosion, dents, gouges etc.  You know, common sense.  All the exact same things that are supposed to be checked each and every time the tank is filled anyway.  Unlike a welding cylinder that is hydrostatically tested.  The date just gave us an excuse to not fill the beat up rusty unsafe old tank that the customer with no common sense expected us to fill for him.  You could stamp a date on it yourself and nobody would ever call you on it, they would still continue to fill or not fill the tank based on it's condition when you bring it in like always.

Archived