Texas Registration and Vehicle Inspection on one Sticker

HAWGJO

I registered the Toad a few months ago with a handwritten (Not notorized or anything) statement to Polk County (Where SKPs and our licenses are) without any problems. License sticker received in the mail.

Just sent it off for the coach and expect our annual registration in our next mail drop.

BTW with a check enclosed in each case for the exact amount Polk County folks told me was needed.

Dave O

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If greater than 26,000#, you need a Class B or Class A license, and with them you can do a mail renewal for your dl at 6 years and then the in-person renewal at twelve years. Difference is you have to have a notarized exemption form with the renewal for the Class A & B licenses.

Otherwise, you need not go back. Where did you get the idea that you never had to go there? All states require your presence to get your initial DL?

Barb

Hi Barb

I am curious about the "Exemption Form". More details please. Where do I get it, Website or Polk County or?

I really do not want to have to "go back".

On Edit--I guess I missed this before-I just noticed the date of your post.

Thanks

Dave O

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can register and license a new vehicle without coming to TX? I'm a TX resident and had to buy a new truck out of state and I now want to register it. If not and I have to come to TX do you know if it can be done anywhere in TX or do I need to come to Polk County?

If you do the renewal online it is embedded into the process.....that is by far the easiest way to do it. I've done it that way three times, now.

I did my renewal online yesterday and there was no mention of inspections at all. It went through just as it used to. I hope I won't have a problem.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

I did my renewal online yesterday and there was no mention of inspections at all. It went through just as it used to. I hope I won't have a problem.

If they have your inspection in their database then you do not need to fill in the waiver, and it may not be offered to you. IF you have not had the inspection the waiver should have been offered in their system.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Does anyone know if you can register and license a new vehicle without coming to TX? I'm a TX resident and had to buy a new truck out of state and I now want to register it. If not and I have to come to TX do you know if it can be done anywhere in TX or do I need to come to Polk County?

Contact Polk County Assessor's Office, always the best source of info, at:

416 N. Washington

Livingston, TX 77351

Phone: 936-327-6801

Fax: 936-327-6885

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

If they have your inspection in their database then you do not need to fill in the waiver, and it may not be offered to you. IF you have not had the inspection the waiver should have been offered in their system.....

Our last inspection was January 2015.

2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Our last inspection was January 2015.

This first year is a grace period if you have a current inspection. In the future, you will have to have had an inspection within the past 90 days when you renew your registration. So, you don't need to get an inspection until this time next year.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

This first year is a grace period if you have a current inspection. In the future, you will have to have had an inspection within the past 90 days when you renew your registration. So, you don't need to get an inspection until this time next year.

I guess that explains it. Thanks.

2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

I got ask to certify we were out-of-state a couple of weeks ago. It has been about. 4 years since the coach was inspected, so we wouldn't be in last year's database. Not a problem to do it. And Escapees now sends you an email to let you know the sticker has come in.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

dougwa, I have done that many times by contacting the folks barbarouk suggested. One bit of advice. If you are trying to expedite the plates and paper work I would use the US pOST OFFICE for the return to you portion. I had an issue once that was a real pain when using FEDEX. The tax office recieved everything quickly and processed it quickly but there can be an issue with gettin it picked up at the tax office. I was under a time constraint and had about begged and sweet talked an employee of the tax office to take it and deposit it in a FEDEx Kiosk for pick up but at the last minute the folks I was dealing with on my end came up with a solution that involved faxing a new label to the tax office which then jumped on it and got it out for me. So far in my dealing with that office has always been fantastic. The fedex deal had something to do with FEDEX ground being by contract. I still don't get it but it make me leary of them in this type of situation.

If you are using Escapees, you have and address, Just have it go to your rainbow Drive address, the mail office will send you an email that it is in, then have it sent Priority to you.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

If you are using Escapees, you have and address, Just have it go to your rainbow Drive address, the mail office will send you an email that it is in, then have it sent Priority to you.

Barb

Do you have to advise mail service to do this or will they email you as a matter of course?

2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

Well I didn't tell them about our renewal - they just sent a notice this fall. I believe this is a new service they have added for items they know that are important. A couple of years ago they added sending an email when a package arrived and they attach a notice about what kind of package it is. When our meds arrive, I get an email of the package arrival with a type noted as MEDS. They have been adding new little things like that to make your life easier as they find an efficient way to provide service to their customers.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Well I didn't tell them about our renewal - they just sent a notice this fall. I believe this is a new service they have added for items they know that are important. A couple of years ago they added sending an email when a package arrived and they attach a notice about what kind of package it is. When our meds arrive, I get an email of the package arrival with a type noted as MEDS. They have been adding new little things like that to make your life easier as they find an efficient way to provide service to their customers.

Barb

You are right........I got my email from them this morning. A pleasant surprise.

2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

I've never gotten an email. Is it something you have to sign up for? Or maybe it started after my renewals.....

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I've never gotten an email. Is it something you have to sign up for? Or maybe it started after my renewals.....

Jack,

I didn't sign up for anything, it just came. The email says it is an extended benefit of Escapees Mail Service. They just keep getting better and better. :-)

2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

I think they just started the service. We renewed last month and about a week later I got the email saying the envelope from Assesors office was in. Nice not to have to all & check. ?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I like it. I've always considered the Escapees mail service to be superior. Fifteen years with only ONE mistake. And this just makes it all better. Not sure why anyone would use another service.....

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 1 month later...

I'm rather new TX escapee and have this question on a vehicle trade out of state. I hope to complete the trade of my Fifth wheel for a new Fifth Wheel. Does the present License Plates transfer to the new RV or does Texas issue new plates thus difference numbers which complicates the tollway passes and such.

From registering my vehicles originally and reading the above I think that process is under control.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I talked to the TxTg tollway personnel this morning and got many questions answered.

First to the question above, the answer is a new licensed vehicle means a new license number. But since it is a non motorized vehicle it requires merely your vehicle information correct for the tollway.

The troubling part was reading their instructions. The instruction said I was required to have a commercial application if I had more than a 2 axle vehicle. A diagram showed a 3 axle vehicle as a 2 axle tow vehicle plus a 1 axle travel trailer. I would be 2+2 or 4 axles pulling the fifth wheel. Not True. I have only have Tag the Motorized vehicles and when I drive through a electronic check point, the axles are counted and truck billed accordingly. The fellow had a little problem from the conflict of Instruction and his understanding but he was able to say the individual/private use for a recreational vehicle was not commercial.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived