Microsoft Streets and Trips

rdickinson

This could be posted elsewhere but I know several use it.

The newest upgrade or update to a version 16, I believe is not compatible with the GPS receiver. The screen goes blue and locks up. This cost me a 24 hr delay while a fix was found.

So here is what I had to do.

• Get a second but older computer with Windows 7 or 8
  • Gut EVERYTHING out.
  • Make a copy complete with the key from my other laptop
  • Load it into the new old computer
  • Get the Toshiba roller trackball mouse and the remote speaker to work with new old computer
  • Get GPS receiver to work with new old computer.

If anyone is having this issue, this is the fix. MS&T will work on versions prior to the newest one. If the computer updates itself, this has already happened, if you update manually it will occur then.

If you still want to use MS&T but don't have the key, I have made a copy on a thumbdrive and can make a another and send to you or the contact info can be provided for the Computer firm in Seaside Oregon and he can put the full meal deal together for you and ship it anywhere you want. It cost me 150$, not bad. That includes the computer.

So this topic can stay here or the Modulators can shift it to a Tech topic elsewhere.

Anyway's, I'm up and running, with the laptop on the dreaded laptop stand that is going nowhere in the near future.

It is the Microsoft GPS puck that is causing the problem. As soon as you plug it in, POOF.

Let me know if you need the program, you can have it for nothing, just pay for the thumbdrive later..

Gotta go.

R

This is the last 2013 version downloaded and no they don't provide support. Info was on line or provided by others.

I can get someone the last 2013 version with the key if someone wants to use MS&T.

Answers were found on line by the computer guy in Seaside.

Microsoft updated Windows. The update was not compatible with the old GPS puck as and was collateral damage.

Have you tried a Windows 10 qualified GPS puck?

Streets & Trips was never tied to a specific GPS unit like street Atlas.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

When I changed my navigation computer to Windows 10 I did have to change the GPS puck, BU-353, would no longer work because of the driver. I replaced the GPS puck with a BU-353S4 which did have a Windows 10 compatible driver.

There was supposedly a way to trick the loading of a driver to support the BU-353. I don't like tricks so I got the new puck.

I run the BU-353S4 through Frampton GPSGate software which created multiple Com ports for software to use. I ran ALK CoPilot, Street & Trips 13, and Street Atlas USA at the same time.

No need to scrap the PC, just get a GPS puck that works.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Have you tried a Windows 10 qualified GPS puck?

Streets & Trips was never tied to a specific GPS unit like street Atlas.

It's the Microsoft puck that came with S&T.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

It's the Microsoft puck that came with S&T.

Newt

MY puck says Microsoft on it. But if someone else has one that works with the current version, great. But if the program chokes in the future, you know what to do....Like I said you can have the program for nothing.

At the time the other day, finding a puck was not possible in the area.

At least we know there are options. I doubt I'm the only one who had this problem,

It wasn't a brand new computer, it was one out of the laptop scrapheap.

Doesn't matter, he got me up and running.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark, where can one of these pucks be located please? I'd like to get one as a backup.

Thanks

Tonite, back my rig into Chads' yard and am sucking 50 amps.....I did have to buy pizza though.

The problem is with the latest UPDATE of Windows 10. Previous versions did work.

Tonite, back my rig into Chads' yard and am sucking 50 amps.....I did have to buy pizza though.

I am happy to help out Roger. I'm glad it worked out that you were able to stop along your way. Hopefully the rest of your trip is uneventful.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in this subject. I do not have the computer savvy that most people have. Let's put it this way. A computer can make for a good paper weight. The kind of help that I need is. Microsoft Streets & Trips with Windows 10 for Dummies. It looks like you need to have a BU-353S4 receiver/antenna. I also have Streets & Trips 2005. Is that the correct software ? Or do I need a newer version ? My computer does have Windows 10 on it. Is there anything that I am missing to make this work ?

Thank you for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in this subject. I do not have the computer savvy that most people have. Let's put it this way. A computer can make for a good paper weight. The kind of help that I need is. Microsoft Streets & Trips with Windows 10 for Dummies. It looks like you need to have a BU-353S4 receiver/antenna. I also have Streets & Trips 2005. Is that the correct software ? Or do I need a newer version ? My computer does have Windows 10 on it. Is there anything that I am missing to make this work ?

Thank you for any help,

Al

Al:

My computer has as SSD (solid state drive). The standard hard drive has a spinning disk and our HDT's can be "bumpy" at times. I did not know if the truck vibration would affect the spinning disk. Initially, my GPS computer was an old laptop and it did not like the vibration.

Also, my computer uses 12vdc for its power supply. I did this to avoid buying an inverter. If you go with an inverter, you may want buy a "pure sine wave" inverter. I am sure more folks will chime in on the inverter.

As it turned out, I ended up buying an inverter to power my external speakers. Due to my severe hearing impairment, I needed good quality amplified speakers.

My GPS computer was custom built by a computer "techie" that I use for all of my computer needs. My GPS system is "crazy overkill" with a 13" monitor that is mounted on a stand. The monitor, keyboard and mouse can be swung from the driver to the passenger. The stand is very robust and does not bounce around.

In the Volvo, We had over time 15',17" and finally a 10" monitor for the CoPilot and a 7" monitor for the driver. We used a MSW inverter for 11 years without a problem with the PCs, they all have power bricks that filter the MSW.

Never had a problem with rotating disks. The PCs in the truck used laptop type disks which are very resilient

Did use a 12 volt amplifier for speaker mounted overhead.

Use two different SFF PCs in the Volvo Navigation Computer

When we switched to the motorhome,we were using an old laptop. When the laptop video failed, we choose to switch to Android devices for ALK CoPilot as the PC version is going end-of-life. We are using two 10" Samsung tablets with Bluetooth speakers now.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Hi Everybody,

I did a little shopping on line and found prices for 2013 Microsoft Streets & Trips. I was in sticker shock at the prices that I saw. You could buy a new lap top computer for the cost of that new software. I knew software had a price tag to it but not $488 worth. I think I am going to give up on this idea. I could use the money some where else to finish up on the truck. If anyone else has done this for less money, it would be nice to hear how you did it.

Want to 'Thank' everyone for there input,

Al

PS; Roger, sorry about the hijack of your thread.

Al

Contact me, you can have it fornothing.

All you need is the thumb drive thing.when I get to Florida, I'll get Randy or some local 6 yr old to load it. It can be mailed to you.

400 odd bucks, forget it.

This Will cost less than 20 bucks.

What are you planning to load it on to?

Al

Contact me, you can have it fornothing.

All you need is the thumb drive thing.when I get to Florida, I'll get Randy or some local 6 yr old to load it. It can be mailed to you.

400 odd bucks, forget it.

This Will cost less than 20 bucks.

What are you planning to load it on to?

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your offer. I tried to send you a P/M with no luck. I received a message back saying that you can not receive any p/m's. I am planning on using a HP Notebook with Windows 10 (laptop). If you want, you can send me a p/m.

Thank you again for your help and offer,

Al

Mss 13 may work with W10 if GPS receiver not connected. Or using in the house.

I presume you know where you live.

Try the receiver mentioned by Scott and others from Amazon.

It will be later in the week before I know where I'm staying .

Wikam in Melbourne was full last time I checked.

Use my copy to make a second just in case.

For the time being text or email Chad and he can text or email me.

I've been using mss since tues pm with no issues.

So it does work.

I hate this auto spell.

It can be embarassing

Last summer my 8 year old netbook that I use with Streets and Trips expired due to old age. I reluctantly ordered a new low end Windows 10 laptop to replace it. I also ordered the new Globalsat GPS because I had heard the old one would not work with Windows 10. Much to my surprise, I found the old GPS worked just fine on the new laptop. It is definitely a driver issue, and I guess I got lucky having the correct one available.

I am certainly no fan of Windows 10 but I could not get Windows 7 on the new laptop due to the fact it had some hardware that is not supported in Windows 7 (no drivers). Fortunately Windows 8.1 will work on the new laptop and as with Windows 10, the old GPS continues to work well.

I plan to use this configuration as long as I can and when it is no longer viable, hope the android mapping field has matured to the point that it is usable for me.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

We have transitioned from PC based ALK CoPilot to Android based RV version. The Android version does everything the PC version did and in some cases better. We are using 10" Samsung tablets, close to the laptop display in size.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Mss 13 may work with W10 if GPS receiver not connected. Or using in the house.

I presume you know where you live.

Try the receiver mentioned by Scott and others from Amazon.

It will be later in the week before I know where I'm staying .

Wikam in Melbourne was full last time I checked.

Use my copy to make a second just in case.

For the time being text or email Chad and he can text or email me.

I've been using mss since tues pm with no issues.

So it does work.

I hate this auto spell.

It can be embarrassing

Hi Roger,

Be safe on the road. No big hurry on my end. I have time on my side. Once you get settled in we can make contact with each other.

Thank you again for your help,

Al

Archived