New Member with Questions...

redheaney

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here at Escapees and looking forward to learning all I need to know, for my new adventures ahead!

Though out of the country at the moment, I hope to be back in the US right after the New Year, with an RV pre-purchased and awaiting my arrival.

Here's my dilemma:

I sold my residence in FL in 2015 and have been outside of the US since. I am returning to the US but have since lost my FL DL. :( It is still valid, I just no longer have it in my possession. And obviously, I no longer reside at the address previously listed, since selling the house.

I need a permanent address for the re-issuance of said license. I also need to furnish the Insurance Company (of the RV I purchase) with a home address...

I have joined Escapees and downloaded the necessary paperwork for the mail forwarding service/domicile address. At the risk of sounding completely stupid, how do I accomplish this as I am out of the country at the moment... and wonder how I will be able to get temporary tags for purchased rv, before driving to Bushnell, FL - to do what I have to do there?!!

Thanks in advance! :)

rpsinc, I figured that since I was last a resident in FL, that would make things easier... even with the misplaced DL. Wouldn't I have to physically be in SD to obtain a SD DL, which as I understand it, would have to be obtained within 6 months of declaring residency?

Although the FL license is MIA, I do have an Irish license, on which I should be good - for the initial time back in the US.

First of all, welcome to the Escapee forums and to the Escapees RV Club,

I believe that you would be wise to first contact the FL department of motor vehicles to see about recovering your valid driving license. That is so meting that I strongly suggest you do as soon as possible. While it is possible to use your Irish license in the US, you will discover that insurance for the RV will be far more expensive with a foreign license than if you have one in FL.You will also find that the Escapees RV Club is the only complete support system for RV living so take advantage of that. You will probably need to have your previous address in order to get a duplicate of your valid FL license but if you have your Escapee address established, you can change the address on it at the same time. You will also discover quickly that there are far more choices of places to buy an RV in FL and if you need to buy health insurance there are far more choices in FL than in Sd.

You can even start the process of recovering your license right here by internet.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks, Kirk. I kind of figured that FL would be the way to go. I guess the big question is, how do I go about establishing my Escapee address, NOT currently having an address?

I have received a couple of quotes from Progressive on sample rvs that I've been looking at, having told them that I have an FL DL... I feel like I'm in a catch 22 situation, from which there has to be an easier way out!!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, getting with the Escapee mail service is the easiest way to do. That is what we did in Texas, and took perhaps 20 minutes. Then get with the Florida Driver's license division and apply for a replacement, giving them the new mailing address, and it shouldn't be an issue at all. Good luck.

Archived