South Dakota or Texas Domicile?

Nomad Hiker

Where do some get this info that you can't renew dL by mail in SD. I just renewed my cal by mail with SD.

This is from the SD DPS webpage:

https://dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_licensing/Renewing_Your_Driver_License_Online_or_by_Mail.aspx

It doesn't specifically say that you can't renew by mail or online but you do need a hotel or CG receipt dated within the past 12 months. If you're going to go through the trouble of doing that, why not renew at the same time? OTOH if your license address isn't coded as a PMB maybe you can get away with it.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, we would have a SD legal address, but the mailing address will be a Texas address.

So, why not use one of the SD mail forwarders to eliminate that problem?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Why are you doing this when you have since found out that you don't have to be in Texas every year to renew your registration? You are making things so much harder for yourself than necessary. You can do the registration of the truck/5th wheel by mail, just talk to the folks at the Polk County tax office, they will walk you through the whole process. And once it is registered, you can do a short trip over to Anthony, TX, get the rig inspected and get new drivers licences, no need to go to Livingston at all.

Since we find most things equal for our situation, minus the weather of course then it comes down to we don't want to cough up an extra $3500 in sales tax on the truck and 5er. I guess the mailing inconvenience is worth saving the $$. Most of our stuff comes paperless anyway so I don't even think that is going to be a huge thing. We are originally from the Midwest so while we are no fans of winter weather, we are no stranger to it either. Thanks everyone for the input.

So, why not use one of the SD mail forwarders to eliminate that problem?

Linda Sand

We did a "little" research on that when we started this process, and some of them did not provide the residential address only the mail forwarding piece. So it just seemed simpler to go with Escapees. Since most of our stuff is paperless, we decided it would be a minor inconvenience. When I originally posted this, I just wanted to make sure we weren't missing anything BIG. Thanks.

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

Not sure about your SD research. There are many/most of the mail forwarding services that provide you with a legal address. Not sure what made you think they are not a legal address.

Thanks, maybe we will look closer at that. You noticed I said we did a "little" research :) We didn't realize until we filled out the paperwork for Escapees that the legal address would be SD, but mailing would be Texas. By then, we were feeling a bit tapped out with making some big decisions and that one didn't seem like one worthy of more brain cells! We have recovered a bit now that the RV is chosen and ordered, truck is ordered, and the retirement party done etc. We might have some reserved brain cells that we could spare at this point. It's worth a look see, even though I think in the big scheme of things it is just a minor inconvenience to have the 2 addresses. Actually, when I posted this I thought I'd get just a couple of little answers about any big differences. I certainly got my $$$ worth, but you know every time I read the forum, I learn a little bit more about the full-time lifestyle and that is definitely a very good thing!

Happy Trails,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

Hmm, OK. I thought that a ways back, I had read that your mailing address would be in South Dakota (when Escapees added SD to the mix) but the actual handling would be in Texas. I guess I misread or mis-remembered. That being the case, when we make the move, I believe we shall be using a SD mail service.

Escapees mail service remains in Livingston, Tx. What they are doing is setting up a satellite offices in SD and FL to receive "state-specific documents". Your address for all other mail remains in Livingston.

They charge $1 per item to forward from the satellite office to Livingston, so you're better off having non-critical mail sent directly there.

Escapees mail service remains in Livingston, Tx. What they are doing is setting up a satellite offices in SD and FL to receive "state-specific documents". Your address for all other mail remains in Livingston.

They charge $1 per item to forward from the satellite office to Livingston, so you're better off having non-critical mail sent directly there.

Yes, agree. In SD, It goes to an attorney's office. It is only for those things that can not go to the PMB, DVM stuff etc. The attorney's office packs it up and sends it to TX then TX sends to the addressee...a bit convoluted. No other mail will be accepted there only "residence" specific stuff so should only be 1-2 pieces 1 x year that is "if " you get your bank statements paperless.

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

. No other mail will be accepted there only "residence" specific stuff ...........................

You could send other things there, by why would you want to? The address your mail is sent to is not related to your domicile, only your legal address.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, agree. In SD, It goes to an attorney's office. It is only for those things that can not go to the PMB, DVM stuff etc.

With all due respect, there is absolutely no reason why DVM stuff can't go to a PMB, in SD at least. Our PMB is the address shown on our drivers licenses (including my CDL) and I have no problems having my renewal stickers and plates sent there. Most likely, Escapees chose to use an attorney's office so it could avoid having to hire staff, but it wasn't necessary from a legal perspective.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

You could send other things there, by why would you want to? The address your mail is sent to is not related to your domicile, only your legal address.

Thanks

With all due respect, there is absolutely no reason why DVM stuff can't go to a PMB, in SD at least. Our PMB is the address shown on our drivers licenses (including my CDL) and I have no problems having my renewal stickers and plates sent there. Most likely, Escapees chose to use an attorney's office so it could avoid having to hire staff, but it wasn't necessary from a legal perspective.

Interesting...will give it a try. Maybe no mail will go there or the person who relayed that to me from Escapees didn't quite understand it either or perhaps I didn't.

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

All our SD DMV (Incidentally it isn't DMV that do registrations etc its treasury or some such) goes to our Escapees PMB and when they lost our new plates in the mail last year they had no problem at all sending the replacement directly to our PMB in Livingston!

The SKP mail facility in Box Elder isn't a lawyers office as far as we could tell. When we went there in person it as an abandoned shopping center!

I actually LIKE dealing with SD on license and registration issues, they are glad to talk t you, they don't keep you on hold all day. Compared to CA it's heavenly dealing with SD.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

With all due respect, there is absolutely no reason why DVM stuff can't go to a PMB, in SD at least.

Very true, so long as that PMB is located in SD. What is important is that you driver's license and vehicle registration list an address in whatever state you are registering them in. Renewals are then sent to that address in most cases, as a means of verifying the validity of that address.

I'm not sure exactly how the Escapee SD address is listed as I have never used it, but mail sent to the Escapee SD address is then forwarded to the user, as I understand via the Livingston mail service. To date, Escapees do not have full mail service in either SD or FL, but only has the full mail service at Raimbow's End. I can appreciate why it might be confusing to the user.

The SKP mail facility in Box Elder isn't a lawyers office as far as we could tell. When we went there in person it as an abandoned shopping center!

I actually LIKE dealing with SD on license and registration issues, they are glad to talk t you, they don't keep you on hold all day. Compared to CA it's heavenly dealing with SD.

BnB

Oh really! Interesting. This is the info we got from Livingston...HAH! Who knows as long as it works! Yes, just got off phone with DMV and I spoke with a real person in under 3 minutes! Impressive!

I'm not sure exactly how the Escapee SD address is listed as I have never used it, but mail sent to the Escapee SD address is then forwarded to the user, as I understand via the Livingston mail service. To date, Escapees do not have full mail service in either SD or FL, but only has the full mail service at Raimbow's End. I can appreciate why it might be confusing to the user.

316 Villa Dr. #__________ Box Elder, SD 57719; Escapees gives you the #.

Confusing ???

At least scrambled eggs taste good . ;)

No not at all! HA! HA! HA!

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

• 2 weeks later...

First off - pardon my barging in on this thread - I started a similar thread about similar issues and this saw THIS thread and now my head hurts too :D

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, we would have a SD legal address, but the mailing address will be a Texas address.

Not that this is a Big deal - like you said: 316 Villa Dr. # XXXX, Box Elder, SD 57719 will work as a legal address.

I am confused by your comment that the mailing address would be a TX address :huh: How can this be?

Thanks, maybe we will look closer at that. You noticed I said we did a "little" research :) We didn't realize until we filled out the paperwork for Escapees that the legal address would be SD, but mailing would be Texas. By then, we were feeling a bit tapped out with making some big decisions and that one didn't seem like one worthy of more brain cells! We have recovered a bit now that the RV is chosen and ordered, truck is ordered, and the retirement party done etc. We might have some reserved brain cells that we could spare at this point. It's worth a look see, even though I think in the big scheme of things it is just a minor inconvenience to have the 2 addresses. Actually, when I posted this I thought I'd get just a couple of little answers about any big differences. I certainly got my $$$ worth, but you know every time I read the forum, I learn a little bit more about the full-time lifestyle and that is definitely a very good thing!

With all due respect to Escapees - make no mistake I love this club! I am starting to wonder if DakotaPost is not a better alternative mail forwarding service?

https://dakotapost.net/

They seem to offer several services that are beyond the realm of Escapees. Not looking to get into a us vs them argument here folks just wanting to compare the relative merits of each forwarding service.

My big concern with Escapees - at least as I am understanding it now by reading this thread is, you will indeed have that legal street address in Box Elder SD but all your mail is "processed" at Livingston, TX. How is this possible? I mean I KNOW you can do it but it seems a logistical nightmare!

Exemplar: Our (and perhaps several hundred other full-timers) mail is received at the Box Elder address on a daily basis. This mail is then boxed up (by someone? The legal firm? Folks working at the abandoned shopping center?) and transshipped to Livingston, TX where it is processed. If this is the process then:

Issue 1: This will add at least 1 day (probably several since it will travel surface) transit time before we are notified of delivery

Issue 2: How is certified/registered mail handled? We really do not expect to receive mail of this nature but you DO have to plan :)

Issue 3: Additional point of failure - what safeguards are in place to ensure mail is not lost from SD to TX?

Yes, agree. In SD, It goes to an attorney's office. It is only for those things that can not go to the PMB, DVM stuff etc. The attorney's office packs it up and sends it to TX then TX sends to the addressee...a bit convoluted. No other mail will be accepted there only "residence" specific stuff so should only be 1-2 pieces 1 x year that is "if " you get your bank statements paperless.

Does it really go to an Attorney's office? This is fine, and actually preferable to the "Abandoned Shopping Center" ;) But the magnitude of scale is hard to wrap my head around.

Exemplar: Let's assume there are 200 people using the Box Elder address. Let's assume each addressee received 3 pieces of mail a week (lowballing here) That is 600pieces of mail that the Office Assistant at the Attorney's office has to handle per week. Not to count the "Official" Tag/registration mail, the occasional registered/certified mail.

That's a LOT of work. Again how is the mail handled? is it transshipped to Livingston on a daily, every other day or weekly basis?

Very true, so long as that PMB is located in SD. What is important is that you driver's license and vehicle registration list an address in whatever state you are registering them in. Renewals are then sent to that address in most cases, as a means of verifying the validity of that address.

Yep, I 'm so confused :D

Truth be told, domiciling in TX would not really bother me *except* there is a chance in 2019 that we may purchase a new Coach - the difference in 6.5% and 4% would be a significant chunk of change.

Sure, I realize we could change our domicile for 2019, but as the OP will attest, it is a really bad idea™ for Federal Retirees to unnecessarily change addresses (all sorts of *bad* things can happen if a agency uses a address and gets a return to sender)

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

Everyone you know will have your address as Livingston, TX and all of your mail will go there. It's not processed in SD and then shipped to TX and then to you. It will go directly to TX. The only mailed you'll receive in SD is your registrations and license info - a yearly thing. Those couple of pieces of mail will be forwarded to TX and will be sent to you along with your regular mail.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Everyone you know will have your address as Livingston, TX and all of your mail will go there. It's not processed in SD and then shipped to TX and then to you. It will go directly to TX. The only mailed you'll receive in SD is your registrations and license info - a yearly thing. Those couple of pieces of mail will be forwarded to TX and will be sent to you along with your regular mail.

Adding, there is no legal reason that your mail must go to the address where legal documents go, which is to your domicile address. But the driver's license,voter registration, vehicle registration and vehicle insurance will require the domicile address as they send renewals to that address, partly to verify it. Those are the only documents required to go there. All other mail you simply have sent to the Texas mail center, thus saving both re-mailing time and expense. It is no different than using a PO box in that you can't use one for service of legal papers since you are personally never there.

Adding, there is no legal reason that your mail must go to the address where legal documents go, which is to your domicile address. But the driver's license,voter registration, vehicle registration and vehicle insurance will require the domicile address as they send renewals to that address, partly to verify it. Those are the only documents required to go there. All other mail you simply have sent to the Texas mail center, thus saving both re-mailing time and expense. It is no different than using a PO box in that you can't use one for service of legal papers since you are personally never there.

Actually, I'm not sure that's entirely true. At least some health insurance companies are pretty picky about ensuring that you really live in a state and I'd hate to confuse them by using an out-of-state mailing address when, in fact, both addresses are just mail forwarding centers.

In addition, things such as professional licenses would also need to use your legal address as might applications for credit, etc.

Personally, we decided that our existing SD mail forwarding service better met our needs. Recently, because of its small-town location, it was able to intervene and remedy a vehicle registration mistake made by a TX car dealer in the course of registering a car we had purchased while there. SD Motor Vehicles had notified our mail service that "one of your clients" has a problem and the issue was resolved in a day; that would have taken more time without the presence of local SD staff. FWIW we use MyDakotaAdress in Madison SD.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

My birthday falls in April so not the greatest time to return, so I get a 6 month extension from the State DMV via mail on a e-mailed form from them. This way we can renew at my wife's birthday in July.

That's helpful info. My BD is in February, which is suboptimal timing for a South Dakota visit. :-O

--

2017 Promaster 159" , 570W mono, 220AH FLA

blog | RVwiki project

That's helpful info. My BD is in February, which is suboptimal timing for a South Dakota visit. :-O

You can renew 6 months early in SD which negates any issue with the "time of the year".

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

In addition, things such as professional licenses would also need to use your legal address as might applications for credit, etc.

I suspect that is true. Those are things which should be considered in domicile selection as well.

I use the Escapees mail forwarding service in Livingston. I also use the Escapees So Dakota address for my domicile. I have a So Dakota drivers license, registered my vehicles in So Dakota, have So Dakota insurance (auto and health) and am registered to vote in So Dakota using the Villa Dr address in Box Elder. The only mail that goes to the SD address is related to my drivers license, registration, insurance and voting. All other mail goes directly to Livingston. The mail sent to Villa Dr is forwarded to Livingston. I have absolutely no problems with this system. I call Livingston on the 1st and 15 th of the month and have my mail sent to me wherever I happen to be at that time.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 2 weeks later...

Archived