5er vs CL A

jacks

We are in a 5th wheel and a one ton 4x4 dually, both new and paid for. So far so good. We really aren't campers ... more like travelers who bring their home with them. Not likely to ever even try boondocking ... just not who we are. That whole "arriving in a monsoon" benefit of a class A scenario sounds like a planning issue ... if there are storms in the area you are going, sit tight until the forecast improves. Driving the big truck around is no big deal for me as I've been driving 4x4 pickups since 1997. I actually prefer trucks to cars and like the view from higher up and that I'm in a 9,000 lbs truck and not a 2,000 lbs "economy (pick the one you like) car". I also like the idea that if this setup stops meeting our needs, we can always make a change. No decision needs to be forever, so going either the 5th wheel route or the class A DP is not an irrevocable decision, just the one you have currently made. I think both are great ways to travel and prefer either to "planes, trains, automobiles and cruise ships (with the required packing and dragging of suitcases filled with first clean and then dirty clothes and a string of strange beds and mattresses)". But hey, that's just IMO.

2017 KZ Durango Gold 381REF, 8K morRYDE IS, Disc brakes, 17.5" Hi Spec Aluminum Wheels w Goodyear G114 H rated tires

2016 F350 King Ranch DRW, 3.73, 4x4, Super Duty Crew Cab, 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

26,760 CGVW

. That whole "arriving in a monsoon" benefit of a class A scenario sounds like a planning issue ...

This one made me smile as I once thought that was as well. Our years on the road taught us well that weather forecasting is not an exact science and sometimes it isn't even close. If you are able to avoid ever traveling in bad weather, you are far better than most of us.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

...weather forecasting is not an exact science and sometimes it isn't even close.

That's probably my fault. I am the regional weather rock technician, but only have one assistant and can't be everywhere at once. For local repairs/diagnostics.. try a new set of glasses or please call 1-800-ibrokemyrock.

Meteorologists are one of the few professions (?) that get paid for being wrong.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I'm also one who already had a truck for a horse trailer so a TT/5'er made more sense especially as originally the intent was to park it indefinitely at the ranch. I also have really only ever owned and driven trucks and I can't see myself giving them up, even if I didn't have a trailer. My truck is great off road,

It is also generally cheaper to buy a newer 5'er and truck than a Class A. I was into my 7yo (at the time) 5'er and diesel truck for a hair over $20K

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

Dune,

That makes a lot of sense, I am reluctant to get a class a and then get another motorized vehicle, but still in the paralysis by analysis stage. Hope that trailer keeps warm in your neck of the woods. Saw your blog about Johnson creek, great photos!

Thanks for the feedback.

It is also generally cheaper to buy a newer 5'er and truck than a Class A. I was into my 7yo (at the time) 5'er and diesel truck for a hair over $20K

What costs less just depends upon what you choose to buy. I suggest to you that you need to consider the cost of using the truck that can tow a large trailer as your daily driver as you compare the combination of a motorhome & tow vehicle. It isn't as simple as buying what is cheapest, but you need to consider what will be best for your use over all of the years that you expect to be on the road. In addition, will you really be happy if you choose one type of RV in order to save money, when you really wanted to travel in something different? Remember that if you "settle" for what is cheapest, or what someone here believes you should buy, then later down the road are not happy with that choice, trading RVs costs a great deal of money and destroys any supposed savings very quickly. As long as you can afford it, your best choice is to buy what you really want.

What costs less just depends upon what you choose to buy. I suggest to you that you need to consider the cost of using the truck that can tow a large trailer as your daily driver as you compare the combination of a motorhome & tow vehicle. It isn't as simple as buying what is cheapest, but you need to consider what will be best for your use over all of the years that you expect to be on the road. In addition, will you really be happy if you choose one type of RV in order to save money, when you really wanted to travel in something different? Remember that if you "settle" for what is cheapest, or what someone here believes you should buy, then later down the road are not happy with that choice, trading RVs costs a great deal of money and destroys any supposed savings very quickly. As long as you can afford it, your best choice is to buy what you really want

This is true. My truck gets around 18mpg when not towing which is actually better than my Yukon, for whatever reason. I already know I wasn't willing to give up my truck and already owned it, so my projected costs are definitely slightly different to others.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

We have a class A , a Jeep and a no ped ( Suzuki FA50 ) . The Jeep comes in play when the weather is inclement and the distance farther than I care to take the '50' .

Needless to say , the 50 gets a little better mileage per gallon than the Jeep . ;) When in camp , I think the 50 gets used more than the Jeep , over all .

Goes around , comes around .

Wife and I have had three 5ers since 2011. The first was a used Jayco, then a new Cyclone and currently a new Lifestyle. I bought a new dually to pull the Jayco and have used that for the other 2. Next time I will SERIOUSLY consider a Class A, likely a DP. A tag axle would be primo so it could handle a motorcycle lift on the back. Might toad the dually with a RZR in the bed. The dually will still have plenty of life in it by the time we're looking for our next RV.

Drawback to a Class A is it has less overall living space when setup than a 5er of the same length.

Another option for me will be a Class A with a lot of towing capacity. Would tow an enclosed trailer containing a sub-compact car, RZR, and motorcycle. I'll also have to consider where to park the trailer when not traveling. Probably just back it in the yard and leave it connected to the coach.

Have you looked at tagged axle DPs, with quad slides against 5th wheel in term of living space? And do not overlook storage space underneath. Plus no inside stairs, etc. actually when talking about a tag DP the equivalent 5er will need an MDT/HDT to pulled, and more importantly, stop it!

Most mid/higher end DPs have 10K hitches, a lot have 15K hitches, especially the tag axles

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I would only want a tag axle if absolutely necessary as they add a lot of weight to the MH as well as using up valuable storage space. I agree with the 4 slides on a DP....tons of room inside.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Being a solo guy, probably don't need that much, but those foretravel 12 or so year old DP's are like a high end condo!

But too much space for one guy. So many choices.

I do like the idea of a CL A with a scooter/moped but with fat off road tires and a little more ooomph than a moped for grocery etc runs.

Being a solo guy, probably don't need that much, but those foretravel 12 or so year old DP's are like a high end condo!............ So many choices..

Be very careful in choosing what advice to follow since this is to be your permanent home! Bigger isn't always better for either you or your budget. We didn't all choose to live in the same size or type of stick home so why would all of us prefer the same size or type of RV home? We have never been a part of the "bigger is better" group and we still have had an RV living experience to rival any of those offering advice. I'm not saying that anyone here is wrong, only that we can't all be right since we have differing opinions about what you should buy. To "have had three 5ers since 2011" is a pretty costly practice and to me the constant moving would get pretty old. Based upon the advice on RV's to live full-time in, we did more wrong than right, yet we kept that RV for 14 years and 12 of them it was our only home! My point is that what is important is for you to make sure that the choice you make is right for you, your lifestyle, and your budget. In some circumstances, smaller can be better and the same is true for cheaper.

It is very easy for us to choose your RV and spend your money, since we don't have to live with the result.

ROKON!!

https://www.rokon.com/

That was the route I went down but had a Yam 225 dual sport not a scoot. It is a real lightweight. It was OK on the freeway and great fun off road. Transverse carrier on the hitch made it easy to carry. I did not notice the difference when both were left behind.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

Archived