Elio Motors

RV_

OK,

I am invested in Tesla as most know and could afford one if I cashed out some but I am waiting for both the Model X and possible may wait until the Consumer model comes out in 2017. But despite not feeding a tow vehicle anymore and only part timing, and again looking for a rig, the cost of fuel gets me every time I fill up. I have been looking at this ne3w start up, Elio Motors since last year and immediately thought it was a repeat of the Dale Scam of the 70s.

That is, until they chose Shreveport, which is next to where I live now, to have their factory. They are leasing what we locally refer to as the "old GM plant" over on the Bert Kouns Loop in Shreveport's West side. I was excited as a vehicle fan, like most guys are when a new idea gets done. But like with Tesla I waited to see it happen before I invested all our liquid holdings into it. It so happened that they didn't go public until two years after putting the roadster into production, and to raise funds for the Fremont CA. Factory refitting.

I drove by and they are really doing it here! Their lease landlord says they are paid up through 2015, and it looks real enough to me to believe it will happen. It was mentioned here already but I finally took the plunge. I now as of today have a paid up reservation for one and am number 26k plus in line. I am not going to go back to get my exact number as of today because I only put $100.00 cash down on one. If they go bankrupt before my car comes off the assembly line oh well, they and I tried. However, they don't let on how many are 1000.00 deposits, 500, etc. because us $100.00 deposit customers are bumped by every person who puts more deposit down.

For those who, missed the earlier thread here you can catch up and go here: http://www.eliomotors.com/

Why now? For me it is because I do not want a years long wait like the electric smart had.

Why Elio? Well I was a lifetime biker/scooter/three-wheeler/dune-buggy driver/rider, and I love the idea itself of a production three wheeler with all the amenities of A/C, Heat, Rain and weather proof, and holds us two and some groceries, or a lot of groceries if only one goes and the rear seat is down via the hatchback. It will hold a bag of golf clubs or whatever.

But the biggest reason is the promised 84 mpg. At todays prices that is like me paying ~ a dollar a gallon in equivalence. (30mpg is almost 1/3 of 83mpg gas here costs $3.10 a gallon at todays cheapest station.)The savings are even greater if we compare it to my 20 mpg Ranger truck, or my 24mpg HHR. Only Lynn's 2012 Kia Rio 5 door hatchback gets 30 mpg or more.

So hopefully I can be driving it next year. If not, I consider it no more of a loss than my annual charity, the St. Jude house that is donated and built every year, and for which I buy one $100.00 ticket. I have not won in the 7 or so years I have contributed. But it is also my charity. (Well we do the local women's shelter and the food bank too)

What are they going to come up with next?

Life is good.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah,

$10,000.00 - $13,000.00 more at $20,000.00! Nice looking ride.

Here's another link http://www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk/desktopindex.html The Morgan looks more like a roadster than cycle. Just $54,000.00.

Or this Campagna T-Rex at $65,000.00 http://www.campagnamotors.com/

The Elio appeals for the mpg and under $7,000.00 price. I'm sure that will change some by the time my reservation number comes up. I want A/C and a car feel for little and that gives it so far. Let's see what happens in the next six months.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I'll let you know If I decide to sell mine, NOT!

shining.gif

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I'll be buying one as well if they meet the spec's and are "near" the advertised price point and mpg. HERE is the link to the photo album of when I went to see an early prototype over a year ago. They may make it, and they may not....like Tesla they have dealership issues, although they seem to be progressing on that point. Lots of room for failure, though, so I remain skeptical but hopeful.

Like Derek I want an all weather vehicle. The price is right and the marketing/sales plan is a good one and innovative.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

If they come in as advertised I'll be surprised. They are under the Smart cars initial US pricing by $4k, and over the price of new motor scooters. I'll have a thousand dollar tolerance on price and be happy if they come in at 70 mpg. Outside those ranges I'll drive over and have a talk eyeball to eyeball.

I expected their direct from the factory and Pep Boys service centers to cause some issues with dealers again. Had the Smart car and Smart Electric been direct from the dealer they might have been this low too, without the dealer middle man profits.

I have no past years knowledge of the owner, and making the non-refundable deposit was a leap of faith. With Tesla I followed Musk and SpaceX the whole time. But it is a local to me company, and they did pay to lease the old GM plant. So they have more to lose than my hundred bucks. I remember being told Tesla would not ever bring a car to production here, two years after they had Roadsters all over the roads worldwide.

I think it is time we got rid of dealers as an only way of buying cars and motorcycles. Let those who think they need dealers buy from them, by all means. There is room for all of us in a growing economy. Let new businesses and jobs make it or break it on their own. Oh no, Just saw Robin Williams is dead!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Derek, I agree they will likely not come in at the advertised price or mpg. But I have about the same tolerances as you do. If they hit those I'll buy one. Especially if they do their credit card payment deal....that is interesting based on the minimums, etc.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I wouldn't mind having an up close and personal look. It sure would be economical to get around in. Depending upon comfort, I wonder if there would be a type of "attachment" where one could store a couple of suitcases, maybe like a luggage rack only on the back of it, maybe?, like for a long trip?

Interesting.

Brian, it was comfortable up front for my 6'2" and 210lbs.... Tandem seat was "OK", but it was a prototype. There is space behind the tandem seat for groceries, etc. It is adequate. The new prototype has a "trunk" to access that area. It should be fine for what it is intended for. I did not find the tandem position particularly confining...just different. Not where I'd want to be for a 500 mile trip.

www.jackdanmayer.com

That's encouraging, Jack. Thanks.

One thing I didn't see, not sure if I just read over it and didn't realize or not, but, is this thing considered a "passenger car" or a "motorcycle" or something else? I wondered if I'd need a motorcycle license to drive it. Do you know?

Brian,

Did you go to the link! There is a menu selection for photos. One of them shows the hatch open. With the seat down they said it could carry a set of golf clubs. I don't think that a luggage rack would work without affecting stability and dropping the mpg by half or more. But you never know.

I have three vehicles at all times. One a truck big or small that can tow my trailers. Then two daily drivers and this one would become my daily driver. The other will be the trip car and the big SUV back to be able to transport the dogs when they have to go to the vet. Right now that is the HHR, but I'm looking at some used newer flex fuel eco boost ones with great mileage. So it will not be our trip car. However we always have three so we can drop one off for repairs or like tomorrow, getting the ignition switch that does not need to be replaced, replaced, on my Chevy HHR, with neither of us being without our ride. We don't share computers or cars.

It is registered as a motorcycle, but some states won't require a cycle endorsement. Are you sill in Mississippi? They will require you to wear a helmet in it. Go to the FAQ page on their website. There is a link to the helmet law three wheeler states in a PDF. Lots more.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thanks, Derek. I poked around the website for a good while but managed to miss all of that. We canned 17 1/2 quarts of tomato sauce yesterday, from our own tomatoes, and we were tired. :) (And the sauce is wonderful!)

Nope, not in MS anymore, or LA. Still fulltime in the RV, domiciled in SD, currently parked in PA at my parents' property but soon to be headed back to KY for another stint at Amazon. No home base right now. Would like one, but haven't found quite the right spot.

Right now, we have 2 vehicles, one the F350 and a Toyota Sienna minivan. They're comfortable but neither of them is cheap to drive. And I had a bout of sticker shock a few days ago when I filled up the van with gas. It was all but empty, practically ran to the station on fumes... It was almost $72. OUCH!! That got me to thinking more about something more economical again.

I saw the map on the website (this morning) about the states requiring a helmet. Does that mean that if I drive legally in my home state without a helmet, that I'd have to put one on when I crossed the state line of a state that required the helmet?

I saw the map on the website (this morning) about the states requiring a helmet. Does that mean that if I drive legally in my home state without a helmet, that I'd have to put one on when I crossed the state line of a state that required the helmet?

Yes all motorcyclist have to follow the rules on helmet use of the state they are ridding in.

You may not get stopped for not wearing one in the Elio. If you want to take that chance.

If stopped it is best to have a helmet with you if you want to continue and not have the Elio towed.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

There are really two states issues. I would expect the helmet law to be excepted by all in the case of a crash tested three wheel car. Or for the states in question to register the Elio as a car and except it that way.

However, the states that do not allow factory direct to customer auto sales, because of the local state Automobile Dealer's Association, may block any attempt to be able to even buy it in their states. Texas is one of these. So if your domicile bans direct to customer vehicle sales, you might want to write your legislators and ask them to reconsider silly regulations that are not in the interests fo free enterprise and competition which is good for us, the voters. No state should take away the right of choice for the citizens of their state. The state has no right to tell us what to buy, or what way we buy it.

So if your state insists on folks wearing a helmet in the Elio see if they even allow it to be sold! It may be that issue driving any and all obstacles put in one's way in buying direct, and circumventing the Auto dealer middlemen from masking cars cost us more. I have no issue with folks that prefer a dealer, and the haggling, and having the more expensive service done at one. No one is taking that away or trying to regulate them. Just trying to get them to stop regulating our grown up choices, and deregulate Auto sales by the factory through their own showrooms and sales.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

3000 more bucks and you can buy a new Chevy Spark.

$9999 is what I paid for my 2013 brand new.

My dealer was selling 2014 models for the same price.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

Was that with A/C? I just got off the Phone with Chevy Land here locally Their number is 318-425-3471 and they are holding at MSRP almost $17,000.00! Could you give me the name and phone number of your Oregon dealer? That not because I don't believe you, but I can use it for leverage here. If you are uncomfortable posting it here then would you PM me with the name and number.

Thanks.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Guess I missed Chevy posting that the Spark gets 84 MPG.

3000 more bucks then the Spark you can almost buy 2 Elio's. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

The electric Spark gets 82 miles per charge. It's an actual EV. I can have both, the Spark now at that price, and I bet I can sell it next year for what I paid when the Elio is ready.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Regarding the Chevy Spark.

My Chevy Spark is gas and has a 5 speed manual. And yes has AC.

My Dealer was Airport Chevrolet in Medford Oregon.

My salesman was Joel Dapkus.

They get in a bunch of these cars.... like 50 - 60 cars at one time and sell them at $9999.

Since 2013, they have repeated this 2 or 3 times a year.

I suspect they will do this again in 2014 and 2015.

All are the base model and have manual transmission.

If anyone is interested, Call Joel and have him call you when they get more in.

I am in process of adding a base plate.

Car will tow w/ all 4 down, but must be manual trans.

We have about 18,000 mikes on our 2013. Gets about 38-40 mpg average.

Has 4 cylinder engine.

Been a good little car. AC needed work/ was covered under warranty.

Other than that, no problems.

AC works great now. Runs and drives great. Fun car.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

Hey great info! Especially for a toad! I already have a 2012 Kia Rio 5 Hatchback and am looking for double that or an EV. I will check back on the Gas one just to see what difference the part of the country makes.

When we stayed at the SKP CoOp in Sutherlin and I broke two ribs falling off the ladder while waxing my fiver, I went to the Medford then brand new VA. Gorgeous area!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I also put down a deposit, number 14,400 ish...I think it will be a great second car for us to keep at our winter base...of course, once I put on the power steering, power windows and maybe sunroof and automatic transmission I expect to pay about 10K...over all a great deal for a brand new car with that type of gas mileage!

Hey EK, you were way ahead of me. I am in the 26000 range and any higher deposits get ahead of me so I will get pushed back more as we go.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Hey EK, you were way ahead of me. I am in the 26000 range and any higher deposits get ahead of me so I will get pushed back more as we go.

Maybe they'll have the bugs out by then. :D

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Archived