Winter-proof 5'er or Class A Toy Hauler?

Hi, I'm searching for a winter-proof toy hauler. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are new full-timers and we love winter. During the summer our 25' Class B is fine. But now we are winter camping and we need more LP storage, insulation, and indoor room for our bikes. My wish list includes:

1. Enclosed, insulated, and heated holding tanks

2. Lots of LP (currently we have only 17# capacity (!))

3. Separate garage for all of our gear. Bicycles, skis, SUP, kayak, paddles, etc.

4. I'd love a fiberglass roof

5. The shorter the better. I don't want to go from 25' to 45'. I still want to be as nimble as possible.

6. Durability is important

So far KZ looks the best. Arctic Fox doesn't have a toy 5er--just bumper pulls. Winnebago is not very insulated. Excel wild cargo is out of business. Can anyone point me towards other good brands or models?

Thanks so much!!!

Depending on how much you want to spend (and assuming you have enough truck to pull it, because they're heavy), you might consider the New Horizons toy hauler. With New Horizons, you can have it built to your specifications:

http://horizonsrv.com/models/motomover-floorplans/

(The floorplans at the above site are just suggestions, not the only thing they'll build.)

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Check out grand designs momentum, they are marketed as full time ready, supposedly they are decently insulated. Though not without their issues either, based on what I see on the Facebook group. But I've looked at them myself and they seem pretty well made compared to theat competition. Another would be Dutchmen Voltage, I've seen a few of those winter camping as well.

We are selling our house so cost doesn't matter so much. We will be buying a big truck to pull it...

Whatever you do, keep in mind that you need to have a nest egg for the day that you need to leave the road for some reason. We went on the road expecting to be fulltime for at least 15 years but suddenly Pam's health problems flared up and we needed to have somewhere to home base that had no steps and good access with crutches, walkers and similar appliances. Fortunately we were able to find such a place in a price that we could afford.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Newmar is an excellent manufacturer but doesn't build 5th wheels any longer.. they used to do so. They do build a gas motorhome toy hauler but it's 39' - probably too long for you. Check these out. We loved our Newmar quality.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Newmar-Toy-Hauler-For-Sale---Newmar-Toy-Hauler-RVs---RVTrader.Com/search-results?make=Newmar%7C8880048&type=toy%20hauler%7C139350904&sort=featured%3Aasc&radius=150&page=1&

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

As to heating, you can help the efficiency of your heating by using a vent free heater (ProCom or Camco Olympian) which are more like 98% efficient as opposed to the RV furnaces which are around 30-35% efficient. Imagine being able to get 3X the heating efficiency from the same amount of LP. Also, if you are long terming somewhere, people will rent/lease a larger cylinder from a local company which will fill it in place and the costs are varied but service has a price.

I have an older Newmar Kountry Aire, it is well built and Newmar 5ers can be had for reasonable prices. A little elbow grease to service it, maintain it and make it your own.

Enjoy your journey

Marcel

Another vote for Newmars. If you can find a good used fiver they are well worthwhile. Our Mountain Aire is 12 years old, and while the outside is beginning to show it's age, the inside is like new. We've spent 7 years using it for 6 to 7 months a year and lived in it for the entire year of 2016.

Ours has a winter package: one AC, two furnaces, double pane windows, two 30 lb propane tanks, and extra insulation. No heated tanks, but the the furnaces blow into the enclosed belly. We particularly like the two furnaces. We can leave the main one downstairs at 55 and turn the one in the bedroom off with a window open (and plenty of blankets!)

A few years ago we got caught in Denver when it hit 18 below one night and stayed below zero for something like eight days! We put aluminum insulating material inside the windows and we were snug as a bug in rug! No issues at all. Well, one issue. With both furnaces running at 65 to keep the belly tanks warm it was too hot in the bedroom at night! And I was filling a propane tank every other day!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Hi, I'm searching for a winter-proof toy hauler. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are new full-timers and we love winter. During the summer our 25' Class B is fine. But now we are winter camping and we need more LP storage, insulation, and indoor room for our bikes. My wish list includes:

1. Enclosed, insulated, and heated holding tanks

2. Lots of LP (currently we have only 17# capacity (!))

3. Separate garage for all of our gear. Bicycles, skis, SUP, kayak, paddles, etc.

4. I'd love a fiberglass roof

5. The shorter the better. I don't want to go from 25' to 45'. I still want to be as nimble as possible.

6. Durability is important

So far KZ looks the best. Arctic Fox doesn't have a toy 5er--just bumper pulls. Winnebago is not very insulated. Excel wild cargo is out of business. Can anyone point me towards other good brands or models?

Thanks so much!!!

I haven't read through all of the replies but didn't see anyone mention Spacecraft to you. They are not too far away from New Horizons on I70 so if you plan to visit New Horizons it would be another few hours and you could visit Spacecraft too.

I too wanted a FULL 4 SEASON RV. I'm close, but am not sure I would want to spend a complete winter in the midwest. I did do November and December there my first year owning my Spacecraft and learned enough that for now the latest I will stay is the first of November. Could I plan and set up to stay somewhere in the snow and cold. Yes, but it would take a lot of planning, and work. You would not be able to just pull into a campground and do your usual summer time setup and call it done.

I was at the Tampa RV show last weekend and did notice a -something degree rating in the New Horizons trailer I looked at. I'm sure if you go to their website it will be listed somewhere there.

You spoke of Excel as one you may consider. The new CEO for New Horizons was I believe an owner of Excel and has taken over after the passing of the owner of New Horizons.

Good luck with your search.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived