Extended Warranties

We have recently engaged in conversation with Wholesale Warranties about an extended 5 year warranty on our 2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA, which frankly, has been quite a lemon with way more than the standard "new model attrition." Warranty on our "Freya" just expired. Any thoughts about these extended warranties? Are they worth it or better just to take your chances. Wholesale Warranties wants around $3500 for 5 years. Any other companies we should be looking at?

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Remember that any such "warranty" is really just an insurance policy to cover your RV. As such they only save you money if you have a major repair or if you have many more moderate problems. It should always be a business decision and I suggest that you read this article from Escapees Magazine before you buy one. Consider what you believe to be the worst case scenario and ask yourself if it will cause you financial harm, if it isn't insured for. Then compare that potential cost to your budget and also to the price you will have to pay for coverage. There is value in being able to sleep better, knowing that you are covered for the worst possible case, but it won't be cheap. No insurance underwriter can stay in business for long if they pay out more in claims that they take in from premiums for the average customer.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Had then on both our 5th wheels since 2006 RV shield on the 2006 and now Cornerstone on the 2013.Would not be without one.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

When I got my TT new, I purchased the extended warranty, 2k, for 5 yrs coverage. I ended up canceling the warranty and put the money in a savings acct.

I have an additional year from the mfg. that I got for peanuts, but it really only covers things the mfg would be responsible for like the framing, installation issues, etc. (most everything else has its own warranty; fridge, microwave, etc)

Other than the structure, and perhaps the slides, most things can be replaced for a lot less than 2k. The fridge is probably the most expensive thing to replace, but it has a 2 yr warranty and quite often can be repaired after the warranty is out.

Labor is often the expensive part of a repair, so if you had to replace the microwave, a new basic one is under $100, and if you can install it yourself, no labor cost (labor would probably cost more than the microwave!)

I have already fixed numerous things myself without resorting to warranty coverage, avoiding the hassle of fighting with a dealership, something I despise, and perhaps having the TT in the shop for months, "waiting on parts". So far I have spent a total of ~$200 on minor repairs. Just repaired a blind today for the cost of the cord.

This forum and the internet is priceless for diagnosing and fixing things yourself.

Not getting a warranty is a gamble, and might cost you thousands, but paying for it guarantees that you will be out thousands of dollars.

Then again, there is the bigger picture of why RV's have so many problems in the first place, but that is a rant topic. (repairing that blind had me wondering why after 8 months of moderate use the cord gave out)

Good luck with whichever way you go.

Just my $.02

And x2 what remoandiris said. Read the fine print; that was another part of why I cashed it in-very vague and hard to actually know what was even covered.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

When I got my TT new, I purchased the extended warranty, 2k, for 5 yrs coverage. I ended up canceling the warranty and put the money in a savings acct.

I have an additional year from the mfg. that I got for peanuts, but it really only covers things the mfg would be responsible for like the framing, installation issues, etc. (most everything else has its own warranty; fridge, microwave, etc)

Other than the structure, and perhaps the slides, most things can be replaced for a lot less than 2k. The fridge is probably the most expensive thing to replace, but it has a 2 yr warranty and quite often can be repaired after the warranty is out.

Labor is often the expensive part of a repair, so if you had to replace the microwave, a new basic one is under $100, and if you can install it yourself, no labor cost (labor would probably cost more than the microwave!)

I have already fixed numerous things myself without resorting to warranty coverage, avoiding the hassle of fighting with a dealership, something I despise, and perhaps having the TT in the shop for months, "waiting on parts". So far I have spent a total of ~$200 on minor repairs. Just repaired a blind today for the cost of the cord.

This forum and the internet is priceless for diagnosing and fixing things yourself.

Not getting a warranty is a gamble, and might cost you thousands, but paying for it guarantees that you will be out thousands of dollars.

Then again, there is the bigger picture of why RV's have so many problems in the first place, but that is a rant topic. (repairing that blind had me wondering why after 8 months of moderate use the cord gave out)

Good luck with whichever way you go.

Just my $.02

And x2 what remoandiris said. Read the fine print; that was another part of why I cashed it in-very vague and hard to actually know what was even covered.

You make a valid point. If you have the skills and are physically capable of making your own repairs, the service policy is certainly not a practical expense.

However, for those who are unable or unwilling, for whatever reason, to make the repairs, the service policy can be a good investment.

I had an air conditioning unit go bad on my trailer. The mobile service unit wanted over $1900 to replace it. Two local dealers were just as high. I bought the unit and replaced it myself for under $600. Just an example.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

You are correct- I wasn't considering those who can't/won't. Think they might be the minority though as I have found RVr's in general to be quite handy (such as yourself).

It can be a tough decision- it's a lot of money to shell out on the chance you may need it. But then again, it might be worth every penny!

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

Insurance (including extended warranty) companies are in the business to make money. They have enough resources to weather any disaster and on an average charge more in premiums than they will pay in claims. Even with sponsoring TV quiz programs with large giveaways, they have enough left over to turn a nice profit.

The decision to purchase insurance or not then boils down to: 1) Would the worst, largest potential claim be painful without insurance or would it ruin you? 2) As someone said earlier, if you would sleep better insured and the premiums aren't a hardship for you, that's worth a lot? 3) Are you accident prone, that is, do bad things frequently happen to you, or are you generally lucky - that's pretty subjective, but worth a few points on the decision tree?

And then whichever you choose, swear that you will live happily and comfortably with it and the consequences. Life is too short to spend any of it worrying about what-ifs.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Insurance (including extended warranty) companies are in the business to make money.

Very true, but I can't think of any companies that are not in business to make a profit? The RV industry and all of the dealers, after-market suppliers, service shops and such are each one there to turn a profit. But that doesn't make them bad nor does it mean that they are crooks as I suspect that all of us work(ed) for the purpose of bringing home money. Even so, they don't typically save one money as no insurance policy does for the average customer, but they become a financial haven if the worst should happen. I have bought them for some things and even for my RV in some situations, but I did not buy one for our current travel trailer and thus far one would not have paid for much of anything in the 4 years that we have owned this RV.

One thing about "extended warranties" is that to my knowledge, none of them adjust the cost for or exclude the RV in use full-time. There is far greater risk of need for one if you are fulltime. My current travel trailer sits unused for more than half the year so the probability of something failing is half as likely as it would be if we used it every day. When we were fulltime, the loss of us of our RV would mean that we were homeless, but with our present trailer, it's loss simply means that we can't go traveling.

Consider what the policy does NOT cover.

For example, if a slide leaks, does the policy cover the damage and repair? To find/fix a slide leak, it could require slide removal and disassembly. IIRC, policies cover slide motors and such, but would not cover a leak.

The problem occurs when you call them, as per the agreement, and the first question they ask is, "Please send us copies of invoices where you have had this (refrigerator, air conditioner, etc, etc. maintained as per the instructions of the manufacturer.

So you go and dig up the paperwork, and perhaps the mechanic that DID do the "maintenance" failed to write it down exactly as they required.

One instance I heard about, the attachment bolts for the A/C compressor had worked loose, and they denied the claim because THEY claimed that you should have had the A/C compressor on the engine, which was installed at a totally impossible location, SHOULD have been "maintained properly" so that it wouldn't have loosened.

Who does THAT?

The warranty company will use any excuse they can think of to NOT pay for the repair, or to diminish the payment to a ridiculous amount.

Better off to stick the amount of the monthly warranty in a saving account, to save it up for a rainy day. You do all of the maintenance you can think of to do, then they come up with something else.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

The problem occurs when you call them, as per the agreement, and the first question they ask is, "Please send us copies of invoices where you have had this (refrigerator, air conditioner, etc, etc. maintained as per the instructions of the manufacturer.

So you go and dig up the paperwork, and perhaps the mechanic that DID do the "maintenance" failed to write it down exactly as they required.

One instance I heard about, the attachment bolts for the A/C compressor had worked loose, and they denied the claim because THEY claimed that you should have had the A/C compressor on the engine, which was installed at a totally impossible location, SHOULD have been "maintained properly" so that it wouldn't have loosened.

Who does THAT?

The warranty company will use any excuse they can think of to NOT pay for the repair, or to diminish the payment to a ridiculous amount.

Better off to stick the amount of the monthly warranty in a saving account, to save it up for a rainy day. You do all of the maintenance you can think of to do, then they come up with something else.

Is this something which has happened to you, or are you repeating what you've heard? I've heard similar type things in the past, but never from someone who it has actually happened to. This has not been my experience when making a claim nor from others who have made claims. I suppose it may depend on what company you buy the service policy from.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

When that has happened, share with us who and when please. I have never had that happen nor do I know anyone who has. I did a lot of research on the subject when writing an article about extended warranties for Escapees Magazine and never once did I hear that story documented. On any subject, stories that "I heard about" really prove nothing and usually have little factual basis.

It was interesting to note however, that those who are most satisfied are usually the ones who bought the higher cost warranties.

take the $3500 put into an account and add to it each month

X2. Exactly my take on extended warranties... fund your own. Keep your money working for "you", but readily available if needed.

Even if you opt for an extended warranty it's still a smart idea to fund a "maintanence/upkeep account" on a monthly basis. It's a guarantee you WILL have regular upkeep costs when least expected.

How much to open with and how much you contribute each month largely depends on your rig. Ie., For some rigs tires might only run $150ea.. for others.. $300-$500ea. Naturally.. those with higher expected repair/upkeep costs should open with a larger initial "nest egg" and contribute more monthly.

Who does THAT?

We have had extended warranties since 2006 on two 5th wheels and used them many times. We have never had any of the above happen to us in regard to a claim

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of these extended warranties cover major structure failures such as a frame cracking or sidewall delamination? For those that have warranties from Good Sam or Wholesale Warranties. . . are you happy or disappointed with their service and why.

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

• 3 weeks later...

We have recently engaged in conversation with Wholesale Warranties about an extended 5 year warranty on our 2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA, which frankly, has been quite a lemon with way more than the standard "new model attrition." Warranty on our "Freya" just expired. Any thoughts about these extended warranties? Are they worth it or better just to take your chances. Wholesale Warranties wants around $3500 for 5 years. Any other companies we should be looking at?

Wholesale Warranties have a great reputation and good service. After much consideration I chose them. Have not had the need to use them but have the peace of mind that I can rely on them.

wf1g

When that has happened, share with us who and when please. I have never had that happen nor do I know anyone who has. I did a lot of research on the subject when writing an article about extended warranties for Escapees Magazine and never once did I hear that story documented. On any subject, stories that "I heard about" really prove nothing and usually have little factual basis.

It was interesting to note however, that those who are most satisfied are usually the ones who bought the higher cost warranties.

never heard of such a thing.

I believe that they are a broker of such contracts and not the underwriter, but if I were shopping for one, they would top my list of places to check.

I am in the process of purchasing a new RV and looking into extended warranties. I contacted Wholesale Warranty and they told me that they no longer broker several insurance companies. They now are in partnership with only one company and are promoting that company only.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info and sorry I did not reply earlier. The DH has had many health issues - just now coming up for air. We are comfortably funded so after reading several of the earlier posts, decided to forgo the warranty. Actually, DRV has been more responsive and helpful AFTER the warranty expired; go figure. We had to get a ton of things fixed while under warranty; massive inconvenience and of course out the $$ for tips, which we always gave the service folk. Attrition has slowed down to a crawl but we had to make many personally funded improvements to ensure issues did not happen again. Ron and Shelley Johnston

THOR and the Adventurers

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV ELITE Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart for Two - "Loki" (upgrading to 2016 or 2017 as soon as we can find one)

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Here's why I'm considering an extended warranty. We just purchased a 2004 Fleetwood Southwind with only 7000 miles. That's right - 7000! Basically the former owners would park it at the shore for the summer and drive back and forth on weekends. I know it has been maintained, but considering that it's been parked so long, and the likelihood of many systems having problems once we go on the road for months at a time, I figure a lot of $$$ for repairs in the first year or two.

Wholesalewarranties is offering me 3yrs/30,000miles for about $4300. Has a $200 deductible per incident, and the coverage seems quite comprehensive, including damage to covered items that is caused by failure of non-covered items.

That seems like a pretty reasonable price - about the cost of one refrigerator.

Any thoughts?

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

That seems like a pretty reasonable price - about the cost of one refrigerator.

Any thoughts?

There are always those who say it is never wise but to me it should be a business decision, just like any other. Consider what the harm to you will be if the worst should happen, like the failure of an engine or transmission. In a three year period it would be very possible to need replacement of more than one appliance since those probably have many hours of use even though the mileage is low. Do not look at this as something to save you money but only to protect you from risk of major loss, just as you would for buying insurance on your house. Extended warranties are actually insurance policies to protect you from major losses due to catastrophic failures of the RV. If you are not comfortable in taking those risks, it would be wise to buy that extended warranty, but if you always have enough ready cash to replace the engine, and soon after that a refrigerator or air conditioner and then not suffer financially, you probably should not buy the extended warranty. It is a matter of how deep your pockets are.

We have been taken to the cleaner by our extended warranty. I paid $6500 for mine when we bought our 05 Vectra. They have denied 5 major claims blaming something prior or maintenance done improperly, etc. Now we're trying to pay off over $12k in repairs. Tried to cancel the policy and at least get some money back (which it'd have to go toward the loan) to find out I'd only get $500 back since they claim they only received $2500 for the policy from the dealership. I got screwed 3 ways from Sunday!

We have been taken to the cleaner by our extended warranty. I paid $6500 for mine when we bought our 05 Vectra. They have denied 5 major claims blaming something prior or maintenance done improperly, etc. Now we're trying to pay off over $12k in repairs. Tried to cancel the policy and at least get some money back (which it'd have to go toward the loan) to find out I'd only get $500 back since they claim they only received $2500 for the policy from the dealership. I got screwed 3 ways from Sunday!

Sorry to hear of your problems. Why not provide the name of the dealership and the insurance company which screwed you so we can all be aware?

Archived