Help with vp211k and ota

A little background first before my question. I have a tailgater with the vp211k reciever. I have the coaxial plugged into my 5th wheel satellite connection. From there it runs to my main tv where I have it plugged into the reciever. I plug the hdmi into the main tv and the coaxial out on the reciever to my cable/ ota and back feed to my bedroom tv. This setup works fine.

Now to my question.

I would like to setup my system so that we could get ota to my main tv without having to unplug the wire running from the back of the dish reciever and then running it to the tv. Is there some type of switch setup or something I could use.

Please remember that I am not very smart when it comes to television electronics.

Thank you

See you on the road!

There should be an OTA connection on the back of the TV, likely the type you connect coax to with a screw-on connector. If you connect an OTA antenna there the most you would have to do to watch OTA would be to go to the menu setup on the TV and switch the input to antenna and run the channel search.

My coach has a switch box that lets me choose the input on front and bedroom TVs, so the sat box and the OTA antenna are connected to the switch box with output from the switch box to the front and bedroom TVs.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Thank you for the reply. Obviously not being tech savvy with tv I must have asked the question wrong. Let me try again.

I have the dish reciever back feeding through my ota/ cable connection to my bedroom tv. I would like to setup this line so that with perhaps another piece of coaxial and a switch that I could then use my ota/ cable to feed my main tv without having to unplug the coax from the dish reciever and plug it into the back of the tv. Basically I am wondering if I could set up a switch that I could quit feeding the ota cable from the dish reciever and allow the the cable that I would attach to my main tv to access the ota.

See you on the road!

You state that you have the coax plunged into the sat connection. Do you also have a cable connection outside? If so you should have two connectors inside behind the television, one for sat and one for cabe. If so just run a coax from the second connector to the tv coax connector. Change the input on the tv from HDMI to the coax connector and you should get your OTA signal. Remember to turn on the amplifier for then antenna. I have a 211K and run a coax out to my bedroom also but I call Dish and change my locals so I never use the antenna. Its much easier to just get my locals via my sat.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Thanks for the reply. Again I seemed to have not stated the question correctly. I have a satellite coax plug in and a cable plug on the outside of the trailer. My tailgater is plugged into the satellite plug in. Behind my main tv are the satellite plug in and the cable/ ota plug in. I have the satellite reciever plugged into the satellite plug in behind the tv. The hdmi cable out from the reciever then runs to the main tv. The coax out on the reciever then runs to the cable/ ota behind the main tv. This allows me to use the existing cable/ota setup to feed the bedroom tv. At the moment to recieve ota broadcasts I must pull the satellite reciever out unscrew the output coax from the reciever and then screw it to the main tv.

I am hoping there is a switch that I can purchase that will allow a cable signal to go either from my satellite reciever to the cable outlet on the wall or allow the cable outlet to bring in ota through the wall outlet.

It would make it a lot easier when stopping overnight to just get ota rather then having to setup the tailgater

See you on the road!

Thanks for the reply. Again I seemed to have not stated the question correctly. I have a satellite coax plug in and a cable plug on the outside of the trailer. My tailgater is plugged into the satellite plug in. Behind my main tv are the satellite plug in and the cable/ ota plug in. I have the satellite reciever plugged into the satellite plug in behind the tv. The hdmi cable out from the reciever then runs to the main tv. The coax out on the reciever then runs to the cable/ ota behind the main tv. This allows me to use the existing cable/ota setup to feed the bedroom tv. At the moment to recieve ota broadcasts I must pull the satellite reciever out unscrew the output coax from the reciever and then screw it to the main tv.

I am hoping there is a switch that I can purchase that will allow a cable signal to go either from my satellite reciever to the cable outlet on the wall or allow the cable outlet to bring in ota through the wall outlet.

It would make it a lot easier when stopping overnight to just get ota rather then having to setup the tailgater

In all your re-statements I fail to notice your OTA source. I believe those that already responded assumed there would be a discrete OTA coax that comes from either the Batwing or Jack antenna. I read (possibly poorly comprehended) you feed the receiver out to the bedroom set thus viewing the sat source in the bed room with the receiver back feeding vs an actual OTA/cable source. The satellite & cable inputs on the outside account for two F terminated coax lines at the TV you mentioned. There should be a third, possibly a female F connector in a wall plate with a switch to energize the antenna amplifier in the TV's vicinity. I am not clear that you even get an OTA signal. If no antenna present then what you are doing is it unless you can find where the bed room TV and main TV cables are connected together.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Yarome thanks for the help that a/b switch looks like it will work.

SCClockDr not sure what a f terminal is but I have a external ota Antenna that runs to a possible amplifier then from there it runs to the tvs in the 5th wheel. There is only a on/off button and what looks like a 12 volt cigarette lighter that I believe may be to turn on the possible amplifier. To feed the signal from the satellite reciever Befoom I shut off the amplifier then feed the signal through the cable that is normally used to send the ota signal to the tvs.

If I unplug the coaxial cable from the satellite reciever and blue that into the main tv I can then turn on the amplifier and by going into the tv settings I can get ota just fine. I was hoping to find a switch like the one Yarmoe came up with so I could choose either ota or satellite with out having to unplug the coaxial from the satellite when we only wanted to watch tv at a Walmart or watch for an hour before bed on a quick one night stop.

Thank you all for your help

See you on the road!

The A/B switch Yarome referenced plus two short coax jumpers will do what you want. Or, since you're feeding the sat programming to the TV with HDMI, you could also just add a two output splitter in place of the switch. Then all you would need to do to switch sources would be to change the TV mode just as you already do after moving the OTA connection.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Dutch_12075 thanks for the idea but I think I will go with the switch idea. Just because I am more familiar with a switch. And I would worry that a splitter may allow signal from the ota to feed to the satellite reciever. May not and even if it did may not hurt but I might worry any way.

Thanks to all for the help

See you on the road!

I've been using a tailgater for 5 years with very few problem's but DO NOT use a a/b switch on it, the most direct way is the best. The only thing I have is the connector at the back of the trailer and I replaced it once.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I was thinking about this a little more tonight. Actually... I don't think it's going to be as simple as that. It would do what you want it to do on the main TV, but it would kind of be a moot point because.. if you did that.. you're not going to be able to backfeed the signal from your receiver to the bedroom any more. In that case you would be running SAT to the main TV via HDMI, then the OTA can plug directly from the wall jack to the main TV because without the ability to backfeed the SAT signal to the bedroom a switch becomes pointless. I realize that's not what you're trying to do at all.

If you take the OTA from the wall and put it on one side of an A/B switch.. and output from your receiver to the other side of the switch.. all you've done is made it possible to run a second SAT signal -OR- OTA to you're main TV's coax connection... BUT.. there is no way for the SAT signal to cross back into the OTA plug. Does that make sense?

(A switch like that is either/or input to a single output, but it doesn't connect the two input sources.)

I think it would take a series of splitters and/or a switch.. or a cross-over switch, but I would have to think a lot harder to really figure that out. Each splitter or switch will degrade signal strength though.

I think what "I" would do is to run a new coax line between the two TV's respective plugs that you could plug the SAT output coax to and would run back to the bedroom for that TV's SAT input. By doing that.. you would have OTA -and- SAT available on both TV's with no switches or splitters involved. You would just change the source on each of the respective TV's.

I don't know how far or direct it is from the main TV's plug and the bedrooms, but if it's not too far, it shouldn't be difficult to run a second coax cable using a lead line that can be pulled through the wall along the same path as your existing coax cable.

My apologies for the previous bad info. I was only thinking about switching signals to a single output.. not about the "BIG" picture of what you are trying to accomplish in separate locations.

I've been using a tailgater for 5 years with very few problem's but DO NOT use a a/b switch on it, the most direct way is the best.

That's kind of true, but that's more relative from the cable from the tailgater to the receiver. Not so much on the outputs.

Archived