Ultimate Cargo/Living Trailer

bmzero

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brit,

Reminds me of the commercial where the young lady is in the bathroom talking into the mirror, convincing herself to ask her boss for a raise. Another lady comes out of the toilet washes her hands, turns to the young lady and says "just do it". So just do it!

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Ohio allows double and triple trailers on the turnpike I80/90 but only single trailers on most other roads, consequently they have trailer break down lots at the major exits for the truck companies to use. Back in the 80's Roadway and several other truck lines used a setup that allowed a single axle tractor to attach a single axle trailer dolly with 5th wheel to mate up with the truck frame and by sliding the 5th wheels forward the tractor would operate like a tandem axle truck. With a trailer on the dolly it could be unhooked from the truck, IIRC pintle hitch, the truck then hooked up another trailer and slid the 5th wheel back then hooked up the trailer on the dolly to the back of the tractor trailer combo and went on the turnpike. One of the somewhat common trailer suspensions in this part of the country, Mi. is a 9" spread axle for bridge loading laws. With that knowledge the possibility of a main trailer on a standard single 20K air ride axle at the rear should be able to be backed into and connected to a short trailer/extension and pinned on like a heavy haul trailer auxiliary axle. you could use a self steering 12k air ride/lift axle on the stacker section that would be locked straight ahead when being used as a separate trailer, air brake chambers are commonly used to actuate lock pins in extendable trailers and to lock the dolly/converters steering while backing multiple trailer combinations. You would probably want to build the front trailer with a stout frame like a flatbed has and add the box structure like a van trailer to keep the back end rigid to help support the stacker section

This may sound real weird....but I think you could "reverse" the back trailer. Make the rear trailer tongue retractable, and the design such that you backed them against each other and locked the two in place. Then both axles would be closer together in the "center". I think with proper axle placement, you could get real close to a normal "spread axle" stacker trailer design. the rear trailer would be a cantilever, with both both being a bridge truss frame with a heavy "guide pin and latch" point at both top and bottom. I think that would be much more "doable" than a splice area able to take the forces of the far apart axles, or to transfer all the weight to a rear axle set. It would remove the need for a huge heavy framing area in the middle bottom that will eat up floor height. It would also truly make the two halves "one trailer" when locked together.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Zero,

With the support you have from your wife..........the hardware is just a few details to hash out.....just a little less sleep.....

I used to be abused by a bunch of geezers from the skunk works and I was moaning about a prototype aircraft that was well on the way to killing me and grouchy-Bob said "kid, get a grip, ask your wife.....she is smarter than you think"......he said "one day the aero-geeks told me that the windsheald only 5 inches would be 600f at cruise speeds due to air friction.....I was moaning about my bad luck to my wife......she walked over and turned the kitchen oven on to broil and then said ok hot shot try the glass on the oven door" Well the windsheald was no a oven door but the concept of the oven construction did keep the pilot and the "navigator" from becoming Krispy-critters......

Likely in your military service you likely saw some pretty strange vehicle lash ups with some complex couplings but once in a while something simple get to see the light of day.

I had some time behind the iron curtain and the commiees had some pretty ugly but pretty functional rigs that strangely seem close to your concept..........maybe you might want to take gander at some of the stuff that the comrades have cobbled together.

Draw on.........(sleep is .........overrated)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I agree with Jeff C., a bridge truss or torsion box construction for the trailer would be lightweight but would probably need some sort of frame to allow for the large windows known as slideouts. Standard semi cargo trailers use the torsion box principal with only a lightweight adjustable frame to connect the suspension, the strength is in the top and bottom rails and the stressed skins used to make up the web between the beams, RV trailers use a lightweight structural frame to support the living quarters box above with it's large windows. My thoughts above were to use a heavier than normal RV frame but not as heavy as a flatbed trailer frame and then use some truss or torsion box construction in the sidewalls to help stiffen up the front trailer to support the toy box when it is attached to the LQ trailer. If the toy box was light weight truss or torsion box construction could it be attached to the front trailer and the axle lifted off of the ground and become a long overhang trailer like most RV units?

This may sound real weird....but I think you could "reverse" the back trailer.

Now, that's just weird enough to possibly work! I like that idea. I'm going to kick that around a little while.

My main concern (at this point) with that setup is having to disconnect the trailers to unload the car or RZR. I guess it could have loading doors on both ends, not ideal, but workable maybe.

As for the structure of the trailer, I have some ideas there as well. I expect the trailer to have a sort of spine in the ceiling that will provide the needed structure. I'm going to be asking a lot from the trailer frame, so it needs to be substantial.

Dolly, I have definitely seen some odd contraptions in the military. Some worked very well, some not so much in our usage. I'm sure I have drawn some inspiration from some of those vehicles over the years.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Submitted for consideration: Phoenix Craigslist This is probably the shortest commercial bodied trailer made, and might make a suitable rear trailer, assuming a second unit could be found with proper wheel placement. Tail(nose?) swing could be a bitch, though.

01414_iAN8M2hMYl6_600x450.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Submitted for consideration: Phoenix Craigslist This is probably the shortest commercial bodied trailer made, and might make a suitable rear trailer, assuming a second unit could be found with proper wheel placement. Tail(nose?) swing could be a bitch, though.

01414_iAN8M2hMYl6_600x450.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen one that small. I'm sure there's a unique business requirement that made this trailer a perfect solution. Cool find.

I would love to find something already built that would work for my needs, but I completely expect to build it all from the ground up. I don't think there's any other way to do this and it work out well.

Brit--

Ever given any thought to a truck conversion and trailer combo? The last time I was able to sit down and mess with my running "dream rig" design, I had kind of settled in on 65' OAL, with two vehicles roughly the same length--you could easily make it longer if you wanted to and keep the same concept. In doing so, you move the dead space for turning between the living quarters and the shop, which might also have the added benefit of letting you keep the welding/grinding/partying going late into the night while the rest of the gang is sound asleep. It also means that the length for the sleeper can instead be part of the living quarters, not just an on-the-go space for the kids (and they'd obviously have more space while under way).

Splitting it in the middle, of course, narrows the area you sweep through in most normal turns (i.e. normal left/right turns, not U-turns). Downside is you wouldn't be able to leave the living quarters behind as easily. Though (and I'm just thinking out loud), you could consider a cross between a B-train and a truck camper, where you could carry the living quarters on the truck frame, but plant legs (like a truck camper) and drive out from under it, then tow the trailer full of toys.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I like Dave's idea. My Truck Conversion is 36'. Pulling a 24' enclosed car trailer (32' ball to tailgate) puts me at 68'. It works great for us. I have no problem driving around in the truck alone when we all want to go shopping or eating or sightseeing. If we don't have a suitable car in the trailer (or we didn't bring the trailer). We just got back from a 2800 mile trip. My wife and I brought our neighbors and their 5 kids. It wasn't even too bad sleeping 9 (their kids are 1.5 to 12 years old so not that long).

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Not to hijack the latest Zero-concept but..........what the heck.

Our Dolly-the-paint-horse-hauler changes configuration a lot from one trip to the next. Some trips we have a 12 ft ugly wood flat bed and our tt 30 ft toybox with the Removable Dolly-module in the last 3 ft of the garage. We haul hay and tools and often a Honda quad in the flatbed and a 330 gal water tote on the flatbed.

In the last year or so we tend to remove the flatbed and install a 20 ft Morgan cargo box (ex-Ryder box) and life is very good with the cargo box.....most of the time. Our favorite haul setup is to load the major cargo (water, hay, tack, tools, Barbie, Honda Quad and junk) in the front 10 ft of the box and then load the Suzuki Samaria in the last 10 ft of the box and then close the curb side door and close the back garage door and we are ready to hitch up. Once in a while we load a full size Blazer in and put the he Honda in the back of the Blazer. With the Blazer onboard we can unhitched the toybox and then unload a the Blazer and then hitch the Blazer to the toyhauler for rough road outback travel........whew....

Now horse back trail riders tend to camp a bit rustic so our rig(s) tend to be pretty upscale at times but we actually have THREE bedrooms once the toads are unloaded......one is the toyhauler, the second is the 20 ft cargo box , and the third is the Freightshaker condo........we actually have over 50 ft of floor length........

Obviously our rigs are not for most folks but it is pretty flexible.........

Just another set of concepts.....

Drive on........(let's see......where did we load Dolly today)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Fact of the matter is, yes lots of people with HDTs are full time and need or want a large 5th wheel.

But I see a lot of people switch from trailer to a ClassA DP

Or truck conversion. But I don't know anyone that went from class A to a trailer.

If you did switch I'd love to hear why?

We went from a Class A to a 5th wheel.

We were planning on going full time with our 3 dogs and 3 children(at the time 8,11 and 13) And wanted them to all have their own space. In our 34' Monaco class A they all had a place to sleep, but during the day it was living space. Doing that conversion, and stowing all their junk worked find for a weekend or a few week trip. But we knew it was not going to work at all for living.

We looked at other Class A, Class C and super C units, while we liked the idea of the bunk house floor plans we have 3 not just 2 children. So one would still be left out in the living area. We than started looking at 5th wheels. And almost instantly decided that was the way to go. A toy hauler actually. The two boys could have the garage beds, with room to add in dressers. Our daughter could have the loft. And we would still have room for the dogs and bikes and other such things. It took us a bit more than 6 months of looking at Class A, C and 5th wheel trailers to decide on the Road Warrior 420. And the trailer with an HDT was under $100,000. We were looking at more to get a half decent Class A to fit most of us.

Now that plans have changed(no longer going full time as of now) if we were not going to go full time. I would have loved to have kept our Monaco. I had just finished a residential fridge conversion. Installation of the Magnum 3,000 watt hybrid inverter. Swapped out the old 7500 watt diesel kubota genset with sliding tray and 2 2000 hondas. 10kw of batteries and 2.5kw of solar.

We are now looking into the future, we will let the kids finish school 6-7 years. than hit the road, that will allow me to finish fulfilling my retirement savings plan, pay off all of our stuff. and perhaps we can get a different trailer. We no longer are planing to be able to sleep 5+ people. Just the DW and I, some pups and toys. We will put a smart on the truck, and find a toy hauler that will fit a small side by side and two motorcycles. Should be able to downsize from a 45' trailer to a 36-38' trailer when we do that.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Thanks Rondo and Imurphy907

Those are good points. I will say when it was my wife our dog and 2 kids plus friends, having the bunk bed 5th was nice. So is our 37ft toy hauler. But now we have just my wife the dog and sometimes 1or2 grand kids and no help for set up. I'm thinking truck conversion will be easier.

Dolly,

Just don't forget to shovel out the Dolly trolley before unrolling your sleeping bag. If not, the pillow you find in the middle of the night might be a little squishy.

Hay G.

Right on ......sounds like you been to o the farm....watch where you step.

Actually, the Dolly module has a fully enclosed fiberglass removable tub floor filled with cedar and pine chips so when we stop for the he evening Dolly trots down back ramp and we slide the tub floor down the ramp and wash the ramp off with our 330 gal tote water pressure washer.

If we are stay longer than over nite we will unlatch the two partition wall panels and then no one knows a horse was ever in our living room......

Actually Dolly is a very well mannered family member .......Koi-the-CAT scares me because he is a......CAT, do I need say more...

Most RV parks do not allow Dolly but it's no problem because we mostly boondock or stay at fairgrounds that often are nicer than many RV parks, without live stock you are not allowed to camp at fairground so actually Dolly is the ticket to many nice camping locations.

Drive on.........(watch where you.....step)

• 1 month later...

After seeing the lounge area in the Vintage RV Hauler I posted, that gave me some ideas for my rear garage. I'm considering ways that I could have my garage in the basement and allow the ceiling of the garage to slide down when nothing is in the garage to allow more headroom in the back section. Too many ideas. Not enough time.

I'm still leaning toward a two-trailer system. The garage trailer, once unloaded, could be used for my office and/or the kids' room, if I am able to do the above mentioned collapsing garage ceiling.

Archived