Overkill? Never!

JPL

We left the Campark CG in Williamsburg Va (757-565-2101) on the 8th heading for the Bethpage CG(804-758-4349) in Urbanna Va (50 miles away). They have a great CG with a water park that kids love. We had our 11 year grandson with us. He is the only reason we were going over there. On the way I'm on a 2 lane road and had a car in the other lane. So i just moved over a little. then the 5er went off the pavement. 10 to 15 seconds I've got it back on hard surface. The truck never went off the road. I thought everything was ok. Then my cell rings and Shirley (DW) tells me the 5er is listing to the right. So the first time I can I pull over I do. I crawled under the frame and see all 3 spring hangers bent. The springs were all out of shape but not broken. The tires aren't hitting the frame. Shirley tells me the trailer rocked back and forth so bad she thought it was going to roll over. It was throwing mud so bad it got on her car. The left rear jack really dug in and was throwing that mud up under the frame. I never felt that anything really bad was going on. The Truck was in control all of the time. If I was towing with a pickup I am not sure what the outcome would have been. So I get back on the road. After several miles I stopped again and check tire temps.and bearing temps. Both sides within 8 degrees. We were about 20 miles away when it happened. We went on but never got over 45. When we got there I was really worried abut the leveling jacks being able to get her to level out. It did.When we went inside it looked like a bomb had gone off in the den. Broken glass and stuff everywhere. But still it could have been worse. We had a great weekend and the grandson loved the whole weekend. Even the excitement. If you are ever out here visit Bethpage. A little on the high side but a great place to visit. All sorts of things to do at the CG but not much in town except some antique shops. We left on Monday and headed home (90 miles) stopping to ck temps several times. No problems running at 50. Took pictures and go to 3 places on Tuesday. On wen I took it to East Coast Trailer Sales (757-465-2200). They sale and service Car Hauler Trailers and any kind of truck you can afford to tow with. Their shop has 12 bays 80 ' long with big doors at each end. They also have a CNC polishing machine. They blocked it up ,leveled it and started checking it out. Everything but the axles will get new parts that were ordered from Lippert. On fri got the word from the insurance people that the first phase ck for $3700 was being sent. Hope to have it back by next week ready to do the 2nd phase. When the guy was finished doing the quote the insurance adjuster (Good Sams and they have been great) and I were standing back looking at the right side and he noticed a crack from the rear corner of the slide up to the roof, There was also a big dimple on the froward corner up to the roof. That is the only slide on the right side. I talked to the RV dealer we got the 5er from. He said they wouldn't want to do the repair. He said Factory. I called them but I have to send pictures. Will try to get some more that really show the wall damage. On the inside wall that separates the den from the kitchen there is a broken stud sticking thru the wall. It looks like a bone sticking thru the skin. The floor in the kitchen feels funny. But the whole thing worries me IRT what have I done? and can it be fixed "good as new"? Only time will tell. But it could have been worse. Just another mountain to climb. And I didn't even have a drink the whole weekend. Hope this post wasn't to long. Is my Volvo overkill? Never!! Pat

The Old Sailor

I am sure your post was interesting, but, with no paragraphs to break up the narrative, I gave up after a few lines.

Jim

Seriously?

Pat...glad to hear you and your grandson are OK. I've been through that area a hundred times but have never had the need to stop. Sounds like I missed an opportunity. Good luck with the repairs.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I am sure your post was interesting, but, with no paragraphs to break up the narrative, I gave up after a few lines.

Jim

I didn't even give him that much . I saw that and first thought was that it was spam . But , I gave the OP the benefit and just went to the next topic . I figured maybe he'd had a bit too much caffeine or ... ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Jim

Pat,

I have dropped off the side of the road in lake country before several times, but no damage done. Glad you are all safe.

BTW, Anyone who has trouble with this narrative is either cross eyed, or has ADD, but of course, I flunked out of school. (of course, or of coarse?)

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

BTW, Anyone who has trouble with this narrative is either cross eyed, or has ADD, but of course, I flunked out of school. (of course, or of coarse?)

Neither. I read part of it, skimmed the rest, and don't know what the points are, exactly. BIggest takeaway I see is that the trailer is not to be ignored.

Regardless, it really could benefit from bridging the gap between "all in one paragraph" and the mile-long, inch-wide posts from Dolly's keeper(s).

That is a consequence of pulling a small trailer with a oversized HDT. You can destroy your trailer and not even know it. With my Chevy dually, I am a lot more cautious and slow down immediately if I have to make any evasive maneuvers. Over confidence can be expensive in the end.

As a kid on the farm, we once hooked up a 8' disc behind our Case 930, 90 hp tractor which pretty much destroyed the disc in one pass around the field, that disc was bouncing around like a rag doll. Whereas our smaller Farmall M had pulled with the same disc as a matched outfit for years and was forced to slow down when the pulling got tough. It was a clear case of too much power for that disc to handle. I might add, the old man was not happy with us.

Greg

I would rather have my rig destroyed than to have it push me across a road and into oncoming traffic by not being able to maintain control.

Yikes.... I've had trailers sling across the road from dropping off like that. With a regular dually it can get interestring quick. On a narrow no shoulder road on the way to a boat ramp, the trailer tires dropped off the outside. I slowed and moved towards the centerline. When the trailer tires came back on the asphalt, it jumped half the lane across. And this was at 35mph. It moved the back of the truck sideways enough to completely capture my attention...

Did the adjuster open up the bottom to see if there was any frame damage above the axles? Cross members bent or have cracked welds?

Before you give up reading a post that might have info you need, expand your screen so the font is larger and fewer words are on the page. Works on phones, tablets, most touch screen laptops, etc...

Before you declare a post to be SPAM, see what the post count is for the OP, over 1 or 2 posts, it's generally not spam....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My brother had a new travel trailer totaled by hitting a pothole in Ky. It bent the frame. He bought it back and repaired the frame hisself and it worked good as new. No loss die to the repair when he sold it.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

That is a consequence of pulling a small trailer with a oversized HDT. You can destroy your trailer and not even know it. With my Chevy dually, I am a lot more cautious and slow down immediately if I have to make any evasive maneuvers. Over confidence can be expensive in the end.

Greg

You are in part correct, but to me it is more important to have the HDT control the trailer rather than the trailer control the tow vehicle. The main reason we went to a HDT was safety. Our dually was pushed across two lanes of traffic and into the median by our "smaller trailer" (11K#) after avoiding a collision with a car coming down an entrance ramp. The frame was racked on that trailer from the situation and we disposed of it.

We now have a 15.5K# trailer that is, by many standards, still "smaller". I have pulled it with our GMC dually and never felt safe or in control of the trailer. With the HDT I do feel in control. If I had been pulling the smaller trailer with a HDT I doubt that it would have experienced frame damage.

The concept of "over kill" from pick-up owners that see a HDT towing a RV trailer will always be there. When I am told our HDT is over kill I generally smile and reply, "I like over kill" rather than berate the PU owner for his choice of vehicle.

Pat, sorry to hear about the damage to your trailer. Good thing the insurance company covered the damage. Very glad you were not hurt from a more serious accident and had the HDT up front when all of this happened.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Pat

Glad everything worked out and everyone is safe.

As far as the grammar police go.....I don't think they would appreciate my grammar if I typed what is on my mind right now.

Self righteousness is always a bad thing

Mike

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

To all: I didn't know that there was a right way or a wrong way to post. I thought that you posted the info that you had in a readable manner.

To jblscopper For you I will keep my post to 2 Words.

For Everyone else I just wanted people to learn from my unintetional turn of events. You have to keep that right side under control and on the pavement! I've been towing 5er's for 13 years. 5 years with the Volvo. This 2015 43' Open Range Mesa Ridge is the biggest yet. Never had a problem before but I will learn from this issue. From my wrong way post I hope everyone can just be more aware. They ordered the parts yesterday and expect them a week from fri. There is definitively structural damage and we won't know the extent until we get it back on wheels so it can be checked out. I hope this post doesn't cause anymore negative replies. Pat

The Old Sailor

Neither. I read part of it, skimmed the rest, and don't know what the points are, exactly. BIggest takeaway I see is that the trailer is not to be ignored.

Regardless, it really could benefit from bridging the gap between "all in one paragraph" and the mile-long, inch-wide posts from Dolly's keeper(s).

Shucks, Peety,

Thanks 4 tha Komplement..........only hope that the wife don't get jellious of tha hicky from your post.........

Shucks when I type with both thumbs tha .......................................happen when I take a break and my little pinky rests on the dot-key .........

Regarding driving / towing too close to the ditch...........a HDT can hit hard when it rolls into the ditch......as I kid I rode a 54 KW ditch and rolled over and it aint fun at all..........don't get too close to the edge.....

Drive on.............(don't get sore thumbs........typ'n..........................................................)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I am so glad that some folks seem to be able to be light hearted in the face intolerance.

It is pretty easy to pick put the gentlemen (or gentle ladies) of this group.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 1 month later...

jblscooper

Peety Your 2 words "It's Totaled"

All After 7 weeks w/o the 5er I found out today it has been totaled. The entire right wall had to be replaced, the frame was bent and longitudinal beams were bent, interior wall were separated,doors were broke, the floor had to be replaced, the frame the pin was welded to had problems, and the estimate of work was 45k plus the 4k to put it back on springs. Now I guess we start the money part of the insurance claim. I have a new one in mind but the DW and I aren't on the same page. More to follow on "Insurance Questions" post. Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived