Dual Sighting in Las Vegas

VegasFlyer

I think the problem with most of my friends is that they don't take traveling serious enough to make the jump. They are also too busy making the progression from small to large that they cant see how much easier and cheaper it would be to skip the middle steps.

Thanks Crazy!

It truly is crazy how reasonable you can get a HDT lately... I can buy 2 for the price of a new dualie and still out tow it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real cost savings is in the life expectancy of the two different truck classes. If we had purchased a new pickup instead of the HDT when we did, I bet a discussion of the next truck would already be a topic of conversation around here on a regular basis. Instead we discuss the next upgrade/enhancement for the HDT knowing it will be much cheaper than what it would cost us had we purchased a pickup back then.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

You guys are becoming quite the convoy.

I know you mentioned your not much in the way of Rally people, but you should really consider the West Coast Rally next June in Idaho. We keep it very informal and have a lot of fun with the group. It's good to swap experiences and learn from others successes (and sometimes failures). The WCR is much smaller than the East Coast and National rallies right now and that has some benefits for those who aren't "Rally" people.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Chad:
Thanks for the invite.
I'm sure if we were all retired and had nothing but time... we would check it out. But since vacation time is so limited we spend all our vacations off the beaten path enjoying some offroad adventures. Not to say down the road that wont change... but for now I dont think we will make it.

Seve

Chad:

Thanks for the invite.

I'm sure if we were all retired and had nothing but time... we would check it out. But since vacation time is so limited we spend all our vacations off the beaten path enjoying some offroad adventures. Not to say down the road that wont change... but for now I dont think we will make it.

Several of us at the WCR are still working stiffs (including MrSeas and I who are coordinating it). This is partly why it is a long weekend get together rather than a week long rally right now. CrazyCooter and RickS were planning an atv off road adventure in the area before the rally this last June, but due to some unforeseen circumstances it didn't pan out. Just throwing it out there, but I also understand time off limitations from that four letter word, "work." I can't wait for retirement. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Updates on the latest truck in our group.

Paint work started and will be finished before Labor day weekend. Body damage, chips, dents, and upgrades. Bed will be started in a few weeks.

He plans to keep the stock 5th wheel plate and add a hitch for his Voltage toy box. That way he can utilize the truck for more than just his hauler.

193NsQxm.jpg

9Uduxrbm.jpg

3qj7hcQm.jpg

KQR3VMAm.jpg

HNFTH6Um.jpg

I'd love to be able to pull my truck in a shop and say "Let's get sanding" ! Our hood has several old repairs that need some help, 1 sleeper side panel has been repainted, and other chips and dings. With a decent crew, it wouldn't take long to do the body work and lay a nice base down....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim:
It helps when you own a body shop. ;) And have friends in the paint industry... Its a hell of a lot of work to take one of these apart and do a color change! The prior repairs are whats scary as you have no idea if they were done correctly or not. (most of the time they're not)

A& J If you have a decent back yard you can paint your truck. Pick the weather build a little shelter and paint. If its panels just paint w/o a shelter. We did it in my back yard. You just have to have everything ready. Good Luck.

atv Idiot looks like your friend will have a great looking truck!! Pat

The Old Sailor

Thanks Pat!

Plans are to two-tone the lower portion of the truck with a low gloss grey to match the trailer and then add/duplicate the graphics from the trailer onto the truck. The bed (once built) will be painted the same low gloss grey with I believe a bed liner coating on the top surfaces.

I can continue to post pics of the build here if everyone wants...

Since this is already off topic a little..... :D

Pat- I no longer have a back yard or shop. That's the one downside of full timing..... campgrounds frown on heavy body work/ repairs.

ATV- I worked in the high-performance offshore boat world for 16 years and then went in business with a partner. We had a custom boat/yacht business here on the east coast for 10 yrs. Shop was 150 x 200, 14' roll up doors, and an area 50 x50 that we could curtain off and turn into a down draft paint booth. I've laid down enough paint- Imron, PPG Concept, Awlgrip, Alexseal, and most cheap single stage stuff, to paint a road from here to Alaska. (and survived without too much nervous system damage :ph34r: )

I repaired the lower panels and front bumper/valance on the truck borrowing some supplies from a small shop that owed me a favour, but didn't have time to do a paint job so I did a DupliColor wrap on the bottom area. Actually looks good 2 tone.

The truck is factory Volvo Red with flames on the front. The truck has been in the rv hauler world for some time and I would hate to delete the flames completely. But a light fluorescent lime green that has a lot of pearl in it, with silver ghost flames in the same pattern as original is what I want to do..... ;) if I had either time and a place, or money to say here's what I want.

If I had known the path we would take on this full time adventure, I would have bought a truck and modified it before we sold the business.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Not sure if anyone is interested in an update to #4

Last update was 8 days ago. Since then the cab and nose is painted. Bottom skirts are going low gloss grey to match the lower portion of his trailer. Plates being made to mount 5th wheel hitch. Truck will be finished this week and will be on its maiden voyage friday before Labor day

oZkla9bm.jpg

usxS4LEm.jpg

TcGJN18m.jpg

jT0oajrm.jpg

T6PxjX3m.jpg

jOZMWb2m.jpg

TD5VXGnm.jpg

Archived