Daily E-Mail ADs

gypsydan

I greatly enjoy this forum, but am becoming increasingly frustrated with all the spam ads I receive from the notification service when a new subject is posted. Since the search feature does not seem to work, I don't know if this subject has been discussed before.

The question: what is being done to try and eliminate phony users from getting access to this website, OR more importantly, being able to block their ADs before the ADs get to the notification server? Has anyone looked at something like Spam Assassin?

Thanks for any help which can be provided to the forum users.

Dan

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

The reason that you get them is that you have opted to be notified of each post. We remove them and block the source as quickly as wee are able but your notice is sent at the same instant that the perpetrator makes the post so there is nothing we can do to stop this. You can prevent it by opting out of immediate notification of each new post and using the "New Content" tab at the top of the page instead.

I think that you may find it helpful to read the thread on this subject which was run in the "About the Discussion Forums" section of the forum.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Worked for me a couple years ago. Now, I only monitor the Vets forum and do new content for the rest. Never get SPAM

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

The admins recently made some changes to the new user signup process that has cut the spammer entries by 80-90% but some still sneak in.

Many spammers don't even bother to post anything, they just leave their trash in the profile, most do one spam but a few will post several while the rare idiot begging to get caught will do a dozen or more.

There is only one thing that will stop the spammers and that is if they do not make any money off the Escapees site. All the blocking in the world won't keep them off, and tightening it too much can block real users.

The best thing a forum user can do is to hit the report button and just type spam on the report.

That is all you need to do and it seems to help get the spam caught sooner, the spam zappers (weekend moderators) catch what we see but if we aren't on then the report will hopefully be seen by the admins and dealt with. They aren't 24x7 either but do seem to get a lot of the late night stuff gone quickly.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Turn off the notification & just set up to see New Content when you visit forum

Barb

Thanks. Barb. Was able to change notifications, but was unable to see where I would set the login to auto open New Content.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

On my forum (about bicycles) I quite using the "capchas" and went to a question only cyclists would know. The first one was "In order to make your bicycle go you must push down on the ....." and this one lasted for years with no spammers figuring it out. Then one did and I had to change it to another question. I'm not sure that a question could be posed that all prospective RVers would know; after all, almost every American has either ridden bicycles or at least knows about them. Not so much on RVs. But if it continues someone might be able to come up with something.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived