PreBuy Inspection Service Recommendations

chooseopen

Hi All,

I have zoned in on a truck that I am interested in. As a next step, I would like to hire an inspection service. Unfortunately, the ones on the Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide don't seem to be working out for me...

National Truck Protection & Inspection Co. Inc. - Submitted an inquiry. Waiting to hear back.
VIP Inspection Services - Out of business?
Truck Remarketing Services Inc. - Quoted me $450 but can't get to me for 5-7 days.
Any other services out there that I should try contacting?
EDIT: I also found an advert for National Inspection Services on TruckertoTrucker.com. I submitted an inquiry to them and am waiting to hear back.

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

I used Truck Remarketing when I was looking and was pleased.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We just bought a converted 780 from an escapees member. I worked with the seller to get the truck to a local garage and I gave them a list of things to check. They charged me 4 hours labor (a little over $400) and gave me a report on the things that needed attention. They found 2 important things (loose oil pan bolts and a driveshaft carrier bearing that was worn) that we were able to have fixed before the purchase.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

I used Truck Remarketing when I was looking and was pleased.

x2. The buying process is not cheap. Expect to spend towards a grand for inspection, dyno, VIS, etc. Still may end up with no truck but better to not get burned.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

I also used Truck Remarketing. I put a deposit down on the truck to hold it till they could do their inspection. I figured better to lose my deposit than buy a junker. I set aside enough money to hold and inspect 4-5 trucks. I figured $5000 for inspections beat $5000 in repairs.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Big5er has the right attitude. (I'm surprised I'm saying that - Phil must be drinking a lot of Dr. Pepper these days...:) )

The following are general statements for future buyers - not directed at the OP.

Expect to spend money on inspections. If you feel that is wasted money then that is an indicator you are not a good candidate for an HDT. Because you WILL HAVE ISSUES with the truck. The purpose of the inspection is to identify anything obvious so you can properly plan. But even so, YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES with the truck. Plan on it. Save for it. Have at least an $8K reserve JUST for repairs. Not improvements. Consider preemptive maintenance on known failure points.

Have the right attitude - like our model citizen Phil - and you will do well with the truck. (good morning, Phil ;) )

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

LMAO...Good morning Jack. I don't think I've ever been called a "model citizen" in my life. I think I might blush. :D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

. . . or maybe planning a trip through Texas?

Jack is already in Texas. He snuck by Phil about a month ago -- must have been his day off.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived