What Satellite to buy

I guess we are buying a new portable satellite. Called a couple of Rv Parts dealers in Yuma and their prices seem really high plus I don't know what to get. We had the Vuqube by King. I was told it was junk. So looking at Winguard. Do not want to mount on MH. MIGHT have to change out box from dish and not sure how to do that. We have a VIP 722k dvr. Really could use some help. I have read some of the stuff about satellites on here and just confuses me more.

Lyn and Ed

2004 Phaeton

2006 Jeep Liberty

Polaris Ranger

http://EdandLynSojourning.blogspot.com

If it were me looking for an automatic portable dish, I'd get the Winegard Pathway X2: http://www.winegard.com/pathway/pathway-x2

The website says that it uses the "ViP series" receivers, so it *should* work with your 722k. (I assume, since you're already Dish customers and have a dome, you know that, with a dome, you can't record one channel while watching another unless both channels are on the satellite.)

One nice thing about the X2 is that it will receive both Western Arc satellites and Eastern Arc satellites...handy if you travel the country.

ON EDIT: Listening to the video, https://vimeo.com/102937940, it says the X2 is "compatible with all ViP series receivers."

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Your dual-tuner 722 won't be fully functional with any automatic portable -- only an open-faced tripod like a 1000.2 or a rooftop Winegard Travler will actually allow you to use both of your 722's tuners.

That said, some folks have used a Winegard G2 with a 722 as shown below. However, a G2 is Western Arc (sats 110, 119, 129) only:

winegard-g2_722-receiver.jpg

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Yeah I know because it wasn't with the Vuqube. We use to have the open one on the roof and it's nice until you have to park under trees. So husband doesn't want to put another one up there. We have decided to buy another portable on the ground. Check the link that LindaH put on and its offering a receiver with the satellite for only 50 more so I guess we will try it. Hope it works. Thank you both for replying.

Lyn and Ed

2004 Phaeton

2006 Jeep Liberty

Polaris Ranger

The video is incorrect. The X2 will only work with the VIP "Solo" receivers which have the mobile software loaded on them. These include the VIP211, VIP211K, VIP211Z, and VIP411. It won't work with the VIP722. So, if you do go with the X2, which I recommend, you'll need to get a VIP211 series receiver. DISH will furnish you one on lease with a two year contract. There is no advantage to buying one, unless you want to turn the service off and on periodically.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Thanks for the advice. Winegard offered a receiver with the x2 for $50 more so I went ahead and ordered it to be on the safe side. Now it will just be a matter of setting it up when it gets here. I have another question. Our receiver has a dvr. I don't think this one has one. Is that something you can buy and hook up separately? Thanks.

Lyn and Ed

2004 Phaeton

2006 Jeep Liberty

Polaris Ranger

The receiver you'll get is in the VIP211 series, probably either a 211Z or a Wally, and will accept an external USB hard drive to add DVR capabilities for a one-time $40 fee. The receiver only has one tuner though, unless it has the optional OTA adapter, so you'll only be able to watch or record one channel at a time. You can however, watch a recorded program while recording another program. The OTA adapter expands those options...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If you like your 722 you'll need a regular dish set up like you would see on a house. That said you can mount one on the roof of the RV (which you said you didn't want to) or you can get a kit and set it up as you move from location to location. They are fairly simple to setup once you get the groove of it. The benefit of this style is they are very inexpensive and can be setup away from the trees.

Here's a link for one on Amazon for example;

https://www.amazon.com/Dish-Network-1000-2-Satellite-Portable/dp/B00U47LA6W/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1485868448&sr=1-2&keywords=dish+network+satellite+dish

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

If you opt for the tripod mounted 1000.2 dish, I suggest also buying an eastern arc LNB for it. Having arc choice greatly expands your aiming options on treed sites, as well as letting you receive the eastern arc only locals in some locations.

Dutch

The receiver you'll get is in the VIP211 series, probably either a 211Z or a Wally, and will accept an external USB hard drive to add DVR capabilities for a one-time $40 fee. The receiver only has one tuner though, unless it has the optional OTA adapter, so you'll only be able to watch or record one channel at a time. You can however, watch a recorded program while recording another program. The OTA adapter expands those options...

We bought a Pathfinder x2 with a 711z receiver. Dish says I can get an external hard drive to add to it but they gave me all these things it needs to be. It has to be no more than 2TB, compatable with 2.0 USB, single hard dish drive, and have it's own power cord. I can't find this anywhere. Do you have any suggestions on where to get one. Above you mentioned an OTA adapter but what is that. We know we can't record and watch another program and we are ok with that. We just want to be able to record. Thanks.

Lyn and Ed

2004 Phaeton

2006 Jeep Liberty

Polaris Ranger

I used a Western Digital 2TB My Book USB hard drive with our 211K. It has a separate power supply, and I have read of others that successfully used drives without a separate power supply, but I don't know which ones. The Dish OTA (Over The Air) single tuner USB adapter for the VIP/Wally and Hopper receivers has been sold out for several months now, but there is a new dual tuner version that's just starting to make it's way to the dealers. When plugged into the USB port on the receiver, it enables the reception of digital OTA stations within range. The usual channel scan setup, etc, are added to the menu system when the adapted is plugged in. The new dual tuner will currently only work with one tuner, but updated software is expected sometime in May.

Dutch

For three years we have been using the VIP722K receiver with the Winegard Carryout G2. No problems. You do have to supply a 12 volt cig. outlet to power the G2, I just added one in the same compartment as my sat hookup. Bought the 722 on e-bay used, made sure there were no charges to the receiver first. We change service locations often, sometimes three or four times a month, usually no problems. As others have mentioned we use the dish chat. Cut and paste a blurb from word, fill in local address and zip, and make sure only change service address not billing. The dish rep may tell you that the 722 will not work, but it will. I record shows all the time with the DVR, with only one TV I have to force the DVR to record what I want on #1. It's not hard only a extra step. This has worked everywhere from San Diego to Oroville (in Washington State) to Rockport Texas, up to Chicago, and everywhere in between.

Archived