Moab, Arches and Canyonlands

DuneElliot

Starting my full-time RVing adventure next year and heading to southern Utah mid-late September/October to stay around St. George/Hurricane for the winter. I am not under any time constraints although will need to find work while there. I will be spending a lot of time hiking the area (Bryce and Zion etc). Hoping to find a property caretaking parking spot and any other job that pays the bills.

My question is whether Arches and Canyonlands would be better to visit on my way down in September/October or on my way back north in May/June? Which time has the best weather, water supplies (for backpacking), less crowded etc?

Thanks

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

We were in Arches several years ago in the fall. Found out that 1/2 the state has school off one week and the other 1/2 state has school off the next week. Check the school schedule and then work around that.

Make sure you go to Dead Horse State park also, especially at sunset.

June and September will be extremely hot for hiking. Even May in Moab is hot. October would be best. I'm not sure what you mean by water supplies. There are places to fill your RV with water. If you mean finding water while backpacking....not likely unless you're along the Colorado River and have a good filter. :)

Staying the winter around St. George will be cold so be prepared.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Yes, I was referring to finding water while backpacking. Up in the mountains snow melt provides plenty of water, that's why I was wondering if spring was better.

Looking at the temperature averages and lows around the St George area looks warm compared to what I'm used during Wyoming winters when we're lucky to see highs on the low side of freezing a couple of times a season.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

While you can hike in the La Sal and Adobo mountains near Moab that is just mountain hiking that you can find almost anywhere.

The fun hiking in Arches/Canyonland is desert hiking through all the red rock, sandstone formations. You carry all your water with you.

October is better than September. September is still pretty warm. Fall weather is usually much better than spring. Usually bright sunny skies, warm afternoon and cool to chilly nights and mornings.

Since you will be in St. George there is fantastic winter hiking in Zion NP and the surrounding area. Just watch the weather so you don't get caught in a winter storm. Much of the time in Zion, the Dec, Jan, Feb days are bright and sunny with temps into the 50's, sometimes 60's, and nights around freezing. Colder to much colder if you get into the mountains at 7000-8000 feet. Zion NP valley, at the visitor center is about 4000', so it stays pretty comfortable most of the winter. Winter storms will cause a few days of nasty weather though.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

While you can hike in the La Sal and Adobo mountains near Moab that is just mountain hiking that you can find almost anywhere.

The fun hiking in Arches/Canyonland is desert hiking through all the red rock, sandstone formations. You carry all your water with you.

October is better than September. September is still pretty warm. Fall weather is usually much better than spring. Usually bright sunny skies, warm afternoon and cool to chilly nights and mornings.

Since you will be in St. George there is fantastic winter hiking in Zion NP and the surrounding area. Just watch the weather so you don't get caught in a winter storm. Much of the time in Zion, the Dec, Jan, Feb days are bright and sunny with temps into the 50's, sometimes 60's, and nights around freezing. Colder to much colder if you get into the mountains at 7000-8000 feet. Zion NP valley, at the visitor center is about 4000', so it stays pretty comfortable most of the winter. Winter storms will cause a few days of nasty weather though.

Thank you so much. I will probably be leaving Wyoming mid-late September and take a week to travel south which should put me around Arches/Canyonlands around the last week of September/first week of October. Of course, departure plans can change.

This is really good info for me, and since I am used to hiking in Wyoming and Colorado, when temps in the summer in the mountains can get below freezing overnight on occasion, the weather and temperatures you mention are about perfect. I have the right kind of gear for it.

The four-five NPs in southern Utah have been a big thing on my bucket list for years so I am very excited. Now just to find a place to park and work when I get there.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

For detailed history weather for most anywhere in the USA & Canda, Weather Underground has a great history calendar feature which shows the actual temps and rain/snow for every day of each month. Here is link to an example of Feb 2015 weather for the Zion NP area.

What I really like about this calendar is it shows the actual history temps for every day instead of some sort of average. Also with just a click or two of your mouse you can show any month and any year going back quite a few years.

By looking at the example I gave above there were only 10 days of highs in 50's, with the other 18 days in 60's & 70's. Only 4 days had any snow or rain. Granted this is only one month of one year, but you can easily check other years and months.

This give lots and lots of opportunities for great hiking or other outdoor activities.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived