HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

I drove from Raccoon Valley SKP Park in TN to MorRyde in Elkhart Indiana yesterday. It was a long drive but fortunately uneventful. [snip] I have enough headaches with carbon monoxide to add to them.

Jim

Glad you made it in safely! You have certainly started off your full-time adventure with lots of excitement!

Hope to see you down the road!

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Thursday (2014-05-08) morning, we left Grand Haven, Mi, and arrived, mid-afternoon, in St. Ignace, Mi, at the KOA Campground. It was cold and very gusty winds--I think the average was about 26 mph, gusting to 35 mph. I think, also, that, just like in Grand Haven, we are the first travelers to arrive in the campground; although, in Grand Haven there were seasonal and annual residents.

Yesterday morning, with cold, foggy, and light rainy conditions, Janet and I took the high-speed ferry to Mackinac Island. Along the docks, the shops are very touristy, selling trinkets and apparel emblazoned with "Mackinac Island" and the like. But, our first stop was to the Joanne's Fudge shop for hot beverages to warm us--Janet had a Turtle Mocha, I had a hot chocolate--but, they weren't sufficient. So, Janet and I began a trek along the roads to see the rest of the island; we had walked only a couple of miles when we arrived at the Grand Hotel. Cold and wet, we decided to pay the $10/person admission to the hotel. We spent a couple of hours touring the inside and, even, had the lunch buffet. Sufficiently warmed and very stuffed from lunch, we returned to the docks for the ferry ride back to St. Ignace. The ferry line provides free, shuttle service to the campground.

The smart is loaded and ready to travel tomorrow. We plan to travel, tomorrow morning, along US 2 West to South Range, WI--Lord willing--where we'll spend a few days.

Safe journey to other travelers!

Raymond (G8r.Ray; i.e., Gator Ray) & Janet
Grinnin' ear-to-ear, since 2012-03-14

2005 Volvo 630 Motor Coach,

VE D12 465hp/1650lb-ft, 12 sp FreedomLine (2-Peddle),
217in WB, smart car deck/bed by Toterman, Pressure Pro,
PowerTank, Crossfire (dual tire pressure equilizer)

2006 smart forTwo Passion (450, Gen I), Ruby Red/Silver
2008 smart forTwo Passion (451, Gen II), Blue/Black
2009 DRV Mobile Suites 36RS3

Hopefully once you are west of the great (cold) lakes you will be clear of the cold and damp.

North of you in the Wawa area the spring melt is washing out major roads , even threatening the trans canada hwy.

-following Janets blog-

safe travels

Ralf and Laurie

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Thanks, Ralf and Laurie. Even though we seem to be chasing cold weather. ..we are having a blast. US Route 2 is a beautiful road. Hope Y'all are doing well. Hi to Kevin too.

Edited by jags1fan

Janet Church Lifetime Member #96033 RDBE #58
2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
2006 Ruby Red Smart (1st Gen)
2009 DRV 36' Mobile Suites
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

better half: G8r.Ray Raymond Church

My blog: ForksInTheRVRoad.com

Thanks, Rauf and Laurie. Even though we seem to be chasing cold weather. ..we are having a blast. US Route 2 is a beautiful road. Hope Y'all are doing well. Hi to Kevin too.

We'll have to chat with you about Rt. 2 later this summer. We will likely come back from Alaska by that route. Might even see ya up there. Hope to be leaving Indiana in about 4-5 weeks.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hope we see you in Alaska too. Keep in touch.

2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart
NO PMs PLEASE. I might not see them for a long time! Contact me at: jags1fan@gmail.com

I am parked at the Goshen Fairgrounds. After MorRyde IS install, I went to Shipshewana Flea Market campground for a few days and had 8 hours of training by Glyn Carson of the RV Driving School. Then I migrated over to where I am now for the Boot Camp and am staying on for the Escapade.

I backed into my 1st back in campsite on my first try without any re-positioning. That said, I know I need plenty more practice before I will really feel comfortable.

I found out exactly how high the bottom corner of my bedroom slide is yesterday. It's an inch above my eyebrows...yes right there where that nasty looking scab is.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Jim - WOW that's wonderful. Raymond did the boot camp a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have fun! Hope someone has told you to get the $1 Noodles from the dollar store....make a slit on one side and pop them on that bedroom slide to protect future encounters! Where are you headed from Goshen? Janet

2005 Volvo 630
2008 Blue Smart

We're back in Randolph after graduating "Boot Camp" on Sunday. Had a few issues going down there last Thursday. Then inverter trouble while there. Thank goodness for electric hook-up & extension cords. Stopped in a wayside traveling through IL. just as the rain started last night & thankfully road the storm out sipping coffee in the wayside. Met some great people in Goshen & looking forward to seeing them again on the road one day. Oh yeah, two free nights in parking lots, isn't life great?

Todd & Beth

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

David, you probably don't remember me. My wife and I came to the 2007 ECR in Gettysburg. We were in the Trailmanor fold down TT pulled by a Honda Ridgeline. Thanks to you and others, that is where I caught the bug.

Jim

Jim, now that you mentioned it my memory came back to me ! I do remember ! Glad to see your on the road. If I can be of any help feel free to drop me a line.

David

Looking at new opportunities !

2008 Ultra Classic

http://community.web.../user/toterman2

Last Sunday morning (Mother's Day), we departed St Ignace, MI, (temperature was ~55F) and were heading toward South Range, MI--a delightful, long drive along US 2 West with many scenic views of Lake Michigan and it's clear, blue water as far as the eye could see.

But, we had a change of plans during our drive: the RV campground at South Range was "under water," meaning that the amount of rains recently had saturated the soil to the point that the manager will only allow small Class C RVs or small pull trailers and the like. So, we drove to Saginaw, Minnesota, instead. And, we stayed at Ogston's RV campground--the temperature was about 40F when we arrived. On Monday, the weather was not what I like--temp was ~45F, rain, and strong gusty winds--so, Janet and I stayed indoors, getting caught up with some chores and trying to keep warm. Tuesday, the weather was slightly warmer and less rain; so, we unloaded the smart and drove into Duluth to do some grocery shopping, sight-seeing, and having lunch at the Duluth Grill (which had been featured on Triple-D, aka Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives). By the time we returned home, the temperature had dropped and the wind had increased; so, we put the smart to bed (loaded it on the bed of our Volvo).

True to form, Janet and I departed from Saginaw, Minnesota, this morning (Wednesday)--I'm convinced because it warmed above 50F--and arrived at Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota, this afternoon (temperature was ~43F; tonight's forecast: 28F). There was a constant, strong wind blowing nearly the whole trip today. We couldn't really feel the crosswinds...however, the headwinds seem to have affected (negatively) our fuel economy a little (per the DID).

Our plan is to depart tomorrow morning for Minot AFB, North Dakota--we may be breaking our trend: tomorrow's temperatures here at Grand Forks are supposed to be in the 50s, but so is temp in Minot!

Our smart is still "to bed," ready to continue our trek along US 2 West tomorrow...Lord willin'!

Janet and Ray;

Great to see you guys are on the road again. Bonnie and I are in Altoona, Ia for the summer. I just saw you were out our way. I'm sorry we missed you. We were in SD Tuesday getting our drivers license's. Have a great time in AK. We're jealous for sure. By the way, we took the jeep to SD, the head wind was terrible. It took a tank and 1/3 to get to Sioux Falls, and 3/4 to get back next day. May the wind be at your back all the way!

1984 Peterbilt 359 CAT 3406 400 HP Custom Totor

2014 DRV Elite Suite

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

2011 Polaris UTV

Mickey:

Great hearing from you. Are y'all visiting family or friends, fishing, relaxing, or work camping in Altoona? We, too, have had some strong headwinds (and cross winds) during our drive along route US 2 West. You and Bonnie take care; Janet and I hope to see y'all again during our travels.

To get caught up with our travels: On Thursday (2014-05-15) we departed Grand Forks AFB in ~60F temperatures and arrived in Minot, ND in ~70F temperatures--what's with that? a new trend...I hope! We decided against Minot AFB campground because Janet read some reviews that the electric available was only 30A, rather than 50A; so, we pulled into Roughriders Campground (a Good Sams' park). We got a pull-through site, ~80 ft length. The park was full of oil field/pipeline workers with their families; and, it was a little noisy until the children were put to bed (~21:00), after that, it quiet as could be, although you could hear trains blowing at the intersections off in the distance, is you listened closely. Daylight showed up ~04:15; so, we were both up early and pulled out of the Roughriders Campground near 09:00 heading for Glasgow, MT.

The drive along route US 2 West produced views of huge farms/ranches and Indian reservations (actually, I think it may have been a single reservation). Our failure along our travels is having a schedule, rather than stopping at the multitude of historic markers, landmarks, and other points of interest along our route. Anyway, we pulled into Glasgow, MT about mid-afternoon--with temperatures in the mid-60s!!! We stayed at the Cottonwood Inn & Suites and RV Park; it is a really nice park--50A FHU and 90 ft pull-throughs and smaller back-ins. The town is small and the RV Park is very close to "downtown;" so, Janet and I walked to the Ace Hardware store and to the grocery store (about 1.6 mile, round trip).

I'm really not accustomed to daylight showing up so brightly about an hour before sunrise; so, Janet and I, both, were up fairly early; but, even taking our time having breakfast and performing a few chores before getting to the process of buttoning up for travel, we were out of the park about 08:30. Janet decided to drive the next leg of our journey to the Pilot Truck Stop in Shelby, MT--about 5 hours away. All along the drive--we really regret, again, having a schedule that does not allow us the luxury of stopping frequently to see the POI (points-of-interest), especially within 50 miles, either side, of Glasgow--the folks seem to have a knack for creating sculptures out of metal (scrap?) of all kind of things; e.g., dinosaurs, birds, and other creatures living and extinct and erect them along the roadway. There are, also, frequent historic markers, small parks, and areas in commemoration of local heroes or historic events. After refueling in Shelby, I drove the final leg of the day to the St Mary Glacier Park KOA along routes US 2 West and US 89, passing through Cut Bank and Browning. Mostly the speed limit is 70 mph; but, the 31-mile drive between Browning and St Mary, MT, is along US 89 having a narrow, two-lane roadway with none-to-tiny shoulders and many (mostly?) S-curves and switchbacks as it ascends and descends the hills to the base of the Rockies. It took me about an hour (+/-, probably +) to drive those 31 miles, but most of the time was during the last 19 miles, where the majority of the curves are located and where I averaged about 25 mph (estimated).

The KOA park is beautiful; after we just got parked and set up for the week, a strong rain storm roared through; but, it only lasted about 1/2 hour and left the area much cooler and clear. Janet and I went for a walk, then, and spotted about a dozen deer grazing both in the RV Park and in the fields and roadway just outside the park perimeter. We'll be here for five-days...per our schedule!

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend (Sunday before Memorial Day in the USA), we departed St Mary Glacier Park KOA, MT. About 1/2 hour later, we arrived at the Canadian border post. That took about 1/2 hour to fill out the paperwork and pay $25 (Canadian) to register our shotgun to transit Canada--it's good for 60 days; so, if we were to travel through Canada to Alaska and return through Canada in less than 60 days, we won't have to re-register and pay another $25.

The drive through the rolling hills and view of the Canadian Rockies in the distance was really beautiful--especially, if you are from Florida and are not really accustomed to seeing such landscape! The ride through Calgary was uneventful and we arrived at the Bow RiversEdge campground in Cochrane, Alberta. Of course, we did have some drama: The Volvo DID (driver information display) flashed a message that the Climate Control Unit had lost communications. So, on Monday, we visited the Volvo dealer, Transwestern, and scheduled for Tuesday morning at 07:00 to have their technician "triage" the problem and we could be out the door!

The next morning, about 06:15, Janet was in the smart and I followed in the Volvo; just as I was turning onto route 1A off route 22, the DID flashed, "Check Engine ECU at Next Stop!" and suddenly, it sounded as though a couple of cylinders were not functioning! My guess was that an injector had failed--and I was facing a climb up about an 8% grade. I could only muster 60km/h up that grade (110km/h, maximum, speed zone). We finally got to Transwestern and added that issue to the other and waited while the mechanic took and checked the Volvo. A few hours later, the service writer appeared in the waiting lounge and said the communications issue was a blown fuse, but the check engine ECU was from two injectors that failed and "were pulling down the others" also the injector harness was blowing oil and need to be replaced. The earliest he could schedule the work is June 5 and "guessed" that it would take two days. [As of now, I don't have a written estimate for cost or for scheduled completion.]

The campground is full--especially on weekends--booked months in advance; furthermore, the site where we are located is booked for a Class A for the next two months, so we have to move (without a truck)! In addition, they only have a 30A FHU site available to which we can move...for two days...then, boondock for the weekend and move to another site through the following weekend. Hopefully, we'll get the Volvo back on Friday (06 June), but Saturday is more likely. [if they start working on the Volvo on 05 June and it takes more than two days, we won't get it back until Monday or later.]

The good news is that Calgary--at least, what we've seen so far--is a beautiful city, with many attractions (parks, museums, zoo, botanical gardens, etc.). Furthermore, the campground is situated adjacent to the Bow River and has a running/bike path along the banks; so, we can get some exercise to help prepare for our participation in the Mayor's Midnight Marathon/Half-Marathon in Anchorage, AK on 21 June. The International Production Facility for RVHaulers.ca is also located in Calgary; so, we may pay a visit to Gregg and crew, who have been working night & day, lately. We will have no lack of things to do to keep occupied for the next 12-13 days.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Raymond. Had my harness replaced last year and was pretty expensive ($1500 or so) but I leak no oil now so worth it. Say hi to Gregg for us and may the rest of your travels be in uneventful

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• 2 weeks later...
We just arrived in Dawson Creek, British Columbia (BC)--Saturday 2014-06-07. We left Whitecourt, Alberta (AB), this morning before 09:00 MDT and arrived in Dawson Creek, BC, about 15:00 PDT. Dawson Creek is MILE 0 of the Alaska Highway!

The drive was scenic, travelling though the dense forests of Northern Alberta; then, dropping down to a huge plain of lush farm land at Grand Prairie, AB. Interesting (to me, anyway), Cochrane, AB, is ~4,600' elev. and Dawson Creek, BC, is ~2,100' elev; yet, the scenery looks similar--maybe, a few less rolling hills nearby.

Janet and I plan to go out exploring this afternoon and tomorrow; depending upon what we discover (or upon how much exploring we actually accomplish), we may spend one extra day here.

Tip for the day: It appears that most truck stops (at least, in northern AB and northern BC) use the "Card Lock" system (Card Lock means that the driver can use the "card" to unlock and pump his/her diesel fuel and never has to visit or speak to the attendant); also, most, if not all, of those Card Lock truck stops are unattended during the weekend! Plan your fueling stops for weekdays only and during normal working hours! We plan to refuel in Dawson Creek, BC, and the question remains whether those Card Lock truck stops will even accept credit cards or will accept only Card Lock cards; we'll let ya know, as soon as we find out (probably, Monday).

Safe travels to all who are traveling.

Raymond

Raymond, I can't speak for Dawson Creek but usually "Card locks" in Saskatchewan and the ones I have been to in Alberta only accept the "Card lock card" - essentially it is just a credit account set up at the fuel supplier and billed out monthly.

2009 Volvo 670VLN

2012 Forrest River Cedar Creek 36RE

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate

I think Card Lock is like Pacific Pride and only accepts their card which is direct billed. I have Pacific Pride so I know how it works just thinking Card Lock is the same though I have not checked into it before.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

We have arrived at the Pioneer RV Park in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, CA--yesterday evening, actually (Wednesday 2014-06-11). The site is a pull-through, 70 ft in length, but was a little bit of a tight squeeze getting into--the gravel roadway on either side of the site is about 15-20 ft in width (estimated). However, there are no clear delineations between the site boundaries and the roadways, or between the sites either. The sites for big rigs are very near the highway; so, there is road noise, which is clearly perceptible but not annoying (to me, anyway). One downside, here, is that we are experiencing extreme voltage drop; when the heat pump is running (~16A), the voltage drops to about 105V; turn on other loads, and the whole-house, surge protector shuts down at voltages less than 104V! Fortunately, we have a 50A Hughes Autotransformer to boost the voltage and are having to use it at our site (Site #75); but, even with the Hughes in the circuit, the voltage still drops enough that the Hughes drops out (cuts off) to protect our coach's circuits; then, we have to wait several seconds after the Hughes resets for the Progressive surge protector to reset--any loads exceeding about 20A, total, produces excessive voltage drop! [Just be advised.]

Since leaving Dawson Creek, BC, we traveled to the Triple G Hideaway campground in Ft Nelson, BC. It rained most of that day, but stopped raining about 40-50 miles before arriving in Ft Nelson. Unfortunately, there are two, long downhill grades of ~9% and, both, having a left-hand turn either part way down or nearly at the bottom of the grade; both grades were negotiated during downpours--YIKES! [speaking as a flatland driver before this trip! The grades and curves we negotiated in Montana were but a very small preview of these two.] With all the rain, there was little opportunity to enjoy the beauty of Northern BC. Triple G Hideaway assigned us a 75 ft, pull-through with 50A FHU; however, the cable TV connection provided a degraded signal on all channels and, while we (and everyone else that we spoke with) could connect to the WiFi, we could not connect to the Internet.

The next morning, bright and early, we departed Ft Nelson, BC, heading for a 300+ mile drive to Nugget City, YT (Yukon Territory), which is, simply, the Baby Nugget RV campground about 15 miles beyond Watson Lake, YT. The drive was, almost entirely, with a beautiful clear sky and a few scattered, cumulus clouds and good roadway conditions--and only a few rough spots (repaired frost heaves). The drive, also, included many slowdowns due to wildlife--Janet captured in photos the moose and many bears w/cubs [see Janet's blog, ForksInTheRVRoad.com; since I was driving, I took pics of only a few animals and mountain scenery during the drive.]. BC is a beautiful land offering a lot of the natural beauty that God created in this world.

The Baby Nugget RV campground has a lot of sites, but the campground was mostly empty (less than a dozen campers overnight); they assigned us to a 50A w/water site that is 100 ft in length; none of the sites have sewer connections. The work camper with whom we spoke told us that they use a huge sand pit for dumping the tanks--I didn't try that, did not even go look at the area, nor did I quiz him about whether he meant the gray water only, or the gray and black water. Janet and I, both, were exhausted after 600 miles of travel in two days; so, we slept in and departed Baby Nugget RV campground about 11;00 MDT (in that part of YT, they use MDT for summer and PST for winter...go figure).

The drive through YT, though beautiful, does not really compare with the previous day's drive through BC. Also, there are several sections of highway that are gravel, rather than asphalt surfaces--one section is approximately 11 miles in length, where we slowed to about 30 kmph (~20 mph); that section was very rough (and even had, at least, one steep downhill grade), but the other sections of gravel weren't nearly as bad (I did slow to 60-70 kmph [37-43 mph, though]). Unlike the day before, we saw no wildlife along the route. However, about 30 miles from Whitehorse, a few, light rain showers peppered us 'til we arrived at the Pioneer RV Park, very close to downtown Whitehorse.

We plan to take a couple of days downtime--necessary for an old-timer, like myself--to do a little exploring and to recharge our bodies' batteries, so to speak. While we are here, in Whitehorse, we'll plan our next set of stops between Whitehorse and Anchorage, AK.

I'm at A&A Mesa Verde RV Park right across the highway from Mesa Verde National Park in southwest Colorado. I signed up to workamp here for the summer, but the Verizon coverage just isn't fast enough to support my company software (still working full time). Headed to a new workamping gig in MO that promises to be a much better arrangement.

This park has new owners as of a week ago. If you're in the area, this is an HDT-friendly park. No shade, but not much in this area anywhere. Very convenient to the National Park.

Bill Greenwade

Full Timer from Mena, Arkansas

2012 KZ 40ft 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

1998 Volvo VNL 610

As of today, Branson, MO for the next 10 nights. We came from VA down thru Tennessee, on to Little Rock and up I-40/65. The Volvo performed beautifully and laughed at the long uphill pulls. It is hot here.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I am currently at Bluff, Utah and I got here last Monday. Weill be leaving tomorrow going to Vernal Utah via US191 but that is kinda a long mileage stent for me. Price Utah is kinda a short run so maybe if I see something between Price and Vernal will stop if I am tired. I will let you know where that when I get there. :D

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.