When people don't pay and Government Park doesn't care

63belv

It seems when I point out that we had visitors stay and failed to pay ,the park doesn't care. I had a visitors stay three day's put a check in the envelope for one day and park employee says she doesn't really care. I have found the honor system put the envelope in the post doesn't apply to all. Some insert empty envelopes and if there is not a host that means it must be free. But the government employee attitude they don't care bothers me. Should I care?

Is it worth their time and effort and expense to peruse the slimeballs that don't pay? How would they prove it if there is no CG host to know how long they were there? I do understand your frustration. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I'm sure it is not that they don't care, but there really isn't anything they can do about it and no point stressing over it. Unfortunately.. there's no shortage of people willing to take advantage at others expense if they can get away with it.

Mind sharing with us where you are and what park? When we hosted in a campground at Mohave NP one of our duties was to check for payment and to inform the LE on duty of any RVs that failed to pay. I'm sure that we did get one who slipped through on occasion, but not many. The LE didn't ticket them but did go by and collect.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I really don't want to say where we are because we would like to come back next year and someone might say something to them. But we have been at numerous volunteer positions and experienced the same. Some places are different, We were in a Corp park in SD and she watched them like a hawk. In Texas we had ice and laundry on the honor system they thought people were paying, no.The worst are the ones come in late and leave early they can't afford $8.Had a rental m/h leave early still dark no headlights on didn't pay. I have been told that some state parks really hold to the 1/2 check-in.

Part of our duties at all of the parks where we have hosted was to make sure everyone paid. If they did not, we were then to advise the owners, managers or the LEO. In one park we were the managers and would have had the power to demand payment or ask them to leave. If they didn't then the LEO would have been called. We didn't have too many, but we have seen some in parks where we have stayed. Late in, early out and never paid.

Pat DeJong

We volunteered at a national lakeshore. When they made reservations or drove in during hours, they were required to come into the office and give address, phone #, vehicle license plate #'s.

If parties came in after office hours we could easily tell if they weren't there earlier and hadn't paid. The hosts took turns to make rounds around 9pm and if not paid we'd remind them to do so first thing in the morning.

If folks came in after 9pm and during the night, they could have easily left early morning before paying. However, one the hosts was on duty at 7am to make the rounds again so I don't think many left before then.

For those that came in after 9pm and were still on site at 7am for the rounds, we'd write down their license plate # and leave a note on their site to please come into the office after 8am to pay.

There were very few who snuck out between 7am and 8am. For those, since we had their license plate, they really didn't get away without paying. They were fined.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I really don't want to say where we are because we would like to come back next year and someone might say something to them. But we have been at numerous volunteer positions and experienced the same. Some places are different, We were in a Corp park in SD and she watched them like a hawk. In Texas we had ice and laundry on the honor system they thought people were paying, no.The worst are the ones come in late and leave early they can't afford $8.Had a rental m/h leave early still dark no headlights on didn't pay. I have been told that some state parks really hold to the 1/2 check-in.

No self pay system is immune to this sort of thing and it would be my guess that the park employees are accepting of the situation which there isn't much that can be done to prevent, rather than uncaring. There have always been people who cheat and there always will be. No amount of enforcement in such situations will ever completely prevent that and I suspect the employees simply have come to realize that. It would likely cost the park more to have enforcement of such fees than the additional money collected. Even commercial parks occasionally experience the "arrive late & depart early" type of people.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Even commercial parks occasionally experience the "arrive late & depart early" type of people.

That is fairly common in commercial parks. There is always someone who want to cheat the system.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I do not remember where I read about a solution that was used at a state park that seemed to work. The host would take a picture of the RV and tag number. They would then bill the person for the site plus a fine. I have seen some non payment fines as much as $100.00 dollars. With all the internet connections it seems that be a real problem for credit scores. Some will ruin good camping opportunities for the rest of us. Perhaps a parking lot tire boot could be put on the offenders RV.

Looks like a good opportunity for some credit collection agency or a web site listing offenders??

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Howdy!

Then you have the parks that don't enforce the rules. We often stay a a county park in Hobbs NM that is on the honor system and rules state you can only stay for two weeks. There are a number of violators staying well over the two week rule and they of course have the best sites. When a asked a worker his response was "they work in the area so we over look it".

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Archived