Full-Timer Independent Contractor

I recently began work with a Texas organization on a 1 year contract. Technically, I can telecommute though I am badged for the facility and will be there a lot to manage my projects. I still want to be able to travel, and I don't know how long I'll actually be here right now. Thus I would l like to set myself up so I don't have to change after a year or sooner. Because I have this contract, do I have to domicile near my primary place of work? Can I be a FL resident to get national PPO insurance, even though my income is from Texas? Can I be a resident of Livingston for insurance, registration, etc. even though I'm staying in an RV park about 100 miles south? This area is super expensive and I'm worried about losing my grandfathered PPO insurance currently based in WI. I'm only 52, and have been paying 100% out of pocket; this year's income will exceed any subsidy allowance. Thanks for your advice.

Barbara Jones, missing my furry travel companions Reggie and M.E.C.O. (RIP)
2005 Montana 3295RK
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually Crew Cab LB
http://www.spacetonature.blogspot.com

Because I have this contract, do I have to domicile near my primary place of work? Can I be a FL resident to get national PPO insurance, even though my income is from Texas? Can I be a resident of Livingston for insurance, registration, etc. even though I'm staying in an RV park about 100 miles south? This area is super expensive and I'm worried about losing my grandfathered PPO insurance currently based in WI.

I don't believe that the state of TX will cause any problems if you domicile in Livingston while working somewhere else. The insurance questions need to be answered by someone from the insurance carrier. I strongly suspect that a TX domicile will cause you a problem with an insurance policy written in WI, but you need an answer from them in order to be sure. I would contact them and ask the questions as though you are considering a move to a job in TX for a year, not volunteering that you have already gone to TX. Since you could telecommute, why not do so from a place that your present insurance carrier can accept?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you can keep an address in WI, I would check into staying there. Good health insurance is hard to come by nowadays. I-35 makes the drive north and south not a bad one at all. We made the drive between Minnesota and Texas for 6 years.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I agree with Linda. Good healthcare is a major consideration as to where you want to domicile now a days. Where it used to be you could pretty much set up a domicile anywhere, and be assured of getting good coverage. You now have to do some investigating to see if a PPO is even available in an area you might choose. In some places even being one county over can make a big difference. It certainly isn't the best arrangement, but that's what we're stuck with for now.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

After reading on this, I had somewhat come to the conclusion that I should domicile in FL where I thought you could still get an independent policy that was PPO and national. Did I miss something. Wisconsin has a state income tax that would be significant. That's the main problem with staying there. Otherwise, if I weren't earning any money, it wouldn't even be a consideration to change anything. So Monday I will call and ask about insurance options for FL to make sure. What are the downsides of a FL domicile?

Barbara Jones, missing my furry travel companions Reggie and M.E.C.O. (RIP)
2005 Montana 3295RK
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually Crew Cab LB
http://www.spacetonature.blogspot.com

Don't forget to check things like vehicle insurance rates and medical insurance rates when making a domicile decision. I am working half-time for an employer in Michigan and domicile in Ohio. Ohio has state and local income taxes, but my license plate fees for my 2012 motorhome are only $59 a year and they let you buy them for two years at once, which is a real convenience! In addition, my vehicle insurance and medical insurance rates are lower than they would be in some other states, so it averages out.

So, your employer is in TX, and you can telecommute from anywhere, where will your paycheck be sent ? (this should be your domicile and where you should be taxed). "Wisconsin has a state income tax that would be significant."....does Wisconsin claim taxes on income earned "out of state" ?

Telecommuting state taxing

Forbes tax article

Regards

Gemstone

'06 Elite Suites, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

I've been a independent contractor that full-times since 2011. My current contract is with a client in NC. For this contract, I work 90% remote. Today, I'm sitting in Texas enjoying the sunshine.

In 2014, I was domiciled in SD. I "moved" to FL in 2015 so that I could get nationally available insurance (Aetna/Humana). Deductibles are $6,000/year.

I don't have exact figures but - vehicle insurance was less in FL, registration was a bit more.

I do use a tax accountant since my situation is complicated.

Hope this helps

Kathy

So, your employer is in TX, and you can telecommute from anywhere, where will your paycheck be sent ? (this should be your domicile and where you should be taxed).

Not necessarily. Direct deposit can be to any state. We bank in Texas and have done so for many years. Even when we lived and worked in Minnesota. At that time we domiciled in Minnesota but our paychecks went to Texas. Domicile is a confusing issue for many so getting professional advice on YOUR situation can be valuable.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived