What do you say when asked, "What do you?"

With other RV'ers it works well to say "Were retired and full-timers." They completely get it. For others we meet, we seem to have to explain things. Still trying to figure it out.

I'd not give it much concern. Most people will never grasp what fulltimers do or how we live. They have a become caught up in the rush to accrue more money and more stuff on the one hand and they lack the self-confidence and nerve needed to be different on the other. Another part of the issue is envy by those who have dreams but lack the will to live them out, yet realize that it is exactly what you are doing. You will find that many of those who do go out on the road simply can't adapt or run short of funds, or loose the will to be different and soon return to the fixed way of life. Fulltime RV living is one of those things that you almost have to experience to understand. The lack of understanding doesn't make them bad or even wrong, but those who live the life for many years are clearly a more adventurous people than the average citizen. That isn't all bad since it would sure get crowded out on the road if everyone who talks of doing it, actually did.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We retired about six months ago. We are in our fifties, and apparently we look young for retired folks at least. We hear, "You're too young to be retired" statement pretty often, especially from those our age or older than us who are not retired.

Yep. Now I say I'm unemployed and that usually shuts down that particular line of questioning.

For years I sometimes have said, "Whatever I want to," whether I was working a paid job or not. I don't like being labeled. If they ask for more I sometimes list some of the jobs I have had over the years; it's interesting to see which ones they ask followup questions about. Sometimes I just tell them about one job giving way more details than they really wanted. Apparently my answer depends on what kind of mood I am in when someone asks. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Howdy!

I tell them we're fulltime RVer's, retired and on vacation the rest of our life.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Heh. Try telling people you are a homeschooling stay-at-home mom of six boys, and wait and see the raised eyebrows you'll get!

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

Just barely related, but true: Most of the time when a person asks you what you do they really want you to ask them what they do.

It's the same way with children, and most any other personal question.

"So, what do you do?"

"We are retired and are touring the country in our RV - how about you, what do you do?"

It is then that you'll get to what they really wanted in the first place. It's just human nature.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Just barely related, but true: Most of the time when a person asks you what you do they really want you to ask them what they do.

It's the same way with children, and most any other personal question.

"So, what do you do?"

"We are retired and are touring the country in our RV - how about you, what do you do?"

It is then that you'll get to what they really wanted in the first place. It's just human nature.

Really? That's human nature? I guess I'm not human then. I like hearing about others' adventures, careers, families, etc. I don't like discussing my own at all.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Just this morning I was sitting out front with my cup of coffee when a neighbor stopped by and asked what I am doing. I told him that I am doing nothing today. He then commented that I did nothing all day yesterday, so I explained that I am not finished yet. :P

y

Great answer, I'll have to remember that one Kirk. I was never defined by my job so answering this question won't be an issue for me. I'm happily unemployed at the moment, excited about future opportunities on the road.

Tom and Mare

The Breeze RV

https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com

2002 National Sea Breeze

2004 Harley Electra Glide Classic

I always answer "retired Forester". That really helps in rural areas in finding some neat spots.

Then......a guy checked out my blog. He came back and said......"your picture shows you much younger". I think he wants me to take a new picture. Must be why we no longer get comments about "being to young to retire".

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

We tell people we are retired and spend our time chasing after good weather and sun shine. It is a great conversation starter.

Greg

X2

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to laugh when I think about one of first encounters I had at Rainbow's End when I retired from the military at age 38. A fellow really got angry and informed me that I needed to go back to work as I wasn't doing my part to support our country and add to the social security fund. He was dead serious. It's been a great retirement as now it's 28 years later....and still chasing the sun.

There always going to be the doubters and nay-sayers, whether friends, family, acquaintances. Most just do not understand the freedom we have as full timers. A lot of it comes from those that don't have their own plans in place and therefore feel they have to knock those of us who have planned for what we are doing.

In any case, if you are doing what you want and find it rewarding it does not matter to anyone but you. The most important thing is that you are happy which will hopefully show others that this lifestyle is great and maybe push those with no plans to think twice about it!

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

Howdy All,

If I can ever convince my wife to quit working, I'd like to become a full timer, now that she is still teaching school I am a part time snow bird but I still get asked the question of What do you do?" My reply is, I am working on becoming a professional gentleman of leisure.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived