Firearms not allowed into Canada

I have been told by a couple of my retired police RV'er friends that Canada does not allow you to bring hand guns into their country.

If you are going to Alaska, or, as we plan to do this year, go across Canada from the Michigan Upper Peninsula to Maine, how are RV'ers handling this problem?

I have thought about mailing our hand guns ahead to a general delivery somewhere in Maine, but is that even legal?

Marlindy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can ship them to an FFL in Alaska, use them while there, and then ship them to a FFL back in the states for pickup on the way back. That is routinely done. And is about the only way to handle it, other than buying a gun in Alaska...and I'm not sure what their state laws are for non-residents. I don't know if they allow private party sales or not...you can look that up, though.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Let me emphasize, they are very serious about this. Being from Texas, they just knew that we had our 6-shooters hidden out on our motor home SOMEWHERE and spent a good deal of time looking for it. After they spent over an hour on our MH, they asked for the keys to our Toad. I used the opportunity to tell them that I DO INDEED have two pistols that I normally carry but that I had left them with a friend and I would be happy to give them his phone number. After looking through my Toad for a few minutes (which sort of looked like it belonged to Fiber McGee) she said, "That is quite alright sir."

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Not a stupid question! It stands for Federal Firearms Licence. So to ship to Alaska you would have to ship it to a FFL holder.MAYBE. I don't know the actual laws, and they probably vary state to state, but you MAY be able to ship it to yourself to an address in Alaska, and pick it up when you get there. It may be worth looking into,
Jim

Why not just leave it in the lower 48 somewhere and get it when you get back...

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I generally rent a safe deposit box and leave mine in the lower 48. Some banks will specifically state in the rental agreement that no firearms may be stored, but most will just state that no explosives may be stored. An unloaded hand gun is not considered an explosive. There is no law prohibiting storing handguns in a safe deposit box and no requirement to declare what you place in your box.

It's fairly inexpensive and secure.

As others have stated, save yourself the problem and leave/store them at home. Just crossed the border today and had a number of questions about firearms, same experience as Mike and Claudia. Initial passport check at entry point, then a more detailed background check inside and then a search. So many questions about fire arms at home, parts or pieces in RV, or shells of any kind. Began to believe they may have a tie in with the US on concealed carry permits which I have, that set off red flags, never had anything in past that would prompt any problems.

Jim

I have spoken to several folks who have traveled to Alaska thru Canada. They said they leave their handguns at home and take hunting rifle and shotgun without hassle.

1999 Volvo 610 Detroit 12.7, 4.70, 10 speed, 40' Teton

Too many motorcycles and not enough time

www.shredx.net

Why not just leave it in the lower 48 somewhere and get it when you get back...

When we went to AK (2011) we left all firearms in our storage unit in the lower 48. However while in BC, Yukon, and AK we did not feel it was safe to go out hiking without any protection. I was led to believe that most Alaskans carry firearms when they are out in the "bush". WalMarts in AK sell 50 cal revolvers! We enjoyed our trip to AK very much but would have enjoyed it more if we had felt safe doing some hiking.

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Very true. No issue whatsoever with long guns.

I've also heard this. But I personally know of a retired LEO who tried to cross into Canada with a shotgun and all the proper paper work but he was refused entry at the border in Eastern Canada. He was delayed several days trying to find a way to leave his weapon in the USA.

---ron

Ron Engelsman

23' Komfort TT

Several things going on.... Do not take a handgun into Canada at all, only certain long guns are allowed. I would NOT try to take your tricked out AR15 into Canada, you will get a surprise... Generally a bolt action or break open weapon that is not a short barrel will be allowed IF you have done the proper paperwork. semi auto and pump shotguns and rifles are considered on an individual basis and are often left to the individual officer to determine what is "legal".

As far as Alaska goes, you will be able to buy a long gun there even if you are from out of state from a FFL dealer only. It is against federal law to buy a firearm of any sort from an individual that is from a different state. You are not allowed to buy a handgun from a dealer or an individual at all if you are from a different state. That is stupid considering the instant check system we have but that is the state of ignorance we have in the federal government now.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

If you do not know about Canada and Firearms do some really good homework. In Ohio the information that you have a CCP is on your drivers license so when going across the border it is known that you have a permit to carry and you will get the question. Our answer is always yes we know the law and have no firearms on board. We have never had a problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I went through all the different scenarios, shipping to a FFL in Tok, and then shipping to another in the lower 48. Could've done it but it was going to be a hassle calling and setting it up. Another way I found is to check and see where any shooting competitions were being held in AK., and register with one of those. In that case you can take a handgun, but wow a lot of hoops to jump through. I finally decided to just store them at a campground I found near the Canadian border that does gun storage. The only drawback to that is we had to cross back into the U.S. at the same place as going north. But it worked out for us.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

When we went to AK (2011) we left all firearms in our storage unit in the lower 48. However while in BC, Yukon, and AK we did not feel it was safe to go out hiking without any protection. I was led to believe that most Alaskans carry firearms when they are out in the "bush". WalMarts in AK sell 50 cal revolvers! We enjoyed our trip to AK very much but would have enjoyed it more if we had felt safe doing some hiking.

---ron

Ive said this before and I will repeat it again.....a handgun will only get a bear good and angry...its not going to kill them and its not even going to slow them down much. The stopping power of a handgun of any caliber is not sufficient to be effective on a charging grizzly bear and this is assuming you are accurate enough to place a shot in a vital area of a 700 lb animal moving at you at 30 mph ....you will only get 1 or 2 shots.

Leave your hand guns at home there are no snakes to worry about.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

A better choice as a last resort against bears is bear spray. Plus it doesn't kill the bear. :) It is legal in Canada if clearly labeled as such.

It's illegal to use bear spray against a human aggressor there, but if someone is trying to kill me and it's all I have to defend myself because they won't let me have a handgun for protection, then I'd rather go to jail than be killed.

Chip

Ive said this before and I will repeat it again.....a handgun will only get a bear good and angry...its not going to kill them and its not even going to slow them down much. The stopping power of a handgun of any caliber is not sufficient to be effective on a charging grizzly bear and this is assuming you are accurate enough to place a shot in a vital area of a 700 lb animal moving at you at 30 mph ....you will only get 1 or 2 shots.

Well, I would rather have a handgun and a chance than to not try at all. You may be lucky and get attacked by a young grizzly!

Jim

I don't think everyone shares your OPINION.

From the Wikipedia link below:

The .500 S&W Magnum was designed to be primarily a handgun hunting cartridge. It also serves a secondary purpose as a back-up survival handgun cartridge as a defense against the large bears of North America.[19] Due to its power, recoil and size, the 500 S&W Magnum is a poor self-defense or concealed-carry weapon, especially in an urban environment.

220px-.500S%26WMunition2.jpg
Size comparison of a 500 S&W round and a human hand.

The .500 S&W Magnum’s success with large dangerous game is in part due the availability of heavier bullets with exceptional sectional densities. Bullets above 500-grain (32 g) have the sectional densities required for hunting heavier African dangerous game. As a hunting cartridge the .500 S&W Magnum has been found to be effective against elephant and African buffalo as long as ranges are kept within reasonable limits.[20][21] Bullet selection is extremely important when hunting thick-skinned dangerous game. Smith & Wesson bills the Model 500 revolver as "A Hunting Handgun For Any Game Animal Walking".[19]

In North America, it serves the purpose of hunting all North American big game species. The cartridge has had success in harvesting of Alaskan brown bear, American bison, moose, and elk. It is also used to hunt black bear, whitetail deer, wild boar, and feral hogs.[21] The cartridge gained some notoriety as being the cartridge which was used to hunt the supposed Monster Pig.

Much more here

Ron Engelsman

23' Komfort TT

An individual may ship a handgun through the U.S. mail to a FFL holder/gun shop, and they may ship it back to that individual; but an individual cannot ship to a non-FFL individual.

Very true. No issue whatsoever with long guns.

You might re-read that CA website again. Certain types (most auto-loaders) are prohibited.

There are instances where a U.S. citizen may take handguns into CA, but they are very specific, like being a participant in a sanctioned shooting match in CA. Again it's on the website.

Hers is what the U.S. state dept. has to say: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/canada.html

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You might re-read that CA website again. Certain types (most auto-loaders) are prohibited.

I didn't think it needed to be said, but I guess I should re-word that... no issue with any "reasonable" long guns. Semi-auto long guns, tricked out tactical weapons, full autos, bofurs, and the like probably won't make it over the border. :P:lol:

Jim, I hate to disagree with you but a .475 Linebaugh can and has been used on dangerous game here and in Africa. They have been used to take Cape Buffalo, brown bear and grizzly bears. You might want to take a look at the ballistics on that hand cannon, they will surprise you.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived