Line-X inside your toolboxes?

GeorgiaHybrid

I have been thinking about getting the inside of our tool boxes and the inside of the drom box sprayed with Line-X instead of paint. It should dampen the noise from things sliding around and be an easy to fix coating if it ever gets messed up. We would still paint both sides of the doors in the truck body color.

Anyone else ever done this? Can you think of any downsides? The Line-X will be cheaper than paint to get it sprayed and if it is like my pickup beds, it will take a lot of abuse and still look good.

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I have been thinking about getting the inside of our tool boxes and the inside of the drom box sprayed with Line-X instead of paint. It should dampen the noise from things sliding around and be an easy to fix coating if it ever gets messed up. We would still paint both sides of the doors in the truck body color.

Anyone else ever done this? Can you think of any downsides? The Line-X will be cheaper than paint to get it sprayed and if it is like my pickup beds, it will take a lot of abuse and still look good.

David

I think it would work well. My suggestion is to wait until you have used your set up for a while, you may want to add or move shelves and dividers in your tool boxes.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

While I didnt exactly do what you are proposing, I have used some elastomeric roof coating to coat the inside of a LoadNGo with it to reduce the sliding around of the tools and bins. I used some bedliner for the outside and the inside of the bed area of the LoadNGo. I has worked well and does reduce the sliding around. The bedliner was sprayed on and I find that with its peaks and valleys, the contact area of the product is less than the roof coating I put inside the boxes. Each coating has its advantages and disadvantages, but I would do it again. I did it all myself so I saved on the labor cost, although a few years back when I bought a truck and service bed, I had Line-X spray it for me. It didnt turn out as well as the one I did myself, likely because the motivation for a good job was different.

As to coating the boxes and adding shelves and dividers, do it whenever. Any shelves and dividers can be added/moved with the coating in place as it doesnt make sense to coat those parts.

Marcel

I agree with Nigel. Make sure everything is how you want it.

Trying to go back and weld after its coated sucks! I know

Been there done that on some fleet welding jobs.

Also it's a little harder to clean or wipe out than a smooth surface. You can have it sprayed some what smooth though.

Other than that go for it you'll love it I did my whole inside of my early bronco, and can pressure wash it easily after a desert trip.

Is line-x a sealer? Without some form of primer / sealer you may get corrosion between the line-x and metal.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I would think it would work OK, but you would still likely want to put down the rubber mats, as suggested above. The bigger issue will be finding someone with a small enough gun to shoot it properly inside the boxes. Not everyone can do that.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

When I built my simple bed, I bought a "kit" from a local paint shop that included a throwaway spray gun. I painted the bed with regular primer, then hit it with the "line X" type stuff. I had just enough left over to cover the bottom inside and partway up the walls of my saddle boxes. Worked GREAT. Totally eliminates the clinking and rattles. Do throw a rubber mat in to protect the LIneX stuff from really heavy pointy stuff (old car floormats work good).

The gun was no bigger than an ordinary paint gun....and it was the easiest paint job I ever did. Warning...have a friend ready to mix the "next" can of stuff, as you spray out the first one. It goes on fast, but has a short "mixed" life. Mine had 3 cans to mix the hardener into, and I emptied one nearly as fast as he could mix the next one!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

The bedliner works best outside but the elastomeric roof coating I used inside was applied with throw away brushes and weenie rollers. My boxes have shelves mounted to clips and unistrut, so moving/adjusting them is not a big deal, no welding required.

I used Xtreeme Liner and they supplied a drywall texture gun to spray it. They also have an undercoat gun that is smaller but uses a suction tube so position will be important as the tube needs to stay in the product. The ticket for the inside was the weenie applied elastomeric. And I can freshen it up when I need to. I put several coats on.

Marcel

If you decide to also use a mat?

I've had great luck with the rubber truck mud flaps cut to size in the boxes on my Mobile welding truck.

I have a friend that uses stall mats inside his boxes on a step deck trailer for chains and binders. It's a lot thicker but really helps cushion the blow when throwing in chains.

He also uses the Mats as mudflaps, it helps a lot with road spray off the tires.

I think one plus would be that Line-X is almost indestructible and can be repaired easily and still look nice. It is a little slick though so I might need to use mats. Larry claims his vendor can spray it inside the boxes so I am going to take him at his word there. I am going to go over the spacing on the drom box shelves to make sure that the spacing will work out OK with what I want to store on them. I can see where changing my mind later would be a pain in the tail to fix.

I think they spray it over blast cleaned metal so as long as the coating is not cut to the metal, it shouldn't ever rust (I hope). I can see the advantage of waiting to see if any shelves need to move but if I do that, I will just spray the insides chassis black and not worry about it. A spray can of that is a cheap fix to scratched paint and a little rust can be easily knocked off before a re-paint.

It is going to be a tossup but I think I am leaning towards the Line-X just because of the durability aspect of the coating.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Do the Line-X. If the vendor has a light color that they can spray inside the boxes get it. Dark colors suck up available light making it hard to see into corners or bad lighting. Having a lighter color is easier to see into, but shows dirt faster. If I can ever get this old bed pulled off, the next on will be Line-X in a light grey . Make it easier to see underneath.

MythBuster did several episodes about the stuff. In the right application, the stuff is just about bomb proof, dog proof, fire proof, etc.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Probably would not matter to you but you should be aware that the Line-x warranty is only for pick up truck beds (at least that's how it was 4 years ago). I had it done on the back of the HDT twice (wasn't applied thick enough the first time) because I did not know this. For any other application any warranty comes from the applier and get it in writing.

This little fact is apparently in the VERY FINE Print somewhere. I took it all the way to corporate and that was what I was told. Just an FYI.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

My question is will LineX help seal the seams?

If in one had any water leaks into their boxes?

Roger

Here's your "Maybe" answer....Supposedly.....

We LineX'ed several race boat motor wells back in the '90's. As a test, we sprayed several raw pieces of 2x8 pine boards. Those boards were then submerged for several weeks. 1 board was cut in half to see if there was any water penetration and there wasn't. The other 2 boards are in a sauna still being used as seats.

So if properly applied in adequate thickness, yes it will seal cracks and prevent water intrusion.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

OK, After reading everything here and talking to Larry about the guys doing the spraying, I don't think they can spray everywhere inside the drom and tool boxes (reaching in to paint the inside wall) with their equipment. I decided to paint the boxes with a silver paint and will mask off everything once I get it back home and spray a light gray Line-X on the top side of the shelves and the bottom of the boxes. After that is done, I will wire up the lights in the boxes.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Archived