How to change your Domicile when you full time RV

Medico

This is just a long overdue follow up, sorry for the delay.

The question was asked what, if anything, we had to do to break from NY. We returned our NY license plates, then filed the proper forms from the NYS DMV to turn in our driver's licenses. This appears to be all that was necessary to satisfy NY that we indeed are now non-residents of NY.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You didn't need to do anything about your voting registration? That seemed to be an issue in Arizona when we moved out for a few years.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We returned our NY license plates, then filed the proper forms from the NYS DMV to turn in our driver's licenses. This appears to be all that was necessary to satisfy NY that we indeed are now non-residents of NY.

[/quote

I've read that NY doesn't always give up so easily. At least at one time, Albany was trying to claim that if you had a bank account in NY, you were still a New Yorker (Declaration of Domicile notwithstanding). Maybe that's changed, but I'm not taking any chances: am cutting ALL ties with the Empire State.

I am a member of a credit union in NY, but do not have any active accounts. Our Wealth Management company (Morgan Stanley) is in NY, but that is where their home office is. They have offices all over the country. NY refunded the remaining amounts for both our registrations and our D/L's. I have heard nothing else from them.

I do not believe you even have to stay at her house every 5th week. You will just be using that address as your mailing address? As long as she agrees to accept your mail and hold it or forward it to you, there should not be a problem. The problem might come in if she moves to a different state.

. We will be staying at her home every 5th week. That is legal right?

What is legally required depends upon the state. Each state has requirements to be considered a resident of that state and they each also have requirements about when you must become a resident. I assume that the state you are speaking of is Arkansas, from your profile? If so, verify what they require there for you to do things like renewing your vehicle registrations, insurance, driving license and any other legal documents or issues that you may need to consider. As long as you meet the Arkansas legal requirements you should be fine. I am not familiar with the residency laws of AR, but no state that I know of has any sort of requirement that you return to the state in any particular time interval, once you have qualified as a resident.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have terminated our NY Domicile as of January 2013 to become Texans. The Drivers License and Registration of vehicles was relatively trivial even though we did have to take the tests for a Cl B license due to vehicle weight. Texas is glad to welcome inbound Full Timers.

NY otoh, may not be so happy to part with my tax dollars. We sold our house and rented an apartment to store some "stuff" that would not easily store in the coach. We are careful to document EVERY day we are not in NY so we can show our being elsewhere for more than 182 days in the calendar year. They are very particular. We drove across a corner of NY on the way from PA to CT and that became a day IN NY. We have not done some other things that might be recommended, I have the same bank accounts I have always had and the same brokerage accounts too, although all the addresses are in 77399. We still see the same doctors we have always seen although our supplemental insurance is BCBS TX. And we belong to the same synagogue in NY as we have all our lives even though we are seldom there.

I expect to hear from NY some time in the next 3 years when they get around to noticing we are no longer filing NY Tax returns. Since I expect it, the only surprise that may happen is that I DON'T hear from them.

'12 Phaeton 36 QSH hauling '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon 4 down. Follow our travels Click here

For states that offer part-year tax forms I always recommend not moving at the end of the year, move Feb to Nov and do a part yer form so the tax man is aware that you are leaving. Even tax happy AZ never pestered us once our PY-140 form got to them.

We moved from MI to FL and the process is well documented above. They only catch I can add is health insurance. Blue Cross MI is not transferrable to Blue Cross FL without going through a process similar to applying for a new policy. Check with your agent to see if your health policy is valid with a FL address before making the move.

sonomalake SKP097754

Knowledge is a wonderful thing. Life experience is even better!!

This is the main reason we switched to the Empire Plan when my wife retired in NY. This is a part of United Health Care system. We found the HMO insurance does not travel well. We had our insurance through her the last few years we worked and her benefits group suggested the change we she retired. We're glad they did now.

• 1 month later...

If you get a jury summons, usually you can just call them and explain you are out of state and they will allow you to slide during that call up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just purchased our fifth wheel and plan to start full timing in February. We are both excited but, also it's a little scary. Our daughter and her family are moving into our home thus, our mortgage will be paid by them. Should we change ourour domicile? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

We just purchased our fifth wheel and plan to start full timing in February. We are both excited but, also it's a little scary. Our daughter and her family are moving into our home thus, our mortgage will be paid by them. Should we change ourour domicile? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

You also posted this under a new subject and you have begun to receive answers on that. It is generally a good idea to start a new thread, as you did so I'll just tie this reply back to your thread about changing domiciles.

Welcome! :D

• 1 month later...

I have read many posts about domicile in Texas and S.D. but I haven't seen any comparison and pro/con analysis. It is easier for me to be in Texas occasionally than S.D. so I was wondering if the mail forwarding and general help with license and registration is comparable when using Dakota Post vs. Escapees in Livingston.

The first time is the same for both - you have to be physically present to get your drivers license and since you are they you get your rig registered. After that Polk County is very easy to work with - a phone call is all you need if you purchase a different rig and need to get it registered, etc. Remember that in Livingston everyone knows about Escapees and what fulltimers are. And once registered, you do annual registration renewal online and then the new sticker/plates (every 7 yrs) are in the next mail shipment to you. Couldn't be any easier.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I have read many posts about domicile in Texas and S.D. but I haven't seen any comparison and pro/con analysis.

While I've not been domiciled in SD, from all that I read it is probably a wash, with the one exception being that TX has a better selection of health care insurance for those not covered by Medicare(or so it seems). But since domicile is more than just where you keep your driver's license and registration, it sounds to me as though TX would probably serve you better. If you have not done so, I think that you might find it helpful to read this article about choosing a domicile from Escapee's Magazine.

If you are under 65, SD isn't very friendly for fulltimers - what are they suppose to do for health insurance?

And how is Texas making things harder? Nothing has changed and certainly have more options for health insurance for those under 65.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Neither one will give you anywhere near the benefits and services we get from Americas Mailbox...................

I'm only comparing domicile states as we did 10 years ago, and as many more people are doing as they start out. It seems like Texas (NOT the Escapees) is making things harder, while South Dakota continues to make things pretty easy for us.

Only one person's opinion and it is important to be careful to separate opinions from facts. There are plenty of folks who consider other states better than whatever state you happen to select and there are also more than one opinion about what mail service in SD is best. There are even a few who domicile in TX and who use another mail service than that of Escapees as there are others here, but Escapee members would probably be rare among their customers. There are at least two other mail service companies in SD that some folks on the forums use.

To make a statement at any state is the best place for an RV domicile is clearly just opinion. My opinion is in favor of TX after looking at all of the facts about SD, TX, FL and two or three other states.

"Neither one will give you anywhere near the benefits and services we get from Americas Mailbox. You need to be in South Dakota for one night every 5 years for your driver's license, and we stay at their campground or guest rooms and tour all the Black Hills attractions. Dakota Post has nothing like that, and I think they're more expensive too."

This statement is from the same user who was proclaiming a month ago that the under 65 health insur problem in SD had all been resolved. The truth was that nothing at all had changed, except his opinion of what should be acceptable to everyone else.

Kiltedpig, there is no written comparison of pro/con because the pros & cons differ for everyone. we all have slightly different preferences, priorities and concerns. Both FL, SD & TX are close to equal on the major issues, friendly to fulltimers and make it fairly easy to become a resident/domicile of their state. Having to visit the state isn't a real issue for any of them; you only have to visit in person at the front end and then once every 5 - 12 yrs for DL renewal.

In many cases this choice comes down to personal preference.

When I did my evaluation, based on my preferences, I chose SD and Americas Mailbox, and 10 yrs later I'm still happy with that choice. But if I was making that choice today, I'd be domiciled in TX purely due to the lack of any acceptable nationwide private health coverage from SD insurers.

The only mistake you can make is basing your decision on someone else's preferences & priorities, instead of your own.

Don't ask which state is "best" because that answer is different for different people. Ask about the specific issues that concern you.

and my answer to your specific question, is that the state, counties and all 4 major mail services in SD all go out of their way to make registrations & renewals very easy to accomplish either in person or remotely. I have 10 registered vehicles and only 2 of them have ever been inside the state of SD.

Jim

With Escapees you have the option of Texas or Florida for domicile states and South Dakota is planned to be available soon. Each state has something to offer and the appeal of each varies based on the needs you have.

We badly wanted to be Texas residents but after seeking legal advice we decided we just couldn't risk it. We remained Arizona residents and suffered their taxes for several years before getting fed up and moving to SD.

Archived