Arizona Hwy 95 in an HDT

whatsnext

The most direct route from Quartzsite to Yuma is down 95 but it is not listed as an STAA road (approved for semi-truck travel).

Is it ok to use?

Any low overhead clearances? LOL. I know it's AZ but I had to ask!

Thanks

David

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

The most direct route from Quartzsite to Yuma is down 95 but it is not listed as an STAA road (approved for semi-truck travel).

Is it ok to use?

Thanks

David

David,

Very nice drive with nice desert views.

Army has the famous Yuma proving grounds on each side of the highway so sometimes might see some wierd vehicles off the side of the highway.

Just as you enter the irrigated farm land you will see a fairly big roadside veggie stand and open air cafe named THE FARM and it is located in a sweeping left turn in the highway....just pull off the side of the road and they have a couple acres of parking for BIG Rigs....last time we stopped we parked next to a heard of Army Tanks on lowboy and our rig was tiny compared to them. Most of the food served is grown on THE FARM so it is very fresh and the date shakes are made from dates grown on THE FARM....simply great.

Very nice drive.

Drive on.....(enjoy the drive...and THE FARM)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Whatsnext, the only problem with 95 between Q and Yuma would be a belly-gusher rain. There are dips that can flood the road and shut it down for a short time. Nothing I would worry about! Quitting time at the Proving Grounds which I think is 4 PM. slows traffic a bit coming into Fortuna RD. There is a road project for a coupe of miles north of Fortuna RD. but again, no problem.

Whatsnext, the only problem with 95 between Q and Yuma would be a belly-gusher rain. There are dips that can flood the road and shut it down for a short time. Nothing I would worry about! Quitting time at the Proving Grounds which I think is 4 PM. slows traffic a bit coming into Fortuna RD. There is a road project for a coupe of miles north of Fortuna RD. but again, no problem.

I would not be so quick to say "Nothing I would worry about"! No offense meant here, but I used to go south on 95 a few times of the year when I would join family and friends at Martinez Lake, north of Yuma in my formative years. Quite a few times we needed to stop on the "high road" in order to let the flood pass through! Nice clear day and great for a drive, or riding our dirt bikes, but if it was raining towards Phoenix then there was a pretty good chance there would be a gully washer in the low area. Many times on the Colorado River outside and south of Blythe, there would be campers set up in the "wash areas" right off the river. Never could imagine what they were thinking. Yes, a nice smooth flat area to set up camp, but there would be no notice of the flood coming and dumping into the river. So don't chance thinking it's just a little water across the road.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Is it ok to use?

Thanks

David

I thought you two were still playing with Mickey and Minnie? Are you already in AZ?

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I thought you two were still playing with Mickey and Minnie? Are you already in AZ?

LOL. We are still hanging with Mickey & Minnie but planning for Feb when head out west for Feb, Mar & April (until ECR).

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Jeff (beyerjf) was stating during his seminar at the HDT Rally that US93 (AZ) is not approved because it narrows in a specific section of highway, but he still travels this highway, We have also driven US93 with no problems. This may be the same for US95 (AZ). Of course, in desert areas, you have to be aware if excessive rain is forecasted because of the potential flash floods. AZ does have a Monsoon season.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Wow looks like Larry was taking notes. Thank you. The Rand McNally Motor Carrier road atlas has a pretty complete list of low underpasses for every state. They are gradually going the way of the phone booth, disappearing.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I'm surprised that US95 is not listed for semi travel. I have never had an issue with it and I drive it yearly. As an Arizonan for the last 60 years there are only a few state roads I would hesitate to travel in my Volvo with trailer attached. US89A from Prescott through Jerome, down through Cottonwood and then up and out of Oak Creek Canyon is a federal highway but its switchbacks coming down from Mingus Mountain and then up and out the north end of Oak Creek are pretty narrow and tight. Scenic beauty at its best, but stressful for a big rig and a couple of ultra tight switchbacks that might moisten the pants.

It would be useful to some of us to have a thread along the lines of Difficult Roads for Big Rigs. State and federal highways that present serious driving challenges to HDTs and trailers. For instance, US 199 leading out of Crescent City, California has a section along the Smith River that seems too tight and narrow for trucks and trailers. I've driven it several time, as there are no good alternatives, but I hate having to do it.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Wow looks like Larry was taking notes. Thank you. The Rand McNally Motor Carrier road atlas has a pretty complete list of low underpasses for every state. They are gradually going the way of the phone booth, disappearing.

Thanks Jeff. We have one and I did not refer to the low clearance section. I'll remember in the future to add that to my research.

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Archived