Olympic Peninsula- Suggestions for Campgrounds

apackof2

Hello,

I am currently in Lajitas, Texas but plan on going up to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington this coming late Spring/Summer.

Since I have never been there I would appreciate suggestions for campgrounds, full hooks or not. I have a small TT with small holding tanks so the longest I could do without full hook ups is 6-7 days.

Thanks!

Joan

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd.
"All who wander are not lost"

Are you an Escapee member? If yes, then the perfect place to stay is the Escapee Co-Op at Chimacum, WA. From there you can take your tow vehicle and tour all of the Olympic Peninsula, and catch a ferry over to Seattle for day excursions if you want, not to mention Port Townsend is just up the road.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We loved using Chimacum for a base of touring.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I see you are an Escapees Member. Go to Days End and download the latest list of free or low cost camping sites. There is a nominal charge of $15 for the download. If you provide several reports back to Days End each year the list is free for the next year.

I suggest staying at the Olympic NP campgrounds, especially, Hoh Rain Forest, and South Beach or Kalaloch CG's. Make reservations for Kalaloch early, it stays full much of the summer.

It is much nicer staying in the NF campgounds. You can see the sunset on the ocean from your front door, attend the ranger programs in the evening. Many times there are very informative day programs available, like ranger guided hikes. Not that you can't drive to take the hikes, but why drive round trip when you can camp right were the hike will be.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Hello,

I am currently in Lajitas, Texas but plan on going up to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington this coming late Spring/Summer.

Since I have never been there I would appreciate suggestions for campgrounds, full hooks or not. I have a small TT with small holding tanks so the longest I could do without full hook ups is 6-7 days.

Thanks!

Joan

You don't need to go to a RV park with full hookups to dump. There are lots of dump stations around and also places to fill you fresh water tank.

I hope you are able to spend some time in Big Bend National park while you are in the Lajitas, TX area. We hope to be in BB NP for about 2-3 weeks in late Jan and early Feb. This will be somewhere between our 20th to 25th visit to BB in the last 47 years.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I'll also recommend the Escapee park in Chimacum, WA at Port Townsend. It's an excellent location with lots to do in the area. It also has a wonderful dog park. On your way there there's also one in Sutherlin, Oregon.

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I too liked Evergreen-Coho Escapees park, but it is a long way from some attractions such as the Olympic NP. I suggest that you consider Salt Creek Recreation Area, a county park near Port Angeles.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'm glad to hear the recommendation for Salt Creek. We just reserved a week there for this August (2017). We are selling the house this spring and I retire the end of may. We are going across the north then swinging down the coast to winter in Texas.

Pat

2006 Chevy Duramax, DRW, ext cab, Long bed, Reese 18K hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo

Ham radio operator, WA3UOE

Just an obvious note for those that have never recently spent any time rving on the OP: Get reservations and get them early.... even for Evergreen. May to October is "high season" for the whole Olympic Peninsula and now that gas prices are still low, they are getting record numbers of visitors. Evergreen is often Full during these times and even the dry camp parking can get filled, too.

Also, be aware that rates fluctuate seasonally..... a lot. Sequim parks are a serious example of this seasonal gouging.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Make sure you do the logging tour in Forks. Hosted by former loggers you get to see different logging sights and a working mill. We saw elk end learned about timber production in the past as well as today.

Well worth while.

We also enjoyed Harry’s Ridge, Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument. 8 miles round trip; 200 feet gain. Best time: May through October

The best way to understand what happened at Mount St. Helens in 1980 is to walk in the path of the blast. This trail takes hikers from the crowded Johnston Ridge Observatory to a point overlooking stark Spirit Lake. Hikers can see the regrowth close-up and get views of the volcano and blast zone.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

Archived