What options should we order?

Labauer

We are going to the augusta rv factory in a few weeks for a tour and to order our first rv, the ambition. We will take delivery next summer so we can begin full-timing. On their website we can build an rv with options to get an idea of cost. We'd like opinions on some items we are contemplating. Thank you!

1. Rooftop satellite vs. one we set up

2. Keyless door entry

3. Slideout toppers

4. Day/night shades

5. Surge Protector

6. Wifi booster

7. 160 watt solar panel

8. Heat pumps on air conditioners

We are going to the augusta rv factory in a few weeks for a tour and to order our first rv, the ambition. We will take delivery next summer so we can begin full-timing. On their website we can build an rv with options to get an idea of cost. We'd like opinions on some items we are contemplating. Thank you!

2. Keyless door entry

3. Slideout toppers

4. Day/night shades

5. Surge Protector

6. Wifi booster

7. 160 watt solar panel

If I were starting out again, here's how I would answer.

1. I would definitely get a rooftop Traveler. I've been setting up a tripod for almost ten years and it's not that difficult, but it's just something extra to carry and to do. However, I do spend most my time in the sunny southwest where getting a clear view of the sky is not difficult.

2. Yes, something I wish I would have installed years ago.

3. I don't like them and have no use for them. I would spend the money on window awnings instead.

4. Definitely an asset.

5. Not just a surge protector, get a full EMS (electrical management system) built in to protect your electrical system.

6. No comment.

7. If you plan on spending any time off the grid. Some will advise to wait and have this done aftermarket by a reputable solar installer.

8. They are a feature which will save having to have small electric space heaters on board in mild winter climates, but I prefer the small electric heaters.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Not into watching a lot of TV so I would hold off on rooftop unit. Everything else including washer dryer are must haves. In the end budget plays a big part and you will get by regardless of which items you have.

Bob and Jenise

Class of 2016 Full timers :)

2008 Newmar Essex 45' 500hp ism towing Honda CRV awd

Every day you wake up is a good day!!!!

2. Keyless door entry

3. Slideout toppers

4. Day/night shades

5. Surge Protector

6. Wifi booster

7. 160 watt solar panel

Some of these are things you might really want, but would be better suited to choose "aftermarket" options best suited to your needs... and likely cheaper. Factory options I would go for:

#3, 4 and 8. The only one on your list that I wouldn't do at all is #2. Reliability issues can lock you out just as often as forgetting your keys. It's also easier to regain access with a standard key lock than it is getting around a keyless.

We don't know your camping habits or budget but from 16-years of full-timing - our opinion:

We definitely didn't want a washer/dryer. We dry camped a lot and it was easy for us just to go into the local town to do our laundry in 1-1/2 hours and not have to think about laundry for another 10-14 days. It seems folks with W/D do laundry daily - not for us.

Roof satellite: We didn't watch t.v. but others have stated you need to select you campsite carefully to be out of trees.

Keyless door entry: our key worked just fine

Slideout Toppers - we liked them and had no issues with them. They keep the slides clean of twigs, leaves when bringing them inside

Window Awnings as someone mentioned would be a #1 requirement for us. They keep a lot of sun out of the RV and add some privacy. These can easily be added later.

Day/Night Shades: You didn't mentioned what the standard was but yes, you'll need something on the windows and the night shades add privacy when the lights are on

Surge Protector - Yes, but do your research on the kind they offer. Perhaps you could get a better one for a better price on your own

Wifi Booster - there are so many options out there. Do your research and this blogger's site has articles on them: www.technomadia.com

160w panel - would help with dry camping. We had 300w and could dry camp forever in the West where sun is plentiful

Heat Pump - we didn't have

Best of luck to you as you plan for your new lifestyle!!! You'll have more questions, I'm sure. Visit often.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The only one on your list that I wouldn't do at all is #2. Reliability issues can lock you out just as often as forgetting your keys. It's also easier to regain access with a standard key lock than it is getting around a keyless.

I've never had one so I'm curious. How can you get locked out? It's my understanding that you can always use a key if the electronic part fails for whatever reason. Is that not true?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

My thoughts:

1. Yes. In six years of 50% of the year traveling have only run into a couple of situations where trees are a problem

2. No for reason stated above.

3. Absolutely. No one ever mentions the insulating effect of that shade. The chairs in our first fiver were in a slide. It was really hot on a sunny day, adding the topper reduced the interior tempo in the slide considerably.

4. should be standard

5. An EMS (not just a surge protector) is an absolute necessity!

6. Yes, but shop around for one that fits your needs, aftermarket probably a better choice. We love our WiFi Ranger. With so many WiFi devices these days it is really nice to only need to sign one device in on RV Park WiFi.

7. No experience, no opinion.

8. No opinion, our fiver has a cold weather package - 2 furnaces (one AC), dual pane windows, heated underbelly, extra insulation. We survived a night at 15 below and ten days of below zero temps one winter!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Based on 10 full time year years and no boondocking our suggestion, in addition to the washer/dryer, is also an auto leveling system such as Big Foot or Level Up if your going to be traveling much. We had a washer/dryer installed after 9 years of going to a laundry weekly which became a pain in the butt.

1. Yes. We enjoy watching DirecTV and the auto rooftop dish makes it so easy with nothing to store when

traveling. About once a year we are in trees and unable to use it so we watch recorded movies and

shows and the OTA antenna.

2. No, just something unneeded to break.

3 .We don't have any, I think the advantages are countered by disadvantages.....noise when windy and can

drop collecting water.

4. Yes, for reasons already mentioned.

5. Defiantly. Our built in Progressive Industries EMS (NOT just a surge protector) has protected us several

times from various power problems.

6. No, research what's out there as better ones come out every year. Campground WiFi in not dependable.

7. Depends on your camping style. We always use campgrounds or sites with AC power so don't need solar.

8. Yes. we use them in the winter in southern AL. No charge for power so less expensive that propane and

heats up fifth wheel much faster than small 1500 watt heaters but heat pumps are noisy so sometimes

use small space heaters once warmed up.

You didn't mention the suspension system. I think most RVs come with suspension systems that are pretty much maxed out. MOR/ryfe IS (Independent Suspension) and 17.5" H rated tries to me are a must have for reliability. I learned that the hard way. Also, disc brakes are more effective, reliable and longer lasting than drum brakes. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Things I wish I would have added are cord and water hose reels.Having them drop out of the bottom with just enough to reach outside would keep them cleaner and les exposed to the sun.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rather than slide toppers, I would get slide awnings. That's what we have and wouldn't be without them. They help with sun, help keep the slide top clean and the added privacy is priceless. The full awnings don't seem to be as noisy as just a topper and they also do not collect water in the rain. The full awning also provides some protection to parts of the seals from water/rain and sun.

Pat DeJong

Big yes on the big foot and a fantastic fan in the kitchen to exhaust kitchen fumes. have your unit wired for solar w/at least 6 gauge 4 is better and have am solar to somebody like them do the solar. ( I would call them first and get their recommendation on what else to have the mfg install for them) 2500 watt min inverter and residential frig w/its own 800 to 1000 watt inverter to use when going down the road or during the day. stay away from a domestic or norcold rv frig or any gas absorption frig . make the shades MCDs or equivalent, not the string shades. they will evenly be a PIA. We have 1600 watts of solar, not 160. More would be better.

good luck

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

I did not get one as I watch OTA with a DVR, plus if would want as few wholes in my roof. And some people say that the ones that you set up are better as sometimes you are parked under trees and a roof mounted dish will not pick up satellites.

2. Keyless door entry

Something else to break and carrying a key, a small key is easy.

3. Slideout toppers

I did not go with them and read mixed reviews on them.

4. Day/night shades

I have them and LOVE them and would get them for sure.

5. Surge Protector

For sure get it. I have a Progressive Industries EMS and a power management system installed. With all of the sensitive electronics on these rigs, you need to protect them. It has shut my coach down when the CG was having power issues. Some people also go as far as getting an autoformer installed also.

6. Wifi booster

I got one, and it is personal preference and depends on how much you surf the web. Over time, it is not an expensive option.

7. 160 watt solar panel

Depends on what type of Camping you plan on doing. But then the battery bank and your consumption needs come in play to your decision.

I did not as I chase warm weather and winter south. Plus I think replacing them in the future will also cost you a bit more. I carry a radiator, $60 with me for cool night or just turn on the furnace if needed. It would take me MANY YEARS in propane costs to spend that extra money. I know of a lot of people that installled cheap heat instead of having it with the AC units.

Invest in any suspension upgrades as they are the foundation of your rig, I upgraded to the moryde IS. And depending on your TV you might want to add to inch risers as newer pickups are very tall. I got a gas over and stove and it SUCKS, I wish I just got the 2 burner electric stove top. Best of luck.

Answered your questions below each one.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Please make double sure you check the weights on the trailer very carefully....both estimated empty and the best guess when loaded.

This manufacturer is making some nice trailers but they are very heavy with not much extra capacity.

If you are going to order the above mentioned optional items you might do yourself a favor and just order a Luxe

instead of an Ambition.

If you are serious TV viewers you will need both. Trees are a mojor factor unless you are camping in the west. We are from the east where trees are always an issue and sometimes can't even set up a tripod. Make sure you are prewired for the roof system as a minimum.

2. Keyless door entry

Waste of money. Too many problems with them.

3. Slideout toppers

Love them. Keep the tops of the slides clean, helps a lot with the heat. Can be a bit noisy in high wind but changing location can rectify that.

4. Day/night shades

We have MCD shades and love them. Never had them before and always took out what shades we had and out in blinds so we could have better air circulation. We salso have tinted thermopanes. Much quieter.

5. Surge Protector

Well worth it but get an EMS.

6. Wifi booster

You can wait on that to see if you really need one. These are at all price levels depending on your requirements.

7. 160 watt solar panel

We always get a solar panel after market. I would do some price comparison as to before market vs. after market. Our primary use for it is to keep the battery charged when in storage.

Came with ours, I wouldn't have ordered but we find they are great for the in between season. We have found if we run the bedroom one, keeping the fan on all the time, the temps in the LR is just about perfect and we don't have all the noise. We really don't like all the noise of the AC or the hot air furnace so we had a propane line run to connect a Mr. Heater for our heat. Not much we can do when using the AC.

you can always use a key if the electronic part fails for whatever reason. Is that not true?

True. However, it becomes an issue if folks learn to rely on their keyless entry and stop carrying a key, or neglect to store one elsewhere that's accessible if the lock fails (or remembering where the heck you stuck it 1 1/2 ago ;-)). In that case a locksmith would be required. "Stock" locks... it's cheap and easy. Chances are one of your CG neighbors or a local RV dealer will have a key that will open your door.

Keyless entry panel locks are hard to come by. Replacements generally have to be shipped from the MFG.

To each their own, but for me, 2gysies put it best. "our key worked just fine"

"You didn't mention the suspension system. I think most RVs come with suspension systems that are pretty much maxed out. MOR/ryfe IS (Independent Suspension) and 17.5" H rated tries to me are a must have for reliability. I learned that the hard way. Also, disc brakes are more effective, reliable and longer lasting than drum brakes." Greg

2X You need to have wheels and tires that can support the load. Just because the trailer might be a high end trailer does not say they have the right wheels and tires on it. The trailer needs to have good bones about it. I would think twice about using a never lube bearing. To me they are a limited use bearing. A bearing that can be serviced is not a bad thing. There are a few stories out there about the failure of a never lube bearing.

Also think about the big foot leveling system.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

2. Keyless door entry

3. Slideout toppers

4. Day/night shades

5. Surge Protector

6. Wifi booster

7. 160 watt solar panel

1. We have the Winegard Traveler for Dish Network and love the ease of setup. Very seldom do we have a problem with trees, partly because we do lots of dry camping/boondocking. We also spend lots of time in the boondocks where OTA TV is much to far away to get a signal. As long as you can see the satellite you can get TV. We got TV reception about 90 miles above the arctic circle in far northern Alaska.

2. others answered much better that I could. Both pro & con.

3. Yes. They keep the sun off of the slideout when you are in warm or hot sunshine.

3A. You didn't ask, but window awnings for all the windows are a must. They not only keep the hot sun from shinning in but in the rain when it is warm you can keep the windows open.

4. Yes

5. Others have given good answers

6. No for WiFi booster, but you really do want to have a cell phone booster/amplifier (something like WeBoost. Go to http://www.technomadia.com/ for info) if you venture out in the boondocks.

7. 160 watts of solar will only keep your batteries charged if you have light usage, i.e. NO: microwave, coffee pot, toaster, or satellite TV for a few to several hours a day. Better is 400-600 watts of solar from after market installers along with 400-600 amp hours of batteries. However if you almost always stay in places with electric hookups, then you really don't need solar. A 1000 watt or 2000 watt Honda generator works fine. BTW we dry camp/boondock extensively and have 400 amp hours of lithium batteries, 650 watts of solar, 2000 watt inverter and pretty much use elect power off the grid the same way we do with elect hookups. Last summer we spent 4 1/2 months through Canada and in Alaska and only had elect hookups for 2 days. That is not for everyone, but it is great to have absolutly no need for elect hookups. We park and go wherever we want and almost never make reservations.

8. When you use the heat pumps you have the noise of the AC unit on the roof running. Elect space heaters and/or catalytic propane heaters are what we use. Again if you don't dry camp/boondock, then you don't need the catalytic heater.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

The more "stuff" you put into a coach the more "stuff" there is to break, and to maintain.

First coach I had (Jayco Designer) did not have Level Up. IIRC, there were only 2 campgrounds I stayed in that I needed to use the two 2x12 boards I carried to level. In other words, most sites are pretty close to level already.

I ordered the Level Up on the second coach I had (Heartland Cyclone). On at least 2 occasions the system choked and it took time to get the thing sorted out. I was not pleased.

3rd/current coach (Lifestyle Alfa Gold) had Level Up as a forced option. It has choked a couple times, but was an easy fix. The "brain" of the system stopped working and Lippert replaced it under warranty, even though the warranty expired a week or so prior. Since I installed the new controller, I have had no issues with it.

Level Up is an expensive option that does not add much value, to me. BUT, it seems most large 5ers have it AND it may or may not be a deal killer when you decide to sell your coach in a few years. IF you get it, the remote control is a GREAT item.

Had slide toppers on the first coach. Never again. Yes, I have had to climb on the roof to sweep leaves, acorns, etc off slides prior to moving. I am still young and flexible enough to do that. I do not believe toppers provide much of a heat insulating benefit. Consider how much space on the top is exposed versus the massive size of the slide wall.

Never off the grid so never need solar. Wife loves her washer/dryer combo. Toss a load in on our way out and it is clean and dry when we return in a few hours. I don't know if she likes the residential fridge or washer more. Probably the fridge.

If you get the rooftop satellite, remember to ask for an open site when you make reservations. Tall trees can block the signal. Since it is a fixed dish, you need clear line of sight.

BTW, make sure you have the right truck to STOP the weight of the heavy 5er.

I consider Auto Leveling a must and a Generator is nice but added to weight.

Yes Make sure you have adequate tires and suspension for the maybe 3,000 pounds of storage and that depends on your hobbies.

If you plan to buy quality furniture ( Good Leather) that is added later ensure that is added to your payload.

The hitch either on your tow vehicle or FW should a air suspension.

Last but not least the slide toppers are not worth the money unless your going use them as sun shades over your slides ( they always pool water especially if 8 - 10 foot or longer)

Clay

2016 MS 38PS3

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

While at Augusta ask about the special they are running right now which includes some of the options your asking about. They set me a email with the offer, pm if you like and I can forward it to you.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Archived