TPMS

Shallow Draft

During a 1800 mile trip from AZ to Alberta I had a trailer tire destroyed. The tire was new and G rated. I checked pressures before I left AZ and all were good. I can only assume that the tire picked up an object and went flat. I did not notice it until the tire was destroyed. You don't have to replace many of these tires to pay for a TPMS. Which in this case I feel would have notified me early enough to save the tire.

What is the best system? considerations as to dependability, ability to add sensors , battery life, availability and cost.

As always thanks for the advice.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

I use Truck System Technologies (TST). Have the 510 (long term non-changeable batteries)on my trailer and 507 (replaceable batteries) on truck. Great customer service. If you do order consider going ahead and get repeater for $59 so you don't have drop outs. Very pleased so far.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Shallow Draft,

Take a look in the market place. There is a used unit for sale. It looks like it was posted today. I do not know how old the sensors are. It is a TST 510. It is in the used equipment section. I hope this helps.

Al

TST -510RV Tire Monitor System

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Good price . sold already.

Thanks for the lead . That would have been well worth the price.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

It would be great if more people would read your story here and pay attention to the fact that you could pick up something 2 minutes after testing the air in your tires, and without a TPMS, you won't know it until its too late. Yes, loss of pressure alarm would have saved that tire.

We use the "other" brand - Pressure Pro - and have had them since 2009. Just ready now to replace most of the sensors, and I'm OK with that.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

You can be diligent and check the tire pressure before leaving. And then thump the tires every time you stop.

But only a TPMS can check your ties while your are moving.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The other great benefit I see is that even if you still lose the tire there should be time to stop before it totally comes apart and takes out half the trailer wall or floor.

I have 2 friends this year do serious damage to the trailers when they had a tire failure.

Didn't Jack loose one even with a TPS

He did. And the Springfields lost one as well without any indication (though it was holding air--tread separation). A TPMS only tells you pressure (sometimes temperature)--not that everything is OK--and only if it's working reliably.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

We use the "other" brand - Pressure Pro - and have had them since 2009. Just ready now to replace most of the sensors, and I'm OK with that.

We use the "other" , other brand, Duran. www.doranmfg.com/aboutus04.htm

So far, it's worked well, with no repeater.

I chose it because it's a local company, based about 20 miles from me.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I don't think anything will protect you from a catastrophic failure, but it is a form of additional insurance. On my Redwood Forum there are too many stories of tire failure and the descriptions of destruction that had been done to the side of these RVs are unbelievable.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Prior knowledge of press loss and a warn will give you time to get off road and investigate do to hopefully avoid a total loss of tire

A tread separation will not be picked up unless the tire deflates

A blowout will give immediate warn. So you can stop hopefully to avoid trailer and wheel damage.

I had two blowouts in the sidewalls that I saw warn and what tire and I was able to stop and no damage. Tires were intact and only blow out in the sidewall.

I would not be without a TPMS

Pressure pro and TST are both good quality and great service from companies. I like the ease of setup and portability and temp display of the TST. Also price.

For sure need repeater on TST on HDT rigs.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Thanks to all. Great info and so many choices. I have sent a few emails requesting more info and costs.

Are there any forum members that are dealers for any of the systems?

TST uses GE Circuitry in their monitors and double insulated cap sensors for durability. TST is engineered to keep up with the trucking industry, like 90,000 mile a year rigs, so our RV mileage is nothing for it to keep up with. The TST 507 has user replaceable batteries in the sensors, and the TST 510 has 5 year batteries in the sensors.These systems not only alert you to high and low PSI, but if your tire temp gets above 158 degrees it will alarm you. This would usually be an indication of brakes or bearing locking up. TechnoRV has great installation videos and learning series on these so that you totally understand your system. They are usually priced the lowest too.

LJ

I am not sold on them yet. I have had two tire failures which both resulted in camper damage. But they were tire separation, never lost air. I replaced the whole set then. No problems after that. With Teton tires were junk when I got it. Changed to XPS Michelin, no more problems.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Didn't Jack loose one even with a TPS

I DID. And it was because my PressurePro was so flaky that it would drop out for periods of time. During that time I lost the tire. What are the chances? (Well in THIS case 100%) That little adventure cost me $425 for a new tire, and the cost of the TST I switched to I categorize under "peace of mind".

There is no 100% guarantee - but a TPMS gives you pretty good odds.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks to all. This site is amazing.

I just ordered the TST system. Now waiting for the post office to deliver.

I have had a tire traker since 2009 and will not be without one. I lost a tire before I got it and the damage was $1200 in the side of the trailer. Since then it has told me about air loss in time to get stopped. The only time it failed me was a catastrophic failure. I actually saw the blow out in the mirror,heard the boom and then the monitor went off.

This is an item that is MUCH CHEAPER to just believe us about and buy one than it is to learn for yourself and then go buy one. Just saying.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I am not sold on them yet. I have had two tire failures which both resulted in camper damage. But they were tire separation, never lost air. I replaced the whole set then. No problems after that. With Teton tires were junk when I got it. Changed to XPS Michelin, no more problems.

Glenn,

Just a short question but how old was your trailer when you had you tire failures on your tires? And do you have any idea of millage on them? And what is the tire size?

Not flaming just a question.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

It was the first camper, a DRV, we bought. They were only 3 years old but I knew nothing about the history on them. First trip and second trip, tire separation. They were Goodyear 16" and they were having problems at the time. Replaced all tires with same new and never a problem after that. Our Teton had Goodyear Marathon on them and soon as I towed it to rv park to tranfer our stuff from DRV a large bulge came on one. Replaced with junk tire and towed it to Discount Tire and had Michelin XPS put on. Never a problem since.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

It is rare to have an issue with an XPS. I also ran them for many years - and they were within 300lbs of their rating. I think I put a total of over 100K on two sets. ON a triple axle that is a little hard on them. I really like the XPS if they meet the weight requirements.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

It is rare to have an issue with an XPS. I also ran them for many years - and they were within 300lbs of their rating. I think I put a total of over 100K on two sets. ON a triple axle that is a little hard on them. I really like the XPS if they meet the weight requirements.

We are 15kish on axles. Have a heavy pin. Intend to weigh it again soon as I want weights with the Freightliner.

You're entitled to your opinion. Can't just bank on history though.

Archived