Over Length

JPL

Talking about Over Length. We saw 2 of these crossing into TX from LA today. I suppose the word is out about Houston. ;)

They were probably heading for Royal Purple raceway in Baytown. If they were coming "from" Louisiana then they never got to me. I do know 3 of their buddies that are very unhappy with me and a DPS trooper though. He got 1 and I got 2. Racers hate me :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Well, pulled tape today. 66' long. Didn't include the ladder. That would be about 8" more. Truck is 29'.

Don't you mean 64' 11 7/8" ;)

From what I hear, it doesn't matter if it's 66' or 75' in Texas. :)

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

If you are over, you are over. One inch and you are done.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

And I have plenty of company.

You sure do. My attitude is to not worry about it until I have to. Eventually, there will probably be a crackdown, but that is far into the future IMO. When that time comes, I'll deal with it.

It is not just HDTs that are overlength. I counted what I considered "overlength" combos in the drive from TX to CO this trip. When I got to 100 I stopped. I could have been wrong on some of them, but in guessing I was conservative...so I probably missed some that should have been counted. There are a LOT of DP motorhomes out there that are over....a LOT.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

After reading this thread I must ask a few questions. If the longest allowable length is 65' and you are 68' and your involved in a major accident what is your insurance company going to do? Do they pay the claim and then drop you or do they refuse to pay the claim because you are driving an illegal over length vehicle that They decide was the determining factor in said accident? What is your liability? We have been looking for a HDT but now I think I will due a little more research into personal liability before I pull the trigger.

Rick

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

I was really thinking more along the lines of personal liability. If you are purposely breaking the law by having a combined length longer then allowed and are involved in a major accident (major meaning injuries) and cited at the time of said accident for your length, be it a determining factor or not, is that extra 2 feet worth being sued over? I think it would fall into the same category as being over weight. If you rear end someone be thier fault (they pull out in front of you) or your fault (following to close) and you are over weight you will be held responsible and someone else will end up with your retirement.

I am not saying that this will happen but this thread and the cavalier attitude of do it until you get caught are until they inforce it, just made me stop and think about our plans of a 5' longer RV and a HDT.

Like Pat said I'm not going to worry about 2' until I have too. Maybe Big5er has some input. I'm not a lawyer I am just someone who worked hard for I have and I don't want to give it to someone else because my 40' fifth wheel was just a little cramped.

2 Great Danes

There are hundreds of us if not more. Think it would have happened already if it is

I am thinking along those same lines Glenn. I was just thinking out loud and looking for an answer. Like I said the thread just made me wonder not what will happen but what could happen. I don't want anyone to take offense to what I am going to say here but, there is always someone looking to put thier hand in your pocket and take what you have. I just don't want to make it any easier for them to get it because I really do want that other 5' and a HDT pull it with.

Rick

2 Great Danes

I do not know of a single person that was not paid out because they were overweight or over length. I do know of one person that was grossly overweight on an older F350 SRW that was refused to be paid by the insurance company when he CAUSED an accident because of the weight. (Ran a stoplight). But he filed suit and the insurance company settled. That was one incident in (I think) 2001. But it was pretty egregious - I think he was overloaded by something like 12,000 lbs.

I don't think anyone has a cavalier attitude about being over length. Clearly, the rig is safe (assuming it is maintained and driven to specifications). And that is more the issue than "legal".

IMO, if you are involved in a major accident - or even a minor one - your odds of being sued are very high, regardless of what your equipment is. That is why we have a large umbrella policy. Anyone that has assets of any type should have the expanded protection of the Umbrella policy. IMO. That is also the reason we always run a dash camera. In fact I'm planing to expand the system to a 360* recording (around the truck/trailer). Mainly for liability purposes. And that has nothing to do with being over length. But everything to do with protecting assets.

BTW, most 40' 5ths are going to be over if you use a larger HDT and carry a smart. So going larger on the trailer is not really in the cards for you. You could certainly squeeze in a 40' 5th without the smart, though. You may be better off going to a 42' motorhome....but that will be very cramped, Going to a 45' MH may work, but with the tow bar and car you may be over...or not....just depends on the vehicle. Many of the large MHs ARE over because of the toad size.

www.jackdanmayer.com

After reading this thread I must ask a few questions. If the longest allowable length is 65' and you are 68' and your involved in a major accident what is your insurance company going to do? Do they pay the claim and then drop you or do they refuse to pay the claim because you are driving an illegal over length vehicle that They decide was the determining factor in said accident? What is your liability? We have been looking for a HDT but now I think I will due a little more research into personal liability before I pull the trigger.

Rick

Rick, Length laws vary by state. In MN we can be 75' long. So if I was that long (I am not) and my insurance was based in MN (it is), I would hope that would not be an issue. The question gets further complicated that just because you are legal in one state for length you may not be legal in another state if you are traveling through. You are subject to their length laws just like their speed limits.

If you are at fault in the accident then yes that illegal length could be looked at as the cause and make the insurance have to pay more. But has others have said they typically would still pay, just like if you were speeding, or had a taillight out, being over width because your smart car is on the HDT or any other issues. Of course after an accident it may be hard to even measure the original length as you might be a few feet shorter now.

Our feeling is if they allow a commercial vehicle to be that length why should they limit the lengths of RV's. Probably it is to keep the LGT's to a reasonable length.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I'm all for the HDT and a longer unit just wanted to know after finding this thread if anyone had heard of or been involved in any trouble over thier length. I believe in CYA so the more I no going in the better I feel.

Thanks for the input and the increase in my knowledge.

Rick

2 Great Danes

I do not know of a single person that was not paid out because they were overweight or over length. I do know of one person that was grossly overweight on an older F350 SRW that was refused to be paid by the insurance company when he CAUSED an accident because of the weight. (Ran a stoplight). But he filed suit and the insurance company settled. That was one incident in (I think) 2001. But it was pretty egregious - I think he was overloaded by something like 12,000 lbs.

I don't think anyone has a cavalier attitude about being over length. Clearly, the rig is safe (assuming it is maintained and driven to specifications). And that is more the issue than "legal".

IMO, if you are involved in a major accident - or even a minor one - your odds of being sued are very high, regardless of what your equipment is. That is why we have a large umbrella policy. Anyone that has assets of any type should have the expanded protection of the Umbrella policy. IMO. That is also the reason we always run a dash camera. In fact I'm planing to expand the system to a 360* recording (around the truck/trailer). Mainly for liability purposes. And that has nothing to do with being over length. But everything to do with protecting assets.

BTW, most 40' 5ths are going to be over if you use a larger HDT and carry a smart. So going larger on the trailer is not really in the cards for you. You could certainly squeeze in a 40' 5th without the smart, though. You may be better off going to a 42' motorhome....but that will be very cramped, Going to a 45' MH may work, but with the tow bar and car you may be over...or not....just depends on the vehicle. Many of the large MHs ARE over because of the toad size.

I will go to 45' with a HDT. The info given here by those that have the experience was what I wanted to know. If no one here has had any problems then that is good for me. MH I don't think so.

2 Great Danes

In fact I'm planing to expand the system to a 360* recording (around the truck/trailer). Mainly for liability purposes. And that has nothing to do with being over length. But everything to do with protecting assets.

This is the project I am just finishing up on this weekend.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

There is a large difference between not being legal and not safe. My HDT is designed to tow more weigh and longer length than I am. Also a commercial trailer has the axles at the back of the trailer. Ours are mid trailer. We can very easily be out of balance (too little pin weight) which is more dangerous than either over length or over weight. It would be difficult for the insurance co to say my rig was unsafe due to either when it is designed for greater than I am. As an insurance adjuster, we are not in the business of measuring the length or weight of vehicles to determine if they were over. We were tasked with determining loss so the insurance co can pay it out. Usually they will use the police report to determine fault. It costs too much to perform their own investigation and if it differs from the police report, they may be looking at a major lawsuit.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived