Which chapter test on for Texas Calss a/ found Chapter 14

GlennWest

In Collin County. Like I said I did not have to know how to perform the test for the test but the truck itself had to pass the test. In other words the examiner made sure the truck was road worthy prior to giving me the driving part of the test.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Glenn,

Study the air brake portion of the test. Make a cheat sheet with bullet points and put it on your visor. Do the test every time you drive the truck - I do it each day when hitting the road, but not after stops for the day. It is simply part of my "morning" get-ready. Along with using the tire monitor display to check all the tires, and other stuff, which I won't go into here.

It is CRITICAL that you do the brake test every day of driving. I'm not kidding - you want to be safe, and it will help you catch stuff. This is not a pickup.

I've never heard of an issue with doing the test "out of class" in Livingston. Danielle and I both did, and it was not an issue. That does not mean it could not happen, though.

Make sure you don't curb the trailer. If you do, you will fail.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks, Jack. I'm leaning. Bear with me. The air leak puzzles me. Bad enough to leak completely down in same day yet can't hear it and soap didn't find it. But on second thought, my hearing is upper high tone deaf. Too much ringing.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, something you can try to help hear the air leaks is to get a piece of 1/2" vinyl tubing and hold one end to your ear (which ever is the better one) and move the other end around poking it near fittings or where you suspect a leak.

Or buy (or borrow) an Inficon Whisper.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Hi Glenn - I'm going to pile on and natter at you with my standard "If you drive any vehicle or machine with air brakes please take a course and understand how to operate the system whether you are "required to" or not..." :D

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Hi Glenn - I'm going to pile on and natter at you with my standard "If you drive any vehicle or machine with air brakes please take a course and understand how to operate the system whether you are "required to" or not..." :D

You don't have to take a course, IMO, but you do have to have the knowledge. Most of the CDL handbooks have a pretty good chapter. You should also carry the air system flowcharts with you for YOUR truck. That will help you diagnose stuff roadside, should that ever be required. Lets hope you never need that, though.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived