Which chapter test on for Texas Calss a/ found Chapter 14

GlennWest

First let me apologize for asking this. I searched and answer didn't come up. Know I have read this but my brain is on tilt today. Which chapter done I need to concentrate on. Testing in about a week.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

For a class A cdl, you will need most of the book.

General section, air brakes, trailers.

Most of the questions are from the general section.

And the alcohol and drug part i skipped over.

Not school bus section, not doubles or tanks.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

I did not see it specified in the post, but Class a should be the same so far as i can tell. No commercial reg stuff in the book that i have seen except maybe alcohol section. All about truck and how to drive.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Unless prohibited by the Commercial Driver License Act, the holder of a valid driver license may drive all vehicles in the class for which that license is issued and all lesser classes except motorcycles and mopeds.

Classified Driver License

Class A, B, C, and M driver licenses are issued to individuals who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license (CDL) or who are not required to obtain a CDL.

NOTE: Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL may still be required to obtain a Class A or Class B driver license if the type of vehicle driven meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.

Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use

Some farmers who meet certain criteria

Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs

A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator

Military vehicle operators

Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier

For more information on exemptions, please refer to the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook.

Says to go to cdl book. Same chapters should apply, unless there is a secret decoder ring that comes with dr. Pepper.

Vehicle over 2601 lbs, air brakes, trailer

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

I took main part and the lady said i was the first she ever saw pass on first try. I missed a bunch, and must have just barely passed.

When i upgraded, they said the same at a different office.

It is not simple.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Glenn- it is chapter 14. The test is 20 questions and you need 14 to pass. The test will ask a question and show a picture. The picture will in most cases give you a hint as to the answer.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Thank you. I was aware of that. I am hoping for a week wait minimum. Is that day dreaming in technicolor?

When I took and passed the written Class A test here in Hidalgo County, as I recall it they told me what days the driving test for Class A & B licenses, both Exempt and CDL, were offered at that Drivers License Center. I don't recall being given a particular date on which I had to return. While there's likely a practical limit to how long you can wait, I don't think that deferring it for a week or so will be a problem at all.

You're right about the information in the CDL manual, too. While I concentrated on Chapter 14, I read it all the way through and found many useful bits of information, and was glad that I'd taken the time to read the entire manual.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Chapter 14. Most of it is pretty much common sense. 20 Questions total. Once you answer 14 correctly (70%) you have passed and the test will stop. Then you schedule the driving test for another day. You like up to 3 or 6 months between taking the written then having to take the driving before you have to start the whole process all over again.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

No cdl guys.

Doesn't matter in Texas. The difference between CDL/A and DL/A in Texas is the price per year and the USES of vehicles you drive. You cannot drive a commercially-used vehicle with a DL; you must have a CDL. Otherwise, the licenses are the same, because the vehicles are conceptually the same.

Doesn't matter in Texas. The difference between CDL/A and DL/A in Texas is the price per year and the USES of vehicles you drive. You cannot drive a commercially-used vehicle with a DL; you must have a CDL. Otherwise, the licenses are the same, because the vehicles are conceptually the same.

Yes and what does that have to do with me? I am not commercial. But you can drive one with a class c until you get caught at least. That is what I'm doing until I can get to Texas.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

It makes a difference to the examiner, though. The exam for a Class A Exempt doesn't, for some reason, include testing on the operator's knowledge of a pre-trip inspection or the air brake system, while a CDL/A candidate must demonstrate both prior to taking the driving test.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

That's because in Texas, airbrakes are solely a "commercial" vehicle thing. No completing the airbrake portion of the test will get you a restriction "L" - Vehicle without air brakes (for vehicles requiring CDL) - on your CDL. That restriction is not applicable on a DL. Strange but true.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Yes and what does that have to do with me? I am not commercial. But you can drive one with a class c until you get caught at least. That is what I'm doing until I can get to Texas.

I'm going to attempt to ignore any possible harshness in your question. I answered with respect to Texas because this topic (that you started) asks what to study for a Texas Class A license exam. I used to live in Texas, moving into TX with a Pennsylvania CDL/A+TN, and volunteered with several fire departments where an "Exempt" Class B (the typical way to explain to people that you had a non-commercial big vehicle/combination license) was the minimum to drive several rigs, so I'm rather familiar with what lots of people had to do to get qualified to drive trucks. I humbly apologize if I was mistaken about the air brake qualifications not being necessary on the DL/A exam, but thankfully several other folks chimed in with that information. For your own safety and the safety of others around you, though, I'd suggest you take the time to learn the air brake stuff anyway.

By the way, you probably can't drive an HDT into the examining center with just a class C. I know when I first went for my license that showing up without a valid driver was an automatic fail. Hopefully a B permit is sufficient; otherwise you may need to ask around for a warm B-body to join you.

I didn't mean to be harsh. You used the word "can't" and I just couldn't let that go. No hurt intended. I do appreciate everyone's help. I will drive Smart to take test. When driving test freightliner and my home in tow will be there with me driving it. This has come up a lot on forum and no one has reported a problem. I have been tow with wrong license for years. We were well over 26k with dually and Teton.

By the way, you probably can't drive an HDT into the examining center with just a class C. I know when I first went for my license that showing up without a valid driver was an automatic fail. Hopefully a B permit is sufficient; otherwise you may need to ask around for a warm B-body to join you.

I was not asked how I got the truck/trailer to the testing facility. I did have somebody with me with a CDL in case I was asked but was not.

As for the air brakes, I was NOT tested on my knowledge of performing a air brake test but the truck itself had to pass the air brake test before the test began.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Archived