Finally Found a Truck

VegasFlyer

Well after many months of searching, looking and inspecting, we finally found a truck that met what we were looking for.

We just closed a deal on a 2008 VNL64T780. The truck has a D13 engine and an I-Shift transmission.

Prior to purchase, we used the folks at National Inspection Services and had it Dyno tested. It passed with flying colors, which was refreshing considering a lot of other trucks we had looked at which appeared good in thier ads.

My charming DW and I will be flying out Friday night and picking it up on Saturday.

We will try and post a few photos tonight and after we pick it up on our road trip home.

John

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Congratulations John.

You've done all the right things to make a good decision. I was telling your DW that she would love the 780 like my bride does, and you are going to like the I-shift from what I hear.

Safe travels this weekend.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Congratulations John.

You've done all the right things to make a good decision. I was telling your DW that she would love the 780 like my bride does, and you are going to like the I-shift from what I hear.

Safe travels this weekend.

Thanks Rocky!

Speaking of my DW, she was up til late lat night pouring over your policy and is planning on calling you later today. We just received a quote for the new truck and our current Toyhauler so it was interesting to compare the two.

The I shift was a definite "want" item when we were looking. This will be the first automated transmission for me and to be honest, a few years ago I would have not even considered one, I was a devout lover of the 13 speed Road Ranger! Lol

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Congrats!

Where are you traveling too to pick it up?

Don't forget to make your reservations for the WCR!

Safe travels.

Thanks Mr. S!

Ironically enough, we are picking up the truck in Boise.

We are trying to manipulate our schedules to be able to drive back up to Idaho for the rally. It would be grat to meet some of the folks on here.

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

YEA!!! Congrats John

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Congrats John and look forward to the pictures.

If you're not familiar with the particulars of managing the Volvo display and I-Shift, Gregg has a couple great Volvo training videos on his YouTube channel.

Video 1 - Volvo VN Series - Interior Features and Operation

Video 2 - Volvo VN Series - Exterior and Driving

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Congrats John and look forward to the pictures.

If you're not familiar with the particulars of managing the Volvo display and I-Shift, Gregg has a couple great Volvo training videos on his YouTube channel.

Thanks Jim, those videos do have a lot of great info....

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Very nice ride John....considering your previous gig what will your call sign be....."780 Heavy"?

Drive on......(780 Heavy lookin good)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Congratulations. I hope you can work it out to attend the WCR.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks everyone!

It has been (fun?) looking at so many trucks, but not as much fun as it will be to get back behind the wheel.

Guess I will have to update my signature.....lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Well we made it home with no major issues.

Ironically we did get a "Check Fuel Filter" indication on the last hill prior to getting home, though the truck never hesitated. The truck has the normal fuel filter on the left side of the engine, along with an inverted secondary in front of the passenger side steer tire. I will need to check with the dealer to see whether they changed either of the fuel filters when they did the service just prior to s picking up the truck.

Being a used truck there is already a list of little things that I will get to play with to get it up to my satisfaction. Then as we all know, that is half the fun of owning one of these beasts.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Well we made it home with no major issues.

Ironically we did get a "Check Fuel Filter" indication on the last hill prior to getting home, though the truck never hesitated. The truck has the normal fuel filter on the left side of the engine, along with an inverted secondary in front of the passenger side steer tire. I will need to check with the dealer to see whether they changed either of the fuel filters when they did the service just prior to s picking up the truck.

Being a used truck there is already a list of little things that I will get to play with to get it up to my satisfaction. Then as we all know, that is half the fun of owning one of these beasts.

I don't want to scare you, but I think I'm about to. My "Check Fuel Filter" light was the result of the system losing pressure. In my case, it was due to a bad injector. Hopefully, yours will be a fuel filter. Mine drove fine as well.

While idling, idle the truck up using the cruise control stalk (slide cruise on/off button to the left). That will raise the RPM's slightly. When doing that on my truck, it was an evident idle surge.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

It should be on the service record - they gave you a sheet, right? If in doubt, change them - at least you know where you stand. And hopefully it is not an injector.

I will need to check with the dealer to see whether they changed either of the fuel filters when they did the service just prior to s picking up the truck.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

It should be on the service record - they gave you a sheet, right? If in doubt, change them - at least you know where you stand. And hopefully it is not an injector.

They are sending me the service sheet, the Service Manager had it in his office and was off when I picked up the truck.

I agree, it is not a major investment to swap out fuel filters and have the start of a base line.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

I don't want to scare you, but I think I'm about to. My "Check Fuel Filter" light was the result of the system losing pressure. In my case, it was due to a bad injector. Hopefully, yours will be a fuel filter. Mine drove fine as well.

While idling, idle the truck up using the cruise control stalk (slide cruise on/off button to the left). That will raise the RPM's slightly. When doing that on my truck, it was an evident idle surge.

Brit,

What were the circumstances that would trigger the light for you (hills and hard pulls or idling or ?)

Hopefully our trucks are not THAT much alike, BUT, that's what goes with owning one of these chariots.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Brit,

What were the circumstances that would trigger the light for you (hills and hard pulls or idling or ?)

Hopefully our trucks are not THAT much alike, BUT, that's what goes with owning one of these chariots.

My issues only started at the Rally (mostly). I only saw the "check fuel filter" warning once during a drive into town. It never came back. There wasn't anything that stuck out in my mind that would have caused the light. I was bobtail.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I got the Service Order and it indicates that they changed both fuel filters.

HOWEVER, when I researched the Davco site, I found a service manual that shows after you change the filter and let the truck idle for a few minutes, you need to open the vent cap and let the fuel level go down until the fuel level is about an inch from the bottom of the filter.

The one on my truck is filled to the top. I saw it when I did my check right when it came out of service and thought it was supposed to be full (Like most filters....lol).

The mystery will be delayed until next weekend because I am at the airport headed out on business until Friday.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Archived