Blogging on the road

dorrph

We are getting ready to leave in 5 weeks for the open road. I would like keep in contact with friends and them with me. Has anyone found a blog platform that is easy to use? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks for your comments.

Also, I can't seem to put up a picture inner profile. Is there a trick to this?

Also, I can't seem to put up a picture inner profile. Is there a trick to this?

Do you mean you want a picture for your avatar? If so just go to your profile and locate the "Edit My Profile" button and click on it. Under General Account Settings the first item is "Change My Photo."

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You might take a look at TripJournal . I find it easy to use, it allows easy integration of a map of your travels and your photos with your journal entry. If you pay for the full feature version they will send you a DVD periodically so you have a permanent record of your Journal. The downside is you don't have as much flexibility as you would with full-featured blogging software.

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

We use Wordpress and find it easy. So far it has been free but in another year I think we will run out of free space and need to pay for additional even though the fee is minimal.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

I have tried to get a picture in several times, but the response is always the picture is too big.

That means that you need to use a smaller photo. I believe that the size suggested is 100 X 100 pixels. Use a photo editor to crop and size the picture you want to use and then store it on one of the free sites. If you don't use one of them already, there is a link to Gravatar on the edit page. I have not used Gravatar but it does look like a good service.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you download IrfanView be VERY careful of the addons it will try to install. IrfanView is a decent tool, but like much freeware it WILL try to install a bunch of "crap". You have the option of not installing this stuff - IF you pay attention to the installation process.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I use blogspot.com and it is pretty easy to use and a free download. You can design your own look and it is so easy to insert pictures. I started using it so the grandkids could see where we are and what we are doing. Family and other friends also seem to enjoy my blogs.

Carol

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

I use the Google supported BLOGSPOT.COM. The Google support means it is not likely to evaporate one day taking all your memories with it. This happened to me.

I find it is easy to use and free. There are lots of templates to start you off.

The pictures will appear in a separate folder on Picassa which is useful.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

I use the Google supported BLOGSPOT.COM. The Google support means it is not likely to evaporate one day taking all your memories with it. This happened to me.

….

This was a real concern for me. I wanted our "blog" to be our own personal journal of our travels complete with our photos and maps. With tripjournal.com we can get a DVD of our journal every year or so. The DVD becomes our personal/permanent record. It can be played back and viewed on our computer using a web browser just as if we were viewing it on the web.

Many of us probably remember full time RVer and blogger "Tioga George". He had an interesting and widely followed blog with several years of entries. Sadly, he lost several years of entries due to some foul-up at the blog host. If I remember right he was using Google's web hosting service when it happened - but it could easily happen with any of them.

Also, if you are using a Mac it is very easy to create a small "avatar" photo from any photo you want to use. Just "export" the photo from iPhoto as a .jpg and set the size option to the number of pixels desired.

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Many companies that offer a web presence also include backups as a part of the service. I've had to use that recovery option more than once when an update went wrong. What I learned to do is to keep the information I'm posting on my local computer and local backup too as well as on the remote site. It is a very small additional effort but if you ever need it it is a lifesaver if you have an issue between server backups.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If *I* could figure out how to use BlogSpot/Blogger, then anyone can.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

As far as the risk of losing all of your memories, I write my blog on the laptop (iWork Word) and just cut and past into my blog. Then I go through and create hot links or add pictures. Final step is to copy the blog and past it back into my Word doc. Then I have a full record on my own laptop.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

+1 for Google's Blogger platform (formerly called Blogspot). If you've never blogged before, I would steer you away from WordPress. Although it is superior to Blogger in most ways, it is more complicated to use. Blogger is simple, solid, free, and will do what you need.

Lodestar Knife & Tool

Dozens of vintage and custom knives for sale!

2008 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2014 Scamp 13

Add another vote for Google Blogger. I use WordPress and have good luck with it. I'm of the opinion Blogger would be easier. When selecting a blog service I considered if they would be around years from now and think both will.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

another vote for blogspot.

and you CAN back ti up to your PC, but even better than that,

I compose my posts using Microsoft Live Writer. It keeps a local copy of each post on my computer, and when I am done composing, i just post it to my blog site. It also allows me to compose when I don't have internet, and post it when I do, which happens a lot.

Sue

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

While Blogspot is easy to use, a more flexible approach that provides a local copy on your computer is to purchase a domain, choose an ISP, and produce your own website. I do LakeshoreImages with Dreamweaver, hosted by 1&1, but also do a daily update (while traveling) using blogger.

While Blogger is easier, you need an internet connection to use it (if posting directly). With Dreamweaver, you can build daily pages & post them when you get a connection. I also find it easier to control photo layout in Dreamweaver than Blogger. On the other hand, Blogger is a quick, easy way to do a simple blog. Both methods have advantages.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

I really like Wordpress but for someone getting started I'd also suggest Blogger - you'll have your first post up within minutes. Or if you are so inclined you might want to consider creating a Facebook page and just using it - especially if your family and friends are already Facebook regulars.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Archived