Strange reaction from RVer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, whether folks are enjoying a new 45' DP with all the bells and whistles or a restored '68 VW Westy, we're all RV'ers.

well said and I completely agree!! I looked at those big buses to I almost went for one!! then I thought to myself where in the hell would I park it :lol::lol: except on the freeway on in truck stops or rv parks :blink:

• 3 months later...

I was curious what RV she had too, but I didn't get a chance to see which one she went to before we left. :unsure:

rving and camping has changed over the years. today it seems to be a competition of who has the biggest rig. I think it's ridiculous when people have flat screen TV's on the out side and with some of the rigs I see going down the road it makes you wonder if some of em can even light a camp fire :blink::lol:. I get really confused when I see an electrical post at a tent site :blink::wacko::lol:

rving and camping has changed over the years. today it seems to be a competition of who has the biggest rig. I think it's ridiculous when people have flat screen TV's on the out side and with some of the rigs I see going down the road it makes you wonder if some of em can even light a camp fire...

As one who does campground host volunteer positions from time to time, I assure you that there are plenty of people out there who have no idea what it takes to get a campfire started, especially if you take away all of their fire starters whether liquid or solid. This old, former Scout Master has taught more than one visitor how to get a fire started and some of those were in tents too.

You are certainly correct that RVing has changed but there are still a few minimalists out there and the tent sales business is still pretty healthy as well. If you visit the public campgrounds which have tenting areas you will see that they are still well used in most areas and while some such sites do have electricity, most in the public parks do not but tenters who want it very often get an RV site to have both electricity and water in their site. We watched a site with two tenting families on it last summer prepare their dinner in an electric skillet and start a campfire with one of those electric charcoal starters. Next morning they made coffee in an electric coffee maker and pancakes on an electric grill. But at least they did have the kids outdoors and they seemed to have a great time.

Years ago we used to see big motorhomes stop near us and use an air conditioner, TV, and all of the amenities of home and we laughed about that not being camping. When we got older and bought ourselves an RV that was self-contained and even came with it's own generator to supply 120V power, we realized that most older people in them realize that it isn't camping. When I see a young family in one I often think that the kids are being cheated of the real camping experience, but we older folks have probably had that experience and have outgrown the desire to sleep on the ground without running water or air conditioning! ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

rving and camping has changed over the years. today it seems to be a competition of who has the biggest rig. I think it's ridiculous when people have flat screen TV's on the out side and with some of the rigs I see going down the road it makes you wonder if some of em can even light a camp fire :blink::lol:. I get really confused when I see an electrical post at a tent site :blink::wacko::lol:

To me, the distinction is clear. There is rv'ing and there is camping. The two are not necessarily the same, nor are they contradictory. Anyone who calls a 35' luxurious motorhome or travel trailer with two tv's, microwave, full bathroom, etc. a camper..........has never been camping. However, there's no reason one can't take their luxury RV to a campground and have a campfire and enjoy the moment as much as someone in a tent or popup camper. Location, location, location. I could never afford a piece of property or a house in some of the scenic areas I've parked my RV.

For me, the choice was easy. I wanted to be able to park my home wherever the mood struck me. I wanted something mobile that I could take to the mountains in the summer and the coast in the winter. I enjoy living my retirement in various areas of the USA, experiencing their local flavor, nature, and the unique peoples of that locale. At the same time, I wanted to have most of the comforts that I had grown accustomed to most of my adult life.

I've lived in my RV for seven years. In that time, I've only been "camping" a few times. I don't have any problem distinguishing the two.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

We still like to go tent camping. In fact, we've been shopping around for a new tent since we gave our last 10x10 model to our kids so they can take our granddaughter camping.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I guess I'm one of those people with large RVs that are disdained by some. Tough. I'm not "camping". I'm living my life in my RV instead of a house - and have for 15 years. Enjoying the outdoor lifestyle, and I don't find it any problem to move my large rig from place to place, and enjoy my life - just like others. Oh, and I sure do know how to light a campfire. I've backpacked probably more than most, camped in tents, camped in motorhomes, vans, and travel trailers. The fact that I now have a large rig that I LIVE in does not make me less of an RVer than others....but each to their own. The good thing about this life is that each gets to do it their way.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

It really is a case where different people react differently while experiencing the same experience...

We camped in parks with our 1988 F150, nice warm dry shell to sleep under. Propane cooking stove, etc. One trip, we had a mix of other campers in truck, vans, and heck - even tent people too. In this camp, were also a group of about 15 Bluebird Glass A's - all traveling together. Great conversations with a few of the owners during the three days we were in this camp. And also a few that Bird owners that seemed to look down on those of us without a Bird. No skin off our back, as I still had the positive experience to talking to some nice people (yeah, even some of the 'tenter's' too), and had no problem ignoring those that were not as nice:)!

Flash forward two decades or so, and we had our new to us used 98 T28 Bounder! Gee, sort of the same mix of experience when we visited a park that happened to be having a meeting of Monaco owners (You know how they can be...) (Yes, KIDDING:)!). I even heard one lady comment as she was walking by in a small group, that the park should not have mixed 'Bounders' (oh the humanity) in with their group. (She did not see me, until I could not help but laugh at her comment. Then she rapidly turned her head and looked straight ahead as they walked on by...) Had a great weekend, and met some very nice Monaco owners (First time I'd seen an Executive up close, great gent, and he shared his knowledge freely. He's now off the road, and living in a mobile home park close to his family in Northern California. We email back and forth two or three times a year.)

On a recent trip in our CC thru AZ, NM, TX, CO - we were in an RV Park in Santa Fe when Class B Unity pulled into the spot next to us. I really like the look and craftsmanship of these units. Said Hi to the lady driving it, and was ignored. A day or two later, I said Hi again - this time she responded with a nod. I was outside cleaning off some road dust for about 20 mins, before she came over and started up with a lecture on how much diesel I was consuming - and did we really need to have such an environmentally insensitive RV? I politely wished her a nice day, and suggested she do as she pleased - and I would do the same.

Same trip, and a younger couple in Flagstaff with an older tent trailer were across from us for a few days. Again no response to a Hi, so that was OK, we just let them be. A few days later, I could see he was having problems removing a nut with the tools that he had. I grabbed my socket wrench set and took it over for him, and said just return it when he was done. A few hours later I saw him walking over, and met him. He said that he'd heard me say Hi a few days earlier, and apologized for not responding. He said he felt we'd have nothing in common to talk about. After about 20 mins of conversation, it became clear he had an issue with any camper that was newer/bigger and I think the key was 'more expensive' his tent trailer. Probably in his mid to late 20's. I explained that we started out in a then old 68 VW Campervan. And as many people do in life, raised our family and had our careers. And that we had had good role models in both of our parents - in only buying what we could afford. But more importantly to 'enjoy ourselves' along the way. Invited him for few minutes, and showed him a picture frame that had our Five person tent, VW Camper, F150 with shell, Bounder and now the CC all in the same frame. I stressed that we had enjoyed them all, and the key was to do the right things for yourselves, and preparing for the future - but to keep getting out and having fun with each other as you do so. No idea if he bought any of my comments, but felt it was worth passing on my opinion.

Jerks, great people, lonely people, sick people, drunks, even Escapees - you meet all kinds while doing this RV thing. Take and assume the best of the people you meet along the way. But also be willing when proven to be the right thing to do, to ignore and or move on from people that have no interest in talking with you...

Great times behind us, great times now, and looking forward to more ahead. Hope to meet you down the road, or in the park if you are less mobile. And Barb, I like a nice red when we meet!!!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I guess I'm one of those people with large RVs that are disdained by some. Tough. I'm not "camping". I'm living my life in my RV

I really think that there are some who look down the nose at others, no matter what they happen to be in or be doing. There are others who are friendly to all over the same range of situations. What makes one a snob is not what they choose to use in a campground but their own attitude. Those who wish to built themselves up by looking down on someone else will always find some reason to do so I find more folks in campgrounds to be friendly than snobby and that is a lot of the attraction to me. If someone wants to look down at me, it is their loss for isolating themselves. And they also miss out on the privilege of getting to know me! :lol:

We have not had much experience on the road yet (house goes up next week) but I could see myself saying we are fulltimers early in a conversation since "where are you from--seems to be a campground conversationer opener". I myself don't tend to get involved in long conversations since I tend to be quite introverted. I have good will toward all but I can see how an extrovert could find me a disappointing encounter.

Dave and Lana Hasper

I'm with you Kirk. I'm pretty friendly and will talk with anyone. I especially like to talk to people that have built their own RVs or built out a bus, etc. Always interesting conversations. I simply avoid the snobs and jerks - although I'll admit to not meeting too many of those....In fact, my observation is that the people you might "think" would be more snobbish tend not to be. I have rarely met anyone in a Newell or Prevost that was in that category.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

We have only been in RV parks the last few years when we are visiting family in large cities where there is no place to boondock/dry-camp (dry camping to us is using National Forest/National Park CGs). Last time was in July in Spokane. Have to admit that "transients" are placed in the worst spots. So all we really know are semi-backcountry boondockers. Have really liked the folks we have met and all have solar in varying degrees of refinement.

Currently mootchdocking at older son's place at 7800' in mountains of northern NM. He and grandson built a pad for us with sewage outlet. He is off-grid himself with solar, solar powered well, etc. Glad he put in the well since now we don't have to drive to Las Vegas, NM to fill up 6 x 6 gallon Jerrycans to fill the freshwater tank. Rained 1.75" in two days and washed our solar panels so we are getting 5% more power.

Reed and Elaine

rving and camping has changed over the years...I get really confused when I see an electrical post at a tent site

When we had a tent trailer back in the 70s friends taught us anyone camping with an electrical cord could cook in an electric skillet or crock pot. They wanted us to bring something GOOD to the potluck. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think that mentioning that you're a full timer is like a pat on the back because u made it to the pinnacle of the RV world or the RV world as you envision it. A statement of pride.

2008 F350 Lariat 4X4, PSD, DW, Crew Cab, 4:30, Long Bed, Tow Boss

B&W Turnover Ball Campanion Hitch 18K

Transfer Flow In Bed Auxiliary Fuel Tank 50 Gallon

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE

We still like to go tent camping. In fact, we've been shopping around for a new tent since we gave our last 10x10 model to our kids so they can take our granddaughter camping.

WDR

I went tent camping one in my life. and it rained and the tent had a hole in it and I got soaked and ever since then I said screw it :lol::o

When we had a tent trailer back in the 70s friends taught us anyone camping with an electrical cord could cook in an electric skillet or crock pot. They wanted us to bring something GOOD to the potluck. :)

Linda Sand

I used to go camping in a tent one then in travel trailers after getting soaked :lol: !! I always camped in the woods in a travel trailer after getting soaked!! I knew there was RV parks and I was young and I thought they were just for rver's I didn't even know they had spots for tent camping let alone electric posts :lol::P

I think that mentioning that you're a full timer is like a pat on the back because u made it to the pinnacle of the RV world or the RV world as you envision it. A statement of pride.

Not necessarily, there are a few that said *&^%@#$ after a really nasty divorce and decided not to have a S&B again, and jumped into full-timing head first blindfolded.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I suspect that most who define themselves as fulltimers are doing so with at least some degree of pride, partly due to the fact that so many of us who go fulltime had dreamed of doing so for a long time before it actually happened. In any group that can be defined there will be some who look down upon those not part of that group but I don't think fulltimers are especially guilty of it for the most part. There does tend to be a social tie among those who are or have been fulltimers, but that connection can be as strong or nearly so for those who snowbird or do extended summer travels as well. There is something about the freedom of having been real estate free that is hard to describe.

Well, Kirk, since you are no longer a FULLTIMER, I sure don't want to talk to you any more. ..... ;) You are now just "one of those vacationers".... :)

www.jackdanmayer.com

Well, Kirk, since you are no longer a FULLTIMER, I sure don't want to talk to you any more. ..... ;) You are now just "one of those vacationers".... :)

Yup! Lost my claim to fame so am back to just a common tourist............. Hang my head in shame, but thank you for lowering yourself to at least tell us goodby. You were very lucky to have gotten to know me! :rolleyes:

We full time...just dont fulltime all of the time.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

.... Wonder if maybe because they are putting up a defense where none is needed ....

Is identifying yourself as a full-timer (or whatever) really "putting up a defense" ... or is it simply an attempt to help folks understand where you're coming from.

My wife and I are new to RVing ... we've only had our coach for a couple of months now. Most of our trips have been weekend jaunts to one of the numerous nearby state parks. We use our state's online reservation system to find and reserve our site prior to leaving the house. Needless to say - we have no idea about who we'll be parked next to. While we're not fulltimers (yet! :D ) - it's very clear that our RV lifestyle is often quite different than that of many of our neighbors.

When it's just the two of us - we spend a fair amount of time indoors, we watch TV, we keep a relatively spartan exterior (a small mat near the door, a couple of folding chairs, etc. Unlike many (if not most) of our neighbors - we're not travelling with children, we don't keep a fire going throughout our stay, we're not outdoors constantly, we typically don't eat outdoors, etc. Our 43 ft, tag axle rig is usually the biggest and (I suspect) the most expensive toy on the block - and as such, it gets more than its share of stares. We're not on a weekend camping getaway ... but rather trying to get a feel for what our day to day life will be life living out of a motorhome.

Again, it's very clear that our RV lifestyle is often very different than that of many of our neighbors in most of the campgrounds we've visited so far. That's not a value judgment - but rather an acknowledgement of the obvious. If I knew of a name for our "style" of RVing ... I suspect I'd probably toss it out there early on in conversation as well.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Archived