Strange reaction from RVer

There are often posts from people here about how they don't like being in an area with a lot of park models because they get treated differently. Well on Tuesday I got that reaction from an RVer (an Escapee no less). There is an RV parked across from us with Texas license plates and I have not seen them outside when we are outside, but on Tuesday the wife was walking the dogs and I went across to introduce myself, etc. I used the ice breaker of "another Texan plate - what part of Texas", she explained Austin, but they are Escapees and FULLTIMERS - yes, emphasis on the fulltimers - and an ice curtain descended.

Seemed so funny - a month ago I'm sure we would have chatted if we had still be in the MH, and it is stored just around the corner until spring; but we have become "those" people.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad. She must have had a bad experience or two.

You know we will still talk to you and go out for breakfast.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

There are often posts from people here about how they don't like being in an area with a lot of park models because they get treated differently.

Well, well, well . . . how the mighty have fallen!

I guess we'll have to talk to Travis about adding a Park Model forum, eh? ;)

Yeah, we pretty much didn't care for park models -- until we bought one. You know how that works.

I guess if I get that You're-Not-a-Fulltimer-Because-You-Stay-In-a-Park-Model attitude, I'll just show them the "Recreational Vehicle" ID plate on our park model. Sure it's an RV! It's just really, really slow.

Congrats, Barb, I'm pretty sure you'll love it.

BTW, does it have a loft? Those park model people with lofts are really snobs!

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Sometimes I wonder if we are not too sensitive about such things? It is always easy to start a heated and lengthy thread by asking to define who is really a fulltimer. I wonder how the story would go if told by the lady from the motorhome? :P

We now live in a barndominium with the RV just outside of our door for several months at a time. Not sure just what that makes us, but I don't know that I really care either.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We've always been around/next to park models in the winter and never had the problems others have described. Wonder if maybe because they are putting up a defense where none is needed.

Just an interesting observation.

Hmmm, since the PM is classified as an RV, are we still fulltimers?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We havent really noticed anyone in a Park model acting differently towards us but we have definately noticed fulltimers stating very early in the conversation that they are fulltimers...not sure why they feel the need to do so. I respond that we are snowbirds , doesnt seem to bother them that Ive noticed but I could be oblivious as well. My wife says I am sometimes....lol

As far as being fulltimers, I feel that for the 6 months that we live in our. MH we are definitely fulltimers. Where the conversation sometimes goes wanky is when I mention that we wander around and dont stay put in one spot for the winter.....we get weird looks for some reason.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

We stayed at a place called Twin Lakes in Chocowinity NC for 8 months while I was finishing a contract after the house sold. This place has hundred's of sites if not 1000+. But the transient sites are in the less nice, more prone to flooding area that is usually the focal point of the golf cart parade every weekend. All the weekenders cruise by to gawk, at the "campers". We stayed in the transient area because it was the cheapest option for us, but it was aggravating at times. We did flip it back on them on occasion though, when we would pull out for a 3 day mountain weekend or beach weekend, and they would all ask where we went etc. My classic response was that the "Camper has wheels, and I needed a new front yard view from time to time". That usually shut them up. When the weather got cold though, there were only 10-12 of us that stayed there fulltime, so those folks were friendly after awhile.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We've always been around/next to park models in the winter and never had the problems others have described. Wonder if maybe because they are putting up a defense where none is needed.

Just an interesting observation.

Hmmm, since the PM is classified as an RV, are we still fulltimers?

Barb

You know how it goes Barb. Ask 10 people to define full timing and you will get 10 different answers.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Seems to me that you may be reading way too much into your encounter and making some unwarranted assumptions. Who knows how your meeting would have gone a month ago? Some people are just not social, and at other times folks are not feeling well or have things on their mind. Perhaps some family news was weighing heavily on her and she just didn't feel like talking. You mention that you had not seen them outside, so maybe they are just homebodies who really don't enjoy meeting other folks. Or maybe they just feel socially awkward and don't enjoy "chatting" with folks.

My point is that we often assume that someone has made a judgement about us when it does not exist. It appears you made a judgement about her as well. There's a good chance that neither are warranted or accurate. What would your reaction been if she had reacted to you in the exact same way a month ago? Would you have assumed she was put off by the fact that your motorhome was bigger, newer or more expensive?

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Haven't noticed the difference between people living in a park model to the ones in an RV. Or being we are full-time RVing and your not attitude in the park we are at. We do have a few grumpy people here, but it's not because of what they live in, it's just the way they are.

There are always those that feel their way is the only correct way.

A nice mix here with always someone around to help out with projects or if something comes up that needs fixing.

Jim & Vickie
'07 F150
'10 Chalet XL1935
Chimacum, Wa

Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website:

http://www.evergreencohoskprvpark.com/

Evergreen Coho SKP on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evergreen-Coho-SKP-RV-Park/563601217103332

We have never had a Rv'er introduce them selves by saying Hi My name is ....... and I am a full timer and we have that MH over there.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We were having breakfast in a KOA meeting room earlier this year, when I heard one woman loudly tell another, "You can tell they're not fulltimers because their motorhome is too short. Fulltimers all have at least 40 footers." Several folks in the room seemed to have a choking issue about then. :D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We've always been around/next to park models in the winter and never had the problems others have described.

We were in a very upscale park in FL which was ~75% park models and the PM people would smile at you like the Stepford Wives with no interest in conversation. If they drove by in their golf carts they wouldn't even look at the RVers.

But this was an ownership park and it's quite possible that the PM "owners" didn't bother with PM "renters" either.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Hey, Kirk I like you new term "barndominium" I'm sure it pretty nice. You've spent enough years on the road to call yourself anything you want. Enjoy you winter in the barndominium.

We now live in a barndominium with the RV just outside of our door for several months at a time.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

.........we have definately noticed fulltimers stating very early in the conversation that they are fulltimers...not sure why they feel the need to do so.

As I look back to our first years on the road, I suspect that we were among those who were fairly quick to state that we were fulltime and have come to believe that one of the reasons is that it is often the fulfillment of a long term dream and that we say it as much to reassure ourselves as to share it with others. It is such a thrill for the first few years that we do look for opportunities to discuss it with others. I suspect that those early in the fulltime experience are much more likely to point it out. It's not that we thought that made us better but that we were so very excited about the lifestyle and that tends to make us evangelists for the new life.

My point is that we often assume that someone has made a judgement about us when it does not exist.

I think that this is a very good point and is frequently true in any group or lifestyle. A minister friend once pointed out to me that in order to express an opinion about another person you must first judge him. We probably make judgements of others constantly, even though we may prefer to think that we don't do that but it is a very difficult thing to avoid doing. :unsure:

Hey, Kirk I like you new term "barndominium" I'm sure it pretty nice.

We love our new home-base. It is a steel industrial building with an apartment & RV pad inside. Most of our community is made up of them. th_web_home.jpg

We met an older lady that had been full timing for 9 years by herself, in an A-liner.

We met a couple who lived in a pop-up fulltime some years ago and they were in their 3rd year on the road. I often wonder how long they stayed out with it. They were campground hosts at Cochise Natl. Mon.

Kirk, I like your barndominium. Something I may look into. Is the community very large and if you don't mind me asking where is Texas is this located.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Welcome to the Escape forums! We are happy to have you with us.

Kirk, I like your barndominium. Something I may look into. Is the community very large and if you don't mind me asking where is Texas is this located.

I'll respond via a private message, to avoid hijacking the thread. :)

As I look back to our first years on the road, I suspect that we were among those who were fairly quick to state that we were fulltime and have come to believe that one of the reasons is that it is often the fulfillment of a long term dream and that we say it as much to reassure ourselves as to share it with others. It is such a thrill for the first few years that we do look for opportunities to discuss it with others. I suspect that those early in the fulltime experience are much more likely to point it out. It's not that we thought that made us better but that we were so very excited about the lifestyle and that tends to make us evangelists for the new life.

LOL! I had to laugh at this. We are just starting our second year fulltiming and this exactly describes me. I am so excited and love it so much that I will talk the ear off anyone who asks about it.

Because I know that we will eventually come off the road, I enjoy talking to folks who are snowbirding, half-timing, or whatever other solution they have found when they have to stop traveling fulltime. There are a lot of good ideas out there. Your "barndominium" looks like something my Hubby would be interested in. We once met someone who had an airplane hangar with an apartment attached. Hubby had stars in his eyes about all the workshop space.

2005 Teton Frontier Experience 39'

1999 Volvo 610

1988 Suzuki Samurai

2008 KTM 450 EXCR

2009 goofy Weimaraner

Attack life! It's going to kill you anyway.

We met an older lady that had been full timing for 9 years by herself, in an A-liner. Before that she and her deceased husband had been on the road for several years in a small travel trailer. Wonderful company!

I think I met her too (there can't be that many who fit that description). If her husband was a lumberjack, she's the same one I met.

Kirk, if you live in a barn that must mean you are livestock - much better than deadstock anyday. :wacko: At least until you mooo-ve. Holy cow that was a bad joke - udderly ridiculous. I guess I'll have to hoof it out of here after that one.

Chip

There are often posts from people here about how they don't like being in an area with a lot of park models because they get treated differently. Well on Tuesday I got that reaction from an RVer (an Escapee no less). There is an RV parked across from us with Texas license plates and I have not seen them outside when we are outside, but on Tuesday the wife was walking the dogs and I went across to introduce myself, etc. I used the ice breaker of "another Texan plate - what part of Texas", she explained Austin, but they are Escapees and FULLTIMERS - yes, emphasis on the fulltimers - and an ice curtain descended.

Seemed so funny - a month ago I'm sure we would have chatted if we had still be in the MH, and it is stored just around the corner until spring; but we have become "those" people.

Barb

I'm in a park in south Texas for the winter with a lot of park models. I would be hard pressed to think of a place where I've found a more friendly bunch of people. I'm rather new at being a "full-timer" so I guess I just don't understand the "pecking order".

Barb, as I read your post my thought would be that possibly they were new to RVing. Maybe they spent decades working and raising a family and they were proud to be "out and about" and traveling the country. Proud to be full-timers and nothing more than that was meant. Is it possible that you were the one who lowered the "ice curtain"?

As I age and go through life I truly believe in that saying. . . "You find what it is that you look for"

There is no offence intended here. I am simply saying maybe, like me, she was thinking on a simpler level and meant no harm at all.

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

When one turns their back on you and walks away without any statement, it is kind of a sign that you are not someone they want to associate with.

Not offended - usually I don't get that until they learn I'm "that Barbaraok". :lol: I hadn't mentioned being on line, etc.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Had a similar experience today.

Hubby and I checked in to Dream Catcher park in Deming, our first time to stay at an SKP park. While hooking up utilities, a couple we met the previous night pulled in and stopped to say hi. While we were chatting, an older woman walking her dog came up behind the bus. Hubby and I both smiled and waved but she just turned her back while she watched her dog pee on our car wheel.

Not sure what her problem was but I'm sure that's not common. I've seen it before, where people just don't want to let reality interfere with their preconceived ideas ;) but today was the worst case I've seen in a year.

Archived