Yet another inconsiderate neighbor .......

Been full-timing for a year. Lots of great experiences but some things I wasn't really expecting that diminishes the lifestyle.

Right now we are in a nearly empty RV park. 150 spaces and maybe 20 occupants. Night before last someone pulls in 2 spaces away. I don't know why so close, there is nothing exceptional about the space or area we are in. And he gets here at 11:30 pm. And proceeds to spend the next hour banging around with a flashlight setting up and unloading his vehicle contents into the RV. Must have slammed vehicle and RV doors a couple dozen times. My wife wouldn't let me ask him if my sleep was interrupting his noise making.

Yesterday at dinner he brings his dog out to the area behind his RV - which is the "front yard" of the space between us. Dog does his business (that was nice to watch while eating dinner) and walks away. No clean up and the dog crap is still laying there. I admit it, people like this are causing me to quickly turn into a dog-hater.

Now he has every exterior light turned on (many he has added in addition to the standard lights) and is blasting Beach Boys music. It's so loud I can hear it inside over my television. The multi-colored lights under his RV flash in sync with the music. I wouldn't mind the lights but does the music have to be so loud?

I'm paid up for two more nights here at the campground so I'm not feeling like leaving is a legitimate option. And I guess it doesn't bother me enough to move sites. Just trying to understand the inconsiderate nature of some people. I really enjoy traveling and God has blessed me to be able to do this but, truth to tell, this full-timing lifestyle is often more like living in subsidized housing than the relaxing in the wilderness by a lake and enjoying the peacefulness of nature experience that I expected.

Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Visit with the manager then fill out a park review, it will at least warn others that the management there isn't doing a decent job.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

"Hey, you forgot to pick up after your dog. I have a baggy if you need it"

To manager, "I was going to give park an 8 rating, but between the loud music, dog poop, and other behavior of the person you put by us, I will have to lower it and explain why on RV Parks Review"

No one can take advantage of you unless you let them. And unless you speak up they assume you don't care.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I'm really thankful my parents raised me to make consideration of others an important thing when making decisions about what I do and how I do it. Perhaps it's just my perception, but I think that is a quality in people these days that seems to be diminishing. You have way more patience than I do. And in our case, it would have probably been me telling my wife not to pay them a visit ;).

Please don't "hate" the dog. It wasn't the fault of the dog but of his inconsiderate human. And as others have said.... Pay a visit to the manager. Happy travels, Dennis.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I'd be tempted to let the neighbor know his actions are not appreciated. Perhaps he is unaware he is upsetting someone else even if it seems logical that he should.

If he is disrespectful and continues with the behavior then he is taking the wrong path.

Thanks for posting the topic. For those of us with no experience full-timing, it's good to hear what can go wrong.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

Yes, there are a few that apparently don't have the situational awareness that tells them to pay attention to what they are doing. Look out for who is around them and act accordingly. Luckily we do have wheels on our homes so we can rectify the situation, but it sure makes you want to take them by the scruff of the neck and shake them a few times. We have run into a few, but not many, and generally our experience has been pretty positive.

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

We have noticed a change in people over the years, There appears to be a larger number of folks that just do not care about what they do and how others receive their actions. That does not mean that we should not hope for them to change--they may just not know any better!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

People bring their lifestyles with them. If a person lives in a neighborhood where this is the norm, how will he know it is not appreciated in the campground? That does not excuse it but it does help understand it.

I have been in situations where the perpetrator had no idea his actions were not appropriate. After a respectful visit, they almost always modify their behavior. In the few instances where they did not, I had a talk with the campground authority and they handled it.

We have not had such a bad experience that we packed up and left, but it could happen.

I also try to keep in mind that my desires do not necessarily trump anyone else's. Sometimes we have to look at ourselves and realize that others live differently.

Just like the dog not knowing he is doing something wrong, many campers do not know their actions are not appropriate. We can train the dogs and hopefully, we can train the campers.

If not, as always, we do have wheels...

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

I had a similar thing happen to me years ago.

We camped in a "closed" Forest Service campground. Remember those days when the Forest Service left the campground gates open even thought the campground was "officially" closed!! You were free to use the campground by bringing your own water, toilet paper, and packing out your garbage.

It was a huge 200 unit campground and we were the ONLY people in it when our "neighbors" pulled into the spur next to us. He walked over and asked if I was going to keep me dogs off-leash while he was there. Then he asked a bunch of other questions, but closed with a question about BEARS.

He was afraid of BEARS. So for security he wanted to camp next to us!! I was so mad I made plans to get up at 2:00am and start banging on pots and pans and yelling so I could scare the "bear" out of camp!!

For lots of people it is about security. Now for most people in this forum they are NOT afraid of the DARK, NOT afraid of BEARS, and pretty much self-sufficient. I am sorry to say you are probably the last generation with those attributes. Lots of folks these days are AFRAID of the DARK. They are either afraid of bears or want to take "selfies" of themselves with bears. Clueless.

I suppose the best strategy might be as people pull in next to you is to mention that you really want your privacy. In my case, I might tell them that we are "practicing" nudist and it is NOT a pretty sight!!

Those folks are trying to meet THEIR needs by pulling in next to you......you should make them aware of YOUR needs.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Was this a low cost park? What is the condition of the RV? I hate to group people together, but this sounds just like some of the experiences I have had with weekend users of local RV Parks. It seems that those people (a small minority by the way) that only use their RV's irregularly do not care as much about their neighbors as the majority of us do.

We are a closely knit community in most cases. A few bad apples just makes it miserable for their neighbors. Perhaps, as has been stated, they live like that at home as well. I would be down to the park office right away. There is no sense getting in a shouting match with this person.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Only once has this happened to us in over 4yrs.. We were in a campground that was pretty much empty, but they parked right next to us. It was late when they came in, and like the OP lots of noise. We were planning on leaving the next day anyway, so I decided we'd get an early start. I cranked up the diesel at 4am, and let it idle for the entire time I was putting things away, making sure my bay doors made a nice loud thunk when closing. Then we of course had to hook up the towed, check all the lights, and of course the horn. All the lights were off in their RV when we started, but all on by the time we left. I know I shouldn't have stooped to their level, and I wouldn't have if others were anywhere near us. I'm a BAAADDD person, but every once in awhile ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

I think that we may sometimes forget that not everyone is the same as us. Rvs are also called campers for

a reason. Some people actually just camp in them and just want to have fun without all the constraints of"city" living.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

Guest Pensauncola

I think that we may sometimes forget that not everyone is the same as us. Rvs are also called campers for

a reason. Some people actually just camp in them and just want to have fun without all the constraints of"city" living.

I agree, but why would anyone go to an RV park to go camping?

And, pulling in at 11:30 pm, one should make an extra effort to not disturb others, even when "camping....without all the constraints".

And he gets here at 11:30 pm.

To manager, "I was going to give park an 8 rating, but between the loud music, dog poop, and other behavior of the person you put by us, I will have to lower it and explain why on RV Parks Review"

I doubt that the manager had anything to do with the site assignment at 11:30PM unless there were specific late arrival instructions to take that site first and so on.

We have found that how parks assign sites is highly variable. Some spread arrivals out and then fill in the gaps. Others like to keep folks in a single area. We will often ask to be moved to a site farther away from the occupied sites then the one originally assigned and most parks will accomodate that request. However, that doesn't prevent an after hours arrival from pulling in next door.

I cranked up the diesel at 4am,

We have observed this numerous times at sites next to us and all throughout campgrounds. I don't think it is always payback for noisy or inconsiderate neighbors and I don't think it is only weekenders as it happens any/every day of the week. I really like the parks that lock the gate at night and give the paid customers a card/combination/key. We have even stayed at a few state parks and COE campgrounds that close the gate.

Been full-timing for a year. Lots of great experiences but some things I wasn't really expecting that diminishes the lifestyle.

Right now we are in a nearly empty RV park. 150 spaces and maybe 20 occupants. Night before last someone pulls in 2 spaces away. I don't know why so close, there is nothing exceptional about the space or area we are in. And he gets here at 11:30 pm. And proceeds to spend the next hour banging around with a flashlight setting up and unloading his vehicle contents into the RV. Must have slammed vehicle and RV doors a couple dozen times. My wife wouldn't let me ask him if my sleep was interrupting his noise making.

Yesterday at dinner he brings his dog out to the area behind his RV - which is the "front yard" of the space between us. Dog does his business (that was nice to watch while eating dinner) and walks away. No clean up and the dog crap is still laying there. I admit it, people like this are causing me to quickly turn into a dog-hater.

Now he has every exterior light turned on (many he has added in addition to the standard lights) and is blasting Beach Boys music. It's so loud I can hear it inside over my television. The multi-colored lights under his RV flash in sync with the music. I wouldn't mind the lights but does the music have to be so loud?

I'm paid up for two more nights here at the campground so I'm not feeling like leaving is a legitimate option. And I guess it doesn't bother me enough to move sites. Just trying to understand the inconsiderate nature of some people. I really enjoy traveling and God has blessed me to be able to do this but, truth to tell, this full-timing lifestyle is often more like living in subsidized housing than the relaxing in the wilderness by a lake and enjoying the peacefulness of nature experience that I expected.

Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent.

I put the fault on the RV park management. They were not enforcing quiet time, picking up after their pets, or late night parking,

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

We had neighbor with two big dogs, and the management was always on their case about dog poop just outside of door. They had to dodge the landmines just to get back and forth to their vehicles. One afternoon we knew they were getting a nasty-gram about the dog poop. That evening when I took Tazz for her walk I looked over and their were picking dog turds with BBQ tongs. Oh, if you pick-up dog turds with BBQ tongs,you might be a redneck. In this case, they were Okie rednecks! They moved on after a few days. A happy ending to bad inconsiderate neighbors.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

I put the fault on the RV park management. They were not enforcing quiet time, picking up after their pets, or late night parking,

I have often wondered whether arriving or departing during quiet time is acceptable behavior? Diesel engines, extending slides, putting down stabilizers, hooking/unhooking the hitch can all make enough noise to wake those in an adjacent site.

There may be extenuating circumstances for some such situations. There is no doubt that the world does have it's share of rude or thoughtless people and RV travel is not totally free of them. As annoying as things can be, I try to give others the benefit of the doubt, at least in the first occasion. I think that one of Kay Peterson's sayings from the current Escapee Magazine may apply here.

"Don't waste your time on complainers or on getting revenge." :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

First try and speak with him and let him know how he has upset you. He may have had a terrible day when he finally got to the site. If he isn't understanding get creative. Speak with management. Take a picture of his rig, his tow vehicle or toad, him and the dog. Now post them to an RV forum or all of them with a descriptive thread...."Trailer Trash," Poop Head of the Day," and then leave the cleaned up dog dodo in a baggie on his step with a note giving him the link to review... If management doesn't respond or appears they don't care, post he reviews everywhere. Trip Advisor is becoming big in this (camp sites and RV resorts) area now.

Don Kostyal

CMSgt, ret USAF

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

After hours there isn't anyone around to watch whats going on. I've had my share of inconsiderate campers. IN mpst RV pars management and staff are on top of it but unfortunately there nothing you can do about inconsiderate or unknowing weekenders.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

Archived